• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Mk3 or Sako TRG 22

mackdrvr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NY....Hudson Valley
Good morning guys. I've done my research, and narrowed it down to these two rifles. I like both for different reasons, and have dislikes for different reasons. I know that these rifles speak for themselves as far as quality, craftsmanship, and accuracy. This is the question,.....and it may be a silly question, but YOU are deploying to Afghanistan for a year long deployment, and there will be heavy combat use of this weapon in all weather types. The two rifles are laying on a table in front of you, and you have to pick one. Which one are you bringing with you? I do not want to know your reasons as to which one is going with you. Just which one YOU are going to walk into combat with? AE Mk3.....or TRG 22?

Have you ever test it by yourself?

I would prefer AI

I have handled, and shot the TRG22 as my friend has one. Beautiful piece. Love the stock, action, and trigger. As of this date I have not handled any AI rifle. I would get to see, and handle an AI AE at Eurooptic when I take the ride out there to get which ever rifle suits me best.

As in my original post I'm just curious as to which rifle would be going into harms way if you guys had the choice. Thanks.

I have the TRG 22 and an AIAW both in 308. It would be a very difficult choice as to which one I would take. The TRG Trigger is better than the AIAW's and the TRG bolt is much slicker. The AIAW is slightly more accurate but heavier. So it comes down to which suits me better. When I first got the AIAW I thought because of the slightly better fit it would be my go to rifle. But over time I can to love the trigger on the TRG22. So that would be my choice over the AIAE. No matter which one you choose you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I've got both and really enjoy them both. 20" on the AI and 26" on the TRG. That way I can justify having both.

Give us a call before you buy. We have both in stock and can work up a pretty good deal for you as well as do a package with optics, slings, bipods, etc.

AI AE MKIII without a doubt. I just made this decision, albeit sans the headed into combat / extreme conditions factors, and spent the money for the AI. There were a lot of factors in the decision, but the two primary ones were: 1) a bad prior experience with Beretta when I needed a replacement barrel for a Tikka T3 Tactical (they claimed ATF wouldn't allow them to import barrels) and 2) the AI is overbuilt to such an extent that I have no doubt it will outlive, as well as outshoot, me.

It also didn't hurt that Mile High Shooting have a great deal on the AI AE MKIII 24" folders in .308 right now. I got the rifle + 2 spare 10rd mags + the Victor Company "Grippy Cheeks" for a hair over $3,500 shipped. No doubt the reduced pricing is due to the forthcoming arrival of the AI AT, but I don't have any need for caliber changes and I can always swap the thumbhole stock for a Viper Skin if I feel the need.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Edit: Hey Speedie.....that is a smoking deal you got. I'm going to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
For a short action (308, 260 Rem, 6.5 CM or 6.5x47) Sako TRG 22 Gen 2 folder. Ergonomics and if money are not a problem.For 338 LM AIAW.
I agree Beretta CS sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20140409_075825.jpg
    IMG_20140409_075825.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I vote AIAE MkIII as well, I own 2 folders - one in .308 and one in 6.5 Creedmoor. I was actually interested in adding a TRG 22 in .308 to my my collection. However, once Sako updated the TRG (I believe last year?), I didn't care for the updated trigger feel. The original TRG trigger was so much better, I even think it feels better than the AI trigger. Another thing to consider is the TRG factory accessories are much more expensive than AI accessories - mags, bipod, muzzle brake, etc.

my $0.02

AvsFan:cool:

Give us a call before you buy. We have both in stock and can work up a pretty good deal for you as well as do a package with optics, slings, bipods, etc.[/QUOTE]

^^^that...I've shot both AI and TRG in 308, I bought the TRG. Honestly both are equal in my opinion, and it helped that Chris n Jay gave me a smokin deal on an entire package, good dudes, rifle, spuhr mount, S & B and Atlas in my hands in 4 days

Neither, AI AT. It's not that much more than an AE (+$500) and worth every penny and then some. If you plan to change barrels you're going to spend the difference on a barrel vise, action wrench, and torque wrench anyway. Plus you get flush cups, the new low profile latch without the stupid sling hook on it, quick change barrel, 6 lug bolt, magnum bolt release, keyslot forend, and the ability to run a night vision bridge. Not to mention the 10 round double stack mags.

I really appreciate all the replies guys. ^^^^^^ Special thanks to Mr. redneckbmxer24...........now I'm looking at the AI AT. One way or another my money will be spent on an AI. Thanks again for all the help.