• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE MKIII in .308 or Rem 700

nightwolf0215

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Southern California
Hello everyone,

After a while of saving up, I finally have enough money for a decent system to start with. However, being a newbie, I dont know what I'd like yet, but I am leaning toward a USED AI AE MKIII in .308 for sale local. Either that or I can get a Rem 700 and get it tricked out. I'd like to get some input for both platform as my search has been unfruitful. I have a budget of about $4500 for the entire setups.

I own(ed) both an AIAE MKIII in .308 and have owned a Rem700 in .308 and still have one in 260Rem, 270Win, and 338Lapua. That said, I'd buy another AIAE MkIII and not even blink - it's an awesome rifle. I don't know how many rounds the previous owner put down the tube, or what his treatment of it was, but I doubt he could do much to it that it wouldn't handle. The AIAE action is super-smooth and never fails to chamber, where as my Rem700's feel like rattle-cans in comparison. Plus the 2-stage trigger on the AIAE is fantastic,... I could go on, and on, but long story short, get the AIAE and don't even think twice about it.

Ry

Here she is at the range:
AIAE_Kenmore_RightSide.jpg

Last edited:
You're comparing a basic bolt gun to one of the most high-end factory bolt guns. With that kind of budget, yeah, AI for sure.

You could send your remington off to be tricked out by any smith in the world, it's still not going to be a AIAE.

Last edited:
4500 for the "entire setup" sounds like you might end up going the 700 route. which is totally fine btw, theres a bunch of companies you can find here on the hide that could make you a badass 700 build. i only say this because ive been watching the used mkIII market for a while now and when they actually do pop up for sale they arent much less then a new one, which doest leave much at all for a scope mount and scope. that being said, since you dont know exactly what you want the mkIII is going to have a great resale value if you end up wanting something different. tough call though, good luck.

If you get a good price on a used AI you can still buy good mid range priced optics.

Oh forgot to add. Purchasing the AI would be my choice

I currently own both, although in fairness, I just got the AI this week.
One is a Corvette, the other is a Ferrari. Both are awesome, one is just a bit more pricey and rare. One does not "out-shoot" the other. My R700 has always gone bang and for what I paid for it (less than half of what I gave for the AI), it is pretty impressive.
The AI garners more stares, or "oooohhhhhhs" than the R700. The AI costs more than the R700 and the AI will probably hold its value much better.

Both will shoot little bitty groups. Truth be known, an R700 that is done up right might actually shoot tighter than most stock AIs.

I will go against the grain on this one and say spend your money on the R700.....especially if you are "just starting out".
Go with a standard R700 and do it up right as you go and become more proficient. Also, going the R700 route will allow you to spend more money on your optics.....and more importantly: ammo.

Buy once and be done with it. If you get the 700 you will have to spend a lot of time / money to get it where you want it to be & it will never be as rugged as the AI rifle would be.
The AE Mark III is an excellent rifle, but you can also get some really good deals on the AE Mark II used which is also an excellent rifle.

If your budget is $4500, then assume a good used AE could be had for around $3k to $3500 depending on the deal you find and then $1000 to $1500 would get you a pretty good scope.

Now that being said, if you really want a rifle that you'll never be wanting more, you could save up a bit more and get a used AW or AX model, used they go for $4500 to $6500, you get double stacked magazines which are way easier to reload and basically you know you have the top of the line.

The other advantage in getting one of the AI rifles is you can change the caliber simply by putting on a new barrel, no advanced gunsmithing needed, just need the barrel change kit or a friend with one and you can swap to .243, .260, 6.5 Creedmore, 338 Federal, (Just about any caliber based off a 308 case size) with ease. That is a lot harder to do with a 700.

Now on the scope, there are tons of good options, but the S&B 5-25x56 or the S&B 3-20 are pretty much the top of the line scopes that will last you forever, they usually run used about $3k give or take depending on model / condition.

You might have to stretch your budget a bit, wait a bit or put some on a credit card to pay off, but if you want the best from the get go so that you don't have to buy then sell then buy again:

Good condition Used AE Mark II or AE Mark III
S&B 5-25x56 or 3-20 scope

Then add:
Atlas Bipod
Tab Gear Elite Sling
One piece AI scope mount (45 moa model is easiest to work with if using the 5-25x56 scope), 18moa, 28moa or 45moa

Low $6k budget with some good looking around should get you everything you need.
Or $8k to $9k for the same thing with an AW or AX model.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd send a note to myself from the get go to buy the best from the start rather than finding out by trial and error in ever increasing cost steps
I wound up spending a lot on good but not best stuff and could have saved myself thousands by simply getting the best from the start, true going up all the steps gives you a good education, but at a cost.
Kind of like the old saying in photography, I can save you $500 on a tripod.... Get the $1000 model first. (Vs. the $50 one then the $150 one, then the $250 one, then the $500 one, then the $1000 one).

If I had to bet my life on a setup, it would be the AW and S&B scope combo.

Just to give you an example of being rugged, when I finally got my first AW / S&B scope combo, I had it on a concrete bench at the range, while in the cleaning holder, I didn't have it securely seated and a big gust of wind pushed it just hard enough to cause it to fall off the bench 4 feet onto the concrete scope first. Picked it back up, and apart from a scratch on it, the bullets still went though the same hole at 100 yards as before.

Now a note of significant importance however is that the above suggested rigs would be rather heavy and are not well suited for positional shooting for those of weaker upper body strength, so IF your plan is to shoot in tactical matches where they all seem to want positional shooting now for some reason, then you would be better suited by getting GAP to build you a lighter more traditional stock in the 700 type design (but using a better action), also in that same vein, a Harris Bipod with the Pod-Loc may be a better choice for tactical matches as it is faster to deploy.

I have two AWs and three custom 700s. I would recommend the AE. I have found AI to be an exceptional weapons manufacturer. The safety is great on the AI as is the 60deg bolt throw. About the only bitches you ever hear about AI is the weight and the cost. The AE is about a pound to a pound and a half lighter than an AW with the same barrel. The only other 700 I could see myself buying would be a Tac Ops, but I would get an AE before that. If you go the 700 route, you can end up with a very accurate fine rifle but dealing with custom stuff can be painful and time consuming. There is nothing worse than waiting for your build for months and months and having it show up slightly off of what you wanted. Finally, I think the used route is a great way to save some cash. I have only ever been issued one new weapon and it worked just like all the other "used" weapons I got.

Thank you for the input guys. I listened to y'all and went with the AI AE MKIII. It ended up being a 200rds down the pipe gun, having a Big Dog Steel front rail, GG&G Bipod, CTK Monopod and 2 skins. No optics yet so now I am researching furiously into the optics and data book to get started with her when she gets back to me on April 9th (CA 10 days wait, I know....). The gun ended up being about $3800. I saw one without the accessories sold on here for $3800 so I figured I was in the good and pulled the trigger. My biggest purchase just yet, and I was very iffy about it since the 700 custom will cost less. But then at the moment I saw the AI, I knew I did the right thing. She's at the dealer right now, but here is some pics on the gun that the seller sent me. She looks exactly the same now, but just no optics.

photo1_zpsabfdb5d1.jpg

2012-08-03_10-26-38_737_zps0e779f35.jpg

Now it is time for me to go and find myself a piece of optics to try this baby out! I dont feel right buying a $200 Bushnell to put on this, but I find there are so many optics options that I might want to start with something cheap and move up from there?

There are plenty of threads here discussing optics; their quality, pricepoint, quality, customer service etc etc etc.

Anyway, I think ya done real good. There are a LOT of folks that bounce from one rifle to another trying to get "just the right one" until they finally arrive at an AI.

I looks just like mine! You're gonna love it! Here's a load you should try with it,... works great in mine (< 0.5-MOA) and is pretty mild (I'm on my 9th reload with Lapua brass)

CASE: Lapua Palma 308 Brass
POWDER: 43.0gr of Varget
BULLET: 175 Sierra Match King (SMK)
PRIMER: CCI BR-4 (Small Rifle Match)
VELOCITY: 2532fps

Enjoy! Best of Luck!

Ry

well now your done, once you go AI... there isn't much else out there, lol. good choice man. i have a few custom guns on a variety of actions and there is nothing like the feel of a AI.

You could send your remington off to be tricked out by any smith in the world, it's still not going to be a AIAE.

Agreed, AIAE all the way. But I would start with a Nightforce NXS scope on such a fine rifle.. Midway is having a sale on them. Either the 3-5X56 or the 5.5-22X56 with ZS and HST for $1600 with free shipping.

Last edited:
I know! lol now I don't know what happen if I want to upgrade hahaha. Is there even an upgrade to AI? Maybe AIAW in .308? I want a nightforce too, but they are way over the budget. The rifle was 3800 so that leaves me about 700 for optics. Someone is selling a Swarovski LRS 3-12x50mm Scope locally. Anyone want to chime in on that scope?

Edit: it seems that the scope is in good condition for $800. Is that a good price?

Last edited:
I suggest Vortex pst 6-24x50 mrad ffp and let me know if your shooting in Angeles Shooting Range I'll show my AI AE as well. You bought this from [MENTION=3429]Len[/MENTION] in Calguns?