• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Question. Will it fit into a 2.0?

Cheese

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
CONUS
Project time:
I have an AI AE. I guess it would be called a Gen 1 version.
It has the original 1.0 stock that it came with.
Are there any issues with installing it on a 2.0 folder? Any mods required?

Thanks,

Re: AI AE Question

This is a reply i got when asking a similar q:

It would depend on how old your rifle is, and how it's constructed. The older ones have welded joints, and can't be switched from fixed to folding. Newer production have pressed and pinned joints, and you can contact AINA about upgrading.

Can you even get an AE chassis?

I feel it necessary to point out that an AICS wont work at all. I am sure you know that, but someone pulling this up in a search might not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you even get an AE chassis?

I feel it necessary to point out that an AICS wont work at all. I am sure you know that, but someone pulling this up in a search might not. </div></div>

I've heard you can buy AE/AW chassis from AINIA.

Yes!

So you need to look at a couple of things here to proceed.
1st: is your chassis a welded or pinned chassis, look at the joints for the forend and/or buttstock sections to where they connect to the center box. Obviously a weld or you will see a round pin on the underside. The welded chassis has be to completely replaced as where the pinned only the rear section to convert to the folder.

2nd: the cost will be more obviously due to shipping and you will be required to purchase:
-new skins, folding
-new rear half (providing this is a pinned chassis)

To Poison123, no sir, we do not sell the AE or AW chassis, we will install them here and upgrade for customers and the old chassis will not be returned to the customer either. What can be used to save you some money I will but the rest is history basically. Hope this helps and just pm or email me for further assistance.

Sorry should have expanded on that point.

Btw you've got a pm Stacey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Btw you've got a pm Stacey. </div></div>x2

Thanks Stacey,

You did a trigger job on my AE when we were on the range.
Remember it? If not I'll take it apart and have a look see.

Thanks,

Cheese, can you post up some pics once you've taken it apart. Just curious on seeing some more closeups. Thx

Oh yeah, not really remembering the chassis, sorry. Just need you to check the points, you should not have to take it apart to see the weld or pinned joints.

If your chassis is PINNED, the conversion will be cheaper as only the rear section needs to be replaced.

Here is what your looking for to identify it as a PINNED AE. This is my AE MKI

ae.jpg

If it is welded then the ENTIRE chassis needs to be swapped and the cost is higher.

I know we all speak english here but sometimes the exact same thing has to be said 12 diffrent ways for everyone to understand.

also, heres another thread that was recent that has tons of pics of welded vs. pinned.

I took the action out of the stock via removing the stock sides and then taking out the two action screws.
The SN# of the weapon is an AE7000 series.
Later on today or first thing tomorrow I will post pics of the action.
Should answer some questions.

Added pics:

PC080127.jpg

PC080126.jpg

Action held by two screws.
Thoughts???
Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the action out of the stock via removing the stock sides and then taking out the two action screws.
The SN# of the weapon is an AE7000 series.
Later on today or first thing tomorrow I will post pics of the action.
Should answer some questions.

Thanks, </div></div>

Hey brother, I guess I'm confused.

The action has nothing to do with the chassis swap. I'm pretty sure we are dealing with a MKI.

The question now is will the chassis be able to be "updated" meaning it is held together by pins or is an entire new 2.0 chassis needed if it is welded.

I guess I added to the confusion.
What I want to do is get a 2.0 chassis and drop in the action.
I heard it would then wouldn't work.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I added to the confusion.
What I want to do is get a 2.0 chassis and drop in the action.
I heard it would then wouldn't work.

Thanks </div></div>From what I understand, an AICS 2.0 WON'T work. You need either a new back chassis installed by AINA if you have a pinned chassis, OR you need a whole new receiver installed by AINA if your chassis is welded. Either way, your rifle would need to go back to AINA.

Your screwed!

Correct, an AICS in 2.0 configuration will NOT work.

Also, since your chassis is welded the less costly "upgrade" to 2.0 is not an option.

At this point you have 2 choices, deal with it being a 1.0 or fork over the $ to have your chassis swapped. And remeber as Stacey said, your OLD 1.0 chassis will not be reurned to you. So intern you will be paying $x + your chassis to get a folder. How much is a folder worth to you??

Id just sell the rifle and buy a folder, it would probably save you some money too.

frown.gif

One hell of a weapon weather it folds or not.
Plan "B" I guess.
Thank you all for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming this is pinned right?
</div></div>You are such a bastard! Show more pics of that trigger...

Yes, that is pinned, from what I know.