• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT barrel install

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
Several years ago when I purchased my first AT from Euro Optics I also purchased a couple pre-fit barrels from Robert Gradous (a 6.5 Creed and a 6xc). I swapped out the OEM 308 for the 6.5 almost immediately. I was somewhat surprised to see that the caliber engraving on the barrel was timed perfectly and appeared just above the stock skins at the 9:00 position, but it was so perfect I concluded that Mr Gradous was just that dang good. Fast forward to today and I just received my 3rd AT from EO (I'm hooked). The plan for this rifle was to swap out the OEM barrel for the 6XC that has been sitting in the safe. In doing so was caught off guard when I noticed that the timing was very different than before. On this combo the positioning of the caliber engraving is at 3:00, and is just barely peaking out from behind the stock skins. Is this common? Was the 6.5's timing just luck? I'd appreciate you guys' thoughts prior to test firing the 6xc setup this weekend.
Thanks

This is not uncommon. I recently acquired a new AT LE and the factory barrel it shipped with isn't timed correctly for the labeling or wrench flats. There's another AT LE on here as well that was also recently acquired and the laser markings on the barrel and the wrench flats are completely different from mine and it's the exact same barrel and gun. I understand it can be frustrating if you're all about symmetry but that's just how it is.

Was the 6.5's timing just luck?
It was pure coincidence that your Gradous pre-fit lined up nicely unless he had the gun when he spun up the barrel. The factory UK barrels have caliber and UK proof marks at the shooter‘s three o’clock. I’ve taken a factory UK barrel off a new AT and tried it on two other new ATs, the factory marks on the barrel were all at different positions. Install the 6xc barrel and enjoy.

Reactions: Nik H
Yeah. Don’t count on them lining up. My 6BRA custom barrel almost lines up, wrench flats on my AINA 6.5cm barrel do not line up and neither does my 308 barrel. My smith has my AI specifically to time my barrel with the caliber and his roll mark, just the little things man.

It was pure coincidence that your Gradous pre-fit lined up nicely unless he had the gun when he spun up the barrel. The factory UK barrels have caliber and UK proof marks at the shooter‘s three o’clock. I’ve taken a factory UK barrel off a new AT and tried it on two other new ATs, the factory marks on the barrel were all at different positions. Install the 6xc barrel and enjoy.
^^^^^winner winner