• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT barrel replacement

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I have a Gradous barrel now and its time to replace it. Which barrel do recommend?

I have a 16.5 Proof Research barrel that I am fixing to post. I am going another direction. I am asking 780.00 and it is threaded with a Thunder beast break. It shoots sub 1/2 and it is in .308.

I have a factory .308, a MHSA .260, and an OTM Gradous .260. They are all incredible. I’m sure the Eurooptic barrels are great too. So call around and take your pick. I’d like to try a CF Proof too.

I have a 16.5 Proof Research barrel that I am fixing to post. I am going another direction. I am asking 780.00 and it is threaded with a Thunder beast break. It shoots sub 1/2 and it is in .308.

whats the round count if you don't mind

Someone at OTM told me that Gradous was getting out of the business. And they are going to stop selling his barrels.

Last edited:
    I am absolutely thrilled with my Accurate Ordnance barrel. It’s a Brux 26” in 6.5CM. It is THE most accurate barrel I have ever shot in my life. I’ve been shooting over 30 years. Mark at Accurate is a super awesome guy to deal with. He answered every question I had, and was great to deal with. The barrel has shot multiple .5 MOA groups with Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo.

Can’t say enough good things about Mark or Accurate Ordnance.

Best shooting barrel I ever owned was a Gradous barrel. He posted a few days ago on the Accuracy International picture thread that he will still be doing barrels a long with prices.

Best shooting barrel I ever owned was a Gradous barrel. He posted a few days ago on the Accuracy International picture thread that he will still be doing barrels a long with prices.

I looked for his post and did not see it.

I am absolutely thrilled with my Accurate Ordnance barrel. It’s a Brux 26” in 6.5CM. It is THE most accurate barrel I have ever shot in my life. I’ve been shooting over 30 years. Mark at Accurate is a super awesome guy to deal with. He answered every question I had, and was great to deal with. The barrel has shot multiple .5 MOA groups with Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo.

Can’t say enough good things about Mark or Accurate Ordnance.

The price is very competitive. Too bad they don't make any AIAT barrel in 260 (at least it's not showing on their web page).

We/I/PVA makes prefit AI's regularly in a lot of calibers including 6.5 Addiction and 260. Lead time is running pretty much on par with 2-3 weeks as long as the chosen blank is in stock. If it's something like a 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed or 6.5x47 the lead is even faster since we cut those so often.

Barrels are cut to order.
    If a customer wants to send in the action and have it measured/documented then we will send it back with a replacement barrel with no additional charge on the barrel except for the difference in shipping costs. Then from there forward the customer can order replacement barrels specific to that receiver too.

Someone at OTM told me that Gradous was getting out of the business. And they are going to stop selling his barrels.

I want to know who told you that Robert Gradous was out of business. That is not true he has always been in business and he will be for many years. I would like anyone who has heard this to please call me on my cell at 386-916-1546
    Robert decided to keep all his AI barrels in house
    Thank you

Joe Walls

We are extremely blessed to live in a time where there are so many great barrel options and smiths who can chamber up a barrel - 25 years ago there were fewer options.

I had the great folks at MileHigh turn me a couple of barrels for my AI/AT - .308 16", .260 and .243 Each of these barrels shoots 1/4 MOA or better on (my) good days and 1/2 MOA every other day - the most accurate gun that I own. I was surprised that they didn't need the gun with specs encoded in their CNC lathes they can turn out a great barrel for your AT in short order.

What I like most about MHSA is that they really know their stuff, they are up front and honest and have the fastest turn around I have experienced. Everything they have done for me has been literally perfect in fit and finish as well as performance.

The price is very competitive. Too bad they don't make any AIAT barrel in 260 (at least it's not showing on their web pages also).
    I would call them. I can post pic after pic of sub .5 moa groups, but that doesn’t matter, pics are easy to fake. I can just say that for me, they are great folks, and can flat out make a barrel shoot. I can’t say enough about how nice Mark was to deal with.
    Example: he wanted to include a thread protector, but didn’t have one in stock. Mark had one spun up, THEN, because he missed UPS that day, he shipped my barrel 3 day select, at no charge to me. So he went out of his way, and lost money on shipping, just so I’d have a thread protector on my gun. THAT’S customer service. I have to add, I don’t know him, and this was my first purchase from Accurate Ordnance.
    That gets repeat business from me.

I've got a Tooley cut Bartlein AINA .308 barrel.
    While I've never shot better than .4" 5 shot groups at 100 with it or any other rifle, I'm amazed at how easily it hammers .5 MOA groups out to 700 yards (the limit at my club).
    Lotsa good choices these days.

I have 9 Dave Tooley Bartlein barrels for 4 different AI rifle's and have not been disappointed. They all shoot at least 1/2 moa and when I do my part 3/8 moa.

I got my barrel from Robert and just put the first 20 rounds through it. And all I can say is I am very happy. The Workmanship on the barrel is top notch. Two groups were under a 1/2" .441 and .398 and one was .313. And the barrel is not broke in yet. Oh that was with factory Desert Tech 175gr ammo. I am thinking, know, this barrel will go under 1/4" with hand loads. All of the groups were shot from what I call the fat belly prone and not from a bench. Bipod and rear bag.