• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT Build, first long-range rifle

atek3

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
I got my start shooting 14 years ago with a CMP M1 Garand. After I started outshooting the M1, I paid a small fortune (for a 20 year old college student) for a Mac Tilton to build me a Tikka Master Sporter with front and rear aperture sights. I shot that for several years until I switched to USPSA. Anyway, flash forward to 2011 and I went out to Elkton, OR for the Thunderbeast practical field rifle course. I borrowed Zak Smith's AI AW with the TBAC can and fell in love.

This year I finally have the opportunity to shoot my first long-range precision match, the Steel Safari this June and want to build a suitable rifle.

My tentative build is:
AI AT folder with 6.5 Creedmore bbl
Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 Scope

Undecided on Bipod.

I went with AI because I liked shooting Zak's rifle.
I went with AT because I don't need the fancy foreend of the AXMC
I'm somewhat torn on 6.5 Creedmore vs. 260. Both are good, but I live in a jurisdiction that forbids handloading, so I think the cheaper price of factory match 6.5CM carries the day.
The Hensoldt is a bit ostentatious but a) It's a great scope b) I think it will depreciate fairly slowly.

Also, who makes a 36mm scope mount for the AI?

Seems like there aren't many companies selling the equipment I want. Does anyone know any ways to get the AI AT/ New Hensoldt for less than their sticker prices?

What other accessories should I invest in? I already have a good LRF.

thanks,
atek3

PS I should mention that down the line, when I leave this jurisdiction my plan is to put a TBAC can on it. Probably the 30BA.

Last edited:
Call mile high, just bought my son a ai ae mark 3 from them and they are great to deal with. You will get a 5 percent snipers hide discount as well. I would get tab gear sling, atlas bipod, cleaning kit and nice case. They can fix you up. When your getting can for it check out colonial armory. I'm fixing to get a can from him from them, Steve , also Rangerwalker on here. He is a great guy and vendor on here. Hope that helps.

Euro optic and Mile High both offer a 5% discount to hide members, a little more for mil/LE.

No idea on where to get a deal on a Hensoldt, never bought one because not having a zero stop on a scope in their price range is just ridiculous. A scope with that erector is also going to be rough as far as reticle size, too skinny down low and too fat up top. If you want premium I'd look at the S&B 5-25 DT without locking turrets or MTC.

Spuhr makes a mount for the Hensoldt. I picked up my 3.5-26 from Jason at Euro Optics, Great guys to deal with and they're the only ones who have that glass in stock, the price is way up there but you will not regret it!!!

Laying next to a SB 3-27......... They should make a baby lol
EB7V0762.jpg

I got my start shooting 14 years ago with a CMP M1 Garand. After I started outshooting the M1, I paid a small fortune (for a 20 year old college student) for a Mac Tilton to build me a Tikka Master Sporter with front and rear aperture sights. I shot that for several years until I switched to USPSA. Anyway, flash forward to 2011 and I went out to Elkton, OR for the Thunderbeast practical field rifle course. I borrowed Zak Smith's AI AW with the TBAC can and fell in love.

This year I finally have the opportunity to shoot my first long-range precision match, the Steel Safari this June and want to build a suitable rifle.

My tentative build is:
AI AT folder with 6.5 Creedmore bbl
Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 Scope

Undecided on Bipod.

I went with AI because I liked shooting Zak's rifle.
I went with AT because I don't need the fancy foreend of the AXMC
I'm somewhat torn on 6.5 Creedmore vs. 260. Both are good, but I live in a jurisdiction that forbids handloading, so I think the cheaper price of factory match 6.5CM carries the day.
The Hensoldt is a bit ostentatious but a) It's a great scope b) I think it will depreciate fairly slowly.

Also, who makes a 36mm scope mount for the AI?

Seems like there aren't many companies selling the equipment I want. Does anyone know any ways to get the AI AT/ New Hensoldt for less than their sticker prices?

What other accessories should I invest in? I already have a good LRF.

thanks,
atek3

PS I should mention that down the line, when I leave this jurisdiction my plan is to put a TBAC can on it. Probably the 30BA.

totally off topic here but I'm curious as to where you live that forbids handloading? I've never heard of that before. I live in Los Angeles county, CA and I dont have anything like that around me.

Big Apple fire code bans possession of primers, smokeless propellant, or more than 200 rounds of ammo in one household.

You don't need to remind me how much it sucks. I won't be here forever.

Can anyone explain in a sentence or two why the Atlas is superior to the stock bipod?

Spuhr makes a 36MM mount? Great.

Differences between the AI/Parker Hale style bipod and Atlas:

AI Bipod:

- Much faster to deploy.
- Probably more rugged as it has less moving parts, buttons, springs, etc. to go wrong.
- Much heavier than the Atlas (at least 10ozs.)
- The spring legs annoyingly shoot out during rifle recoil or rough handling.
- The pan/tilt is described as "floppy" by some, but I actually like it as it does not bind the rifle up on the ground when in the field on uneven ground. When you properly load the rifle it is rigid.

Atlas bipod:

- Legs lock in different positions if that is something you use.
- You can adjust tension for swivel.
- The small buttons to deploy the legs are slower to use quickly.
- Build quality is excellent, but lots of small pieces to collect dirt, etc. which could eventually lead to a problem.
- Much lighter than the AI bipod.
- Atlas spigot mount can be tightened to control floppiness to your liking

I prefer the AI bipod for the very fast deployment and simplicity. I like the Atlas due to the significantly lower weight. If the AI bipod were the same weight as the Atlas and they corrected the spring loaded feet deploying at the slightest touch issue, I'd run it in preference to the Atlas myself.

You can also run a Harris on the front stud if you don't want to use the AI spigot. The Harris is lighter than both other options, but I prefer the more solid AI spigot mount to the sling stud mount which can work loose on the Harris. But this is pretty minor. The main reason I don't use the Harris is it uses up about 1/4th of the forearm space where I sometimes place my hand and I don't find it comfortable. I also like having a lot of the flat bottom available for shooting off barricades, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting, so it is a subjective choice. I used the AI bipod on Zak's and it worked well...

Spuhr makes a mount for the Hensoldt. I picked up my 3.5-26 from Jason at Euro Optics, Great guys to deal with and they're the only ones who have that glass in stock, the price is way up there but you will not regret it!!!

Laying next to a SB 3-27......... They should make a baby lol
View attachment 30739

That right there is the equivalent of a small car.

Interesting, so it is a subjective choice. I used the AI bipod on Zak's and it worked well...

Many of these things are going to be subjective.

I like the AI bipod over the Atlas because it is simpler and faster to use. In a recent competition I just found the Atlas took longer to deploy because you are messing with the buttons on the legs and have to do it separately. You have to hold the button and flip the leg down to the 90 degree position and bypass the 45 degree detent. And, you have to do that twice (once on each leg).

It's a small thing, but when you have 60 seconds on a stage and aren't allowed to pre-deploy your gear a few seconds starts to matter. Then if you transition from a prone position to shooting through a port you have to deploy the legs by pushing the button, then you have to stow the legs by pushing the buttons again and flipping them back up. Again each time you need to do it to each leg and it just takes up time.

So for me, I'd rather just reach up to the front of the AI bipod and slap it down with gross motor skills and have the legs snap into position than have to reach up and individually move each leg into position like on the Atlas. When I'm done you just slap the AI bipod back up again and the legs go away. It's much faster.

The biggest hassle with the AI bipod is it is heavy which throws the weight of the gun farther forward, plus the annoying legs that shoot out during recoil or slightest jostling. Apparently this doesn't happen to everyone, but I have tried several AI bipods and they have all done it for me. AI had a newer version of their bipod for sale, but Tom Irwin stated in another thread that they were going to discontinue it. So maybe they have something new coming? I don't know.