• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT fixed to AX folder. Conversion Instructions and pictures

mattwaage1

Slacker
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Rock Springs, WY
IMG_20181217_142637.jpg

So I was bored and sitting at home looking at my fixed chassis AT and then the AX stock conversions online and decided to pull some things apart and document it

TLDR: It bolts right on.

So I ordered an AX stock up. I knew these stocks were marketed as "for folding AT only" originally (I read or imagined that from somewhere) and I figured I'd have it milled and make it work somehow.

Turns out all these stocks are the same. Which makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

The "conversion" I ordered is just an AX replacement stock. It's identical to the sage green AX stock on my AXMC. And it pretty much bolts right onto a fixed chassis AT, no modifications needed. This means that it may fit on other models if the attachment is the same. Take your skins off and have a look, this post 14 ax stock may fit older AICS, pre-14 AX, AE, etc, I don't know I don't have them to look at, but you can see the attachment point in the pics. If it looks similar it's probably the same.
IMG_20181209_154852.jpg

IMG_20181211_163556.jpg

All being done I am pretty happy with it. As far as value??? Well, I don't regret spending the money on it. It's had to place value on a folding stock. I've never had to fold my stock during a match or stage or anything, which is why I was perfectly content keeping a fixed stock AT after I traded my folder off. But as far as value or cost? $830 bucks ain't cheap, that's a new barrel or a new tikka ctr. But in the same category, KRG gets about the same for their folding stock for a W3 or TRG, and cadex gets around $750 for their folding stock. So, of course I would like it cheaper but I don't think $830 is out of line for the marketplace.
I think if I buy more AIs I'd definitely buy an AT, and then have a choice of +$450 for a left side folder or +$830 for a right side folder I install...
I'd definitely be bemuying fixed ATs and putting the AX stock on for only $380 more than a left side folder.

Issues: the AX stock cheek weld is higher than the AT by roughly 1/2". (See picture)
Length of pull is also about 1/2" shorter at minimum which I like.
Running the Henny 4-16x56 in a spuhr sp-4601 and the AT low rail the cheek weld (luckily) is perfect for me at the lowest setting. That's how I run it, it works for me, but I would say there is a 60+% chance that you will need either a higher mount of the AT high rail. So keep that in mind. (Rough guess from other friends rifles I've used and if their check weld is high or low compared to mine)

Mile high and eurooptic both have these in stock. Mile high said they have sage green skins to match also. As you can see in the pics the original AI green and the sage green definitely do not match, but I don't think they look too bad. Still matches better than an FN scar and their 50 shades of FDE. You will reuse all your original skins (except the buttstock of course)

I'll try to insert pics as I go ( but I am dumb) so here's the play by play.

Tools needed: 3mm Allen, 2.5mm Allen, dead blow hammer, some sort of heating device.

1: remove AT grip and buttstock skins.
IMG_20181209_154121.jpg

2: remove cheek rest so you don't bend it like the idiot taking the pics.
IMG_20181209_154934.jpg

3: remove two 3mm Allen head screws on the top and bottom of stock extension closest to the action.
IMG_20181209_154128.jpg

4: heat the area the screws were removed from with your hearing device. I used my little soldering torch. It did not discolor anything and worked great. Will it discolor your rifle? Probably. I don't know. Try a heat gun or hair dryer. Oxy fuel is overkill.
IMG_20181209_154411.jpg

5: after it's warm just give the buttstock a what off.
IMG_20181209_154836.jpg

IMG_20181209_154852.jpg

6: remove the Devon stuck on the stock extension. Don't use a direct flame for this, I used a little soldering adapter thing. Takes a good amount of heat to loosen it up.
IMG_20181217_135738.jpg

Continued below, can only attach 10 pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_154130.jpg
    IMG_20181209_154130.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
7: the new stock kit comes with instructions (who reads those...) Devon 2 part epoxy, 2 new 3mm Allen head screws for the stock extension, and the AX stock of course.
IMG_20181217_135040.jpg

8: mix and apply the Devon. It doesn't take much but I used it liberally and cleaned up the extra that squished out with 3 q-tips. Wipes off nice and clean.
IMG_20181217_140800.jpg

9: tap on the new stock with your dead blow hammer. Clean up with q- tips.

10: install and tighten the new 3mm Allen screws. My old ones were fine and the exact same thing but I installed the new ones. I tightened liberally.
IMG_20181217_140939.jpg

11: the folding stock lock/ qd sling cup was installed very tight in mine. I tried to remove it prior but left it in for installation. It was too tight to bother with from the factory and installation went just fine with it in.

12: reinstall all your original skins and enjoy! You are finished!

Total time: 3-12 beers (more if you drink like I do

Pictures of ax stock vs at stock measurements from the post above:

IMG_20181217_141455.jpg

IMG_20181217_141601.jpg

IMG_20181217_142606.jpg

IMG_20181217_142637.jpg

IMG_20181217_142619.jpg

(y)(y)Looks awesome and thanks for the the step-by-step. Glad to see it's something that can be done at home instead of having to send out to MH. . Now I regret buying a folder AT. It would be easier to justify spending the $830:) on this.

Very nice, thanks for the write-up!

I have a solution for the too-tall AX cheekpiece that I have been waiting on for probably a year to see if anyone got around to doing this swap. I don’t know exactly when I’ll get them made but if people are popping up on SH that want them I’ll pursue it sooner than later.

That's really cool and all, but what's the point of buying all that extra adjustability if you're not going to use it?

That's really cool and all, but what's the point of buying all that extra adjustability if you're not going to use it?

All the way in is still an adjustment position ??
The LOP and pad cant will get used but I doubt the cheekweld will go up anymore unless my face gets squished.

On another note, anyone with some legacy items (AICS, AE, Pre14 AX, AX 338, AW, Etc) if you pull your skins take some pics, curious what parts will swap with what.

Excellent write up! My stock showed up today. I hope to do the conversion soon. Looks like there’s a good chance I will be shopping for a higher scope mount.

My scope setup worked out perfect. I’m running the AI mount. I believe it was advertised as 40mm high. When I measure from the top of the rail to center of the ring it is actually around 36mm. With the cheek rest bottomed the height is perfect for me.

Attachments

• 519CEEB6-3941-4A74-8F7E-A62587D11A7A.jpeg
    519CEEB6-3941-4A74-8F7E-A62587D11A7A.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 510
Reactions: mattwaage1
So how are you getting on with the new setup?

I'm in the middle of moving now and haven't used it yet besides dry fire playing around looking out the windows.

I do like it quite a bit more just handling it and looking at it.

Could just buy the higher scope base made for the NV setup.

Yeah I think the high/standard rail that was originally offered with these might be perfect for the cheek rest height.

Anyone have an AE or pre14-AX or older AICS they can take their skins off of and post some pics? Curious what these new AX stocks will fit on?

AE MKiii doesn't look exactly the same, looks like instead of two screws attaching the stock extension a bolt holds it. Might be able to knock the pin out and do the conversion.

IMG_20190212_222548288.jpg

IMG_20190212_222603691~2.jpg

Might have been covered already.

Can I do this personally on an AICS non folder?

I’d like to see how it feels before doing to work to my actual AT folder.

I might try it on my AE. If it doesn't work I can always put the original stock back on and put the AX stock on my AT folder.

Might have been covered already.

Can I do this personally on an AICS non folder?

I’d like to see how it feels before doing to work to my actual AT folder.

I would pop the skins off your AICS and AT to compare them side by side.

My wild ass guess would be the that it would work.

I’ve seen this conversion done on both folding and non folding AT’s as well as non quick lock AX’s.

ETA: if it does work I will need to save my pennies for an AICS, AX conversion stock, and a vudoo barreled action to put in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Hmmmm interesting.....I’m just thinking out loud but I think if you took the short tube off the AX conversion stock that it would bolt right up to the AE.

You you have to break the bond on the AE where the bolts are. Not where the pin is.

Yeah looking at it, if you undo the bolts closest to the folder and do the same on the new ax stock it looks like it should work. The bolt closest to the action is definitely different than an AT/AX but the square extension part looks the same. Just gotta loosen up the epoxy and swap it in a bit different order.

Only problem with that is, on the ax stock the "locking" part is on that small extension. It would stay closed fine without it due to tension of the hinge IMHO.

Otherwise you could punch that pin out and just team the ax stock holes to match that pin size?

Nope. The Pre 14s are pinned whereas the AT's are screwed. Had to go to Mile High. But it was worth it.

You'd have to call and ask. Mine took a bit with SHOT and holidays, plus I had already removed most of the parts and sand blasted the extension.

I really like the "classic" green... but since I'm planning on getting the AX buttstock, you may have just convinced me to go brown instead. Just to verify, that's a FDE buttstock and AT, right? Not pale brown?

Man my face is too fat to work on that high rise pad...gave in

I really like the "classic" green... but since I'm planning on getting the AX buttstock, you may have just convinced me to go brown instead. Just to verify, that's a FDE buttstock and AT, right? Not pale brown?

If you like the green, mile high said they have the "sage green" at skins to match.

Eh I just ordered a 1.5" mount, which works on my axs too. Keeps it easy all my mounts will be 1.5" now.
I don’t like scope riding too high to begin with, plus I am unsure if 1.5 will even cut it for me, my only grief on AI rifles, but I believe they had good reasons to design it as such

I don’t like scope riding too high to begin with, plus I am unsure if 1.5 will even cut it for me, my only grief on AI rifles, but I believe they had good reasons to design it as such

I agree I felt the same way. I like my 1.13" barrel hugging mounts but, eh, it's the way the world is headed.

My AT has the short rail. I think the 4006 would be perfect for me.

I have the AI mount listed as 40mm. I’m not sure where they measure that from. Using a tape measure it appears to be about 1.25 from the top of rail to the centerline of scope. I don’t have room for any padding on the cheek rest.

I think a 4006 would allow room for a hoptic pad and would be perfect.

I believe the tall AT rail is the same as the AX.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
Very interesting, I never would have thought those are interchangeable. Is it possible to convert a AICS legacy chassis from fixed to a folder?