• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk AI AT for PRS?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Pros? Cons? How much of a disadvantage would it be to go with an AI AT instead of a custom rifle for PRS style competitions?

If it's a rifle you can get comfortable behind (the AI style chassis systems seem to be a 'love it or hate it' thing), then none at all. 10rd mags, barrels pretty readily available in multiple calibers, tons of accessories, and AI finally started offering a lighter trigger for their rifles (I assume it fits the AT).

I competed with mine before I got an AXMC and loved it. It’s totally doable. Don’t forget the whole things is pretty much bombproof. If you manage to hurt something it comes apart easy enough for a quick field fix.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Pros: system is set up to run AW mags from factory pretty much flawlessly. Factory trigger breaks amazing. Flat out runs.

Cons: only factory or comp triggers available. Only the factory chassis unless you debond it and put it in an mpa. Limited accessories for the key slot. Fairly tall and small ports may be a challenge.

Basically you’re trading the total customization of a custom build for the extreme reliability of the AI.

I don’t know how the comp trigger is a negative... as far as it being too tall in small ports I’ve never had it not fit. It’s been close in some times, but it’s always fit.

I think DThomas meant it was a negative compared to, say, 700 style actions where you have dozens of options for triggers - not two.

Fair point. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Honest question, is there something a 700 trigger does that the comp or factory trigger don’t do?

Fair point. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Honest question, is there something a 700 trigger does that the comp or factory trigger don’t do?

I don't remember how light the comp trigger goes, so weight may be an issue, but with 700s you have all kinds of different shapes, pull weights, safety vs no safety, etc. to pick from. Hell, even colors. Personally, I like flat triggers, and if I remember right the AI comp trigger is curved.

I don’t remember the exact weight, but I know the comp goes pretty low. And in theory there is a flat shoe coming

I meant that you only have two choices for triggers. That may be a con for many people.

I personally love the factory trigger and didn’t care much for the comp trigger. Though that’s not what I was pointing out.

As far as what doesn’t it do that other triggers do, that doesn’t really matter. Some people prefer the way different triggers feel. Just like many optics do the same thing, but personal preferences vary.

The overall point is, you give up most of the customizations that custom actions provide.

Thanks for the input, guys! I am willing to sacrifice customizability for reliability/durability, so the AI is an easy choice for me from that perspective. And from you guys’ comments it sounds like I will be on a level playing field with the guys running customs, and that’s all I want.

The only negative I hear about running the AIAT or AX for PRS is the slightly heavier bolt throw.

I guess you could say the chassis but most know whether they like it or will be swapping into the MPA before they make the purchase.

Reactions: Laughing_Jackal
Buy an AT, throw it in an MPA, done. I plan to do so in the near future myself. I'm use to running 3 lugs anyway so the Ai bolt lift doesnt bother me. I've thought about selling my customs and doing it but I'm not really in the selling business. I'd rather just add to instead of consolidation because you can easily negate needs for other short action rifles by buying an AI.

The only word of caution I’d give with the AI in the mpa is, remembering the beauty(and cash value) of the AI is that it’s a system as a whole.

Once you debond it and put it in another chassis, you have compromised part of that system. Now, it’s basically just another action and you may need to tweak some things for proper fit, feeding, etc.

If you absolutely love the AI bolt and the AI factory trigger, but can’t stand the chassis, then it may be worth it to you.

But, I would say that you can do fine and not be as financially invested with a custom action at that point.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Dthomas is correct but if you have 0 interest in selling it (me) then it's a non issue. you can buy a custom super reliable action and be happy but the feeding, cycling, and firing reliability in any situation is a trait that not action does better than AI. if that's what you're after than look no further.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Dthomas is correct but if you have 0 interest in selling it (me) then it's a non issue. you can buy a custom super reliable action and be happy but the feeding, cycling, and firing reliability in any situation is a trait that not action does better than AI. if that's what you're after than look no further.

Also true. I’m tempted to pick up a second AT to experiment and see what other chassis we can get it fit into.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
The only negative I hear about running the AIAT or AX for PRS is the slightly heavier bolt throw.

I guess you could say the chassis but most know whether they like it or will be swapping into the MPA before they make the purchase.

Some guys really hate the bolt throw. It’s definitely heavier than most any out there.

I have no real issue with it. I find if you keep your hand/palm close to the rifle, you just apply a little pressure and it pops up. Then, since it’s a swept bolt handle, you just rotate your hand and basically close your fist which pushes the bolt to the rear pretty easily.

My bolt throw is consistently measuring at 10-11lbs. That’s after probably 2500 dry fires and bolt cycles. It has definitely lightened up or my hand is getting used to the force required.

I’ve run an AT308 for some time now & it’s NEVER let me down.

I’ve seem some really expensive custom rifles jam because of dusty environments etc...the AT just keeps on going.
There I stand quietly smiling to myself with my “stock standard off the shelf” rifle as some of these other sexier rifles play havoc with their frustrated owners.

Oh - and it does it all sub MOA...
It’s put me at the top of the leaderboard on more than one occasion.

I’d be very surprised if you were disappointed with it - there’s a good reason it’s one of the best rifles in the world right out of the box!

I’ve run an AT308 for some time now & it’s NEVER let me down.

I’ve seem some really expensive custom rifles jam because of dusty environments etc...the AT just keeps on going.
There I stand quietly smiling to myself with my “stock standard off the shelf” rifle as some of these other sexier rifles play havoc with their frustrated owners.

Oh - and it does it all sub MOA...
It’s put me at the top of the leaderboard on more than one occasion.

I’d be very surprised if you were disappointed with it - there’s a good reason it’s one of the best rifles in the world right out of the box!

I’m still trying to get it allowed into production class....

Love my AIAT and have had success running it in comps. I've ran 308, 6.5x47l, 6xc, and 6 Creed... Not one hiccup.

Disadvantages I see are getting 6br family of cartridges to run reliably (that could be said of other actions too) and no option to run 223R set up as a trainer.

Weight could be pro and con. Can be tough to maneuver on some stages. On other stages the extra weight allows you to watch your trace.

Love my AIAT and have had success running it in comps. I've ran 308, 6.5x47l, 6xc, and 6 Creed... Not one hiccup.

Disadvantages I see are getting 6br family of cartridges to run reliably (that could be said of other actions too) and no option to run 223R set up as a trainer.

Weight could be pro and con. Can be tough to maneuver on some stages. On other stages the extra weight allows you to watch your trace.

Do you have the HRD gear mag kit for your aw mags? I know a few people running dasher and BRA in their AX's.

Do you have the HRD gear mag kit for your aw mags? I know a few people running dasher and BRA in their AX's.

No, I don't. Considered trying it, but saw to many posts on issues with feeding and ejecting.

I run the Dasher in a nucleus and mausingfield. Nucleus has been fine, but mausingfield had issues due to small ejection port. Case would bounce and spin back into the action. It can be a tough cartridge to run.

I run a BR in 1 of my nucleus actions (JHR). runs great too.

Not to de-rail this thread, but it may help the OP if he decides the AI Chassis is not for him.

Has anyone on here had any real experience with an AI AT in a MPA chassis?

Any issues or comments?

Not to de-rail this thread, but it may help the OP if he decides the AI Chassis is not for him.

Has anyone on here had any real experience with an AI AT in a MPA chassis?

Any issues or comments?

I personally know 1 person that has done it and he loves it.

Reactions: Kwe1982
I don't remember how light the comp trigger goes, so weight may be an issue, but with 700s you have all kinds of different shapes, pull weights, safety vs no safety, etc. to pick from. Hell, even colors. Personally, I like flat triggers, and if I remember right the AI comp trigger is curved.

There is supposed to be a flat shoe for the AI comp trigger.

Thanks for the input, guys! I am willing to sacrifice customizability for reliability/durability, so the AI is an easy choice for me from that perspective. And from you guys’ comments it sounds like I will be on a level playing field with the guys running customs, and that’s all I want.

I sold a fully custom Patriot Valley Arms TL3 with shouldered BarLoc barrels in .223 and 6.5CM for the AIAT and do not regret it one bit.

What’s funny if you go back a few years, you’ll remember much of the criticism was the heavy weight.

Today, It’s an average to a lightweight entry :)

Yep. Mine is 17-19lbs. I think it’s perfect, but many would consider it at or below average.

Thanks for all the input. Only thing holding me back right now is my ability to afford it, so I will keep my eyes open for good deals on demo models for now.

Also, do most people use the low rail or the high rail?