• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT out to one mile…can I? Or not worth trying…

LONG RNG

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
Ohio
I have an Accuracy International AT…what would I need to do barrel/caliber to allow me to reach out to a Mile? And no I cannot just buy an AX.

I have an Accuracy International AT…what would I need to do barrel/caliber to allow me to reach out to a Mile? And no I cannot just buy an AX.
There are people making short magnum conversions now.

As far as just a barrel swap
Even something spicy like a 6cm 109 berger at 3150 is still subsonic way before 1780

06B22A8C-7A7A-416F-9F34-C92A62BC3DE1.png

What about a custom .260 barrel? Load the rounds long to take advantage of the AW mag length and stuff more powder in there. I think Frank shot his AX .260 out to a mile in a video years ago.

Reactions: LONG RNG
Thanks for the feedback…I’ll just stick with the 1K practice. Just thought it would be fun to pursue a mile…

It's possible with medium success, Find the fastest shooting 7mm you can on a standard bolt face and just single feed them, you be able to hit.

For slightly more than another tube you could go buy a Bergara in 300 PRC and get to work.

Reactions: LONG RNG
1 mile would be achievable with a 260. I’ve shot mine out to 1,792 yards. It’s not the best obviously but you’ll get hits. Which can easily be done with an AT.

It's possible with medium success, Find the fastest shooting 7mm you can on a standard bolt face and just single feed them, you be able to hit.

For slightly more than another tube you could go buy a Bergara in 300 PRC and get to work.
.284Win/Shehane, single feed em. 1 mile, easy. Cheaper components than a big 30, same bolt you already have. Happy happy.

Hell, I get out there with a lowly .223 shooting 75 grain ELD-Ms. Hit ratio averages around 1 in 5 rounds in calm winds but let the wind start gusting over 8 mph and all bets are off; hit ratio gets embarrassing.

Of the smaller calibers, any of the 6.5s, 7mms and larger work better than .223s and 6mms providing the area around the target is clear and the soil allows the shooter to spot splash. Hit ratios will not be what some of the big magnums will be but you’ll have fun and learn a lot about wind and ballistics.

I have taken classes with Hodnett shooting 14-inch plates at 1 mile with 308s

I have shot my AI-AT out to 1800 + yards with a 6.5cm. You can also use a 260 rem if you want. Both have good factory loads available.

you never know till you try so get out there and try take it in stride if you go and miss at least you can say you tried and pick up a little experience Ai's are magical if masage it just right and special things can happen send video of your shooting everything else I really don't need to see best of luck .

The 147 ELDM isn't consistent after transonic, just in case you get frustrated with inconsistent shots after 1200 yards or whatever...
Bryan Litz wrote about this.
Will be a fun project though.
Scott

Reactions: vh20
Reach out to a mile? Of coarse you can. In 1879 at Sandy Hook military trials with a Springfield Armory shooter, who shot the 45-70 at a 6' bullseye at 2500 yds and hit the bullseye with 3 different Springfield rifles, at 2500 yds...then at 3200 yds. With a 45-70 500 gr bullets, open sights, no rear rest, and a 7 lb trigger pull on the rifles. The US Army then declared the Springfield 45-70 rifle effective to 1900 yds. And some field skirmishes happened out past a mile with those old rifles. Remember the ladder sights graduated out to 2000 yds, or meters depending on the country of origin on old military rifles. We all laughed, thinking it was rather optimistic . Shooters now have much better equipment today, and good manufacturers support for a mile shot, so of coarse you can, if you have the desire to do so.

The 147 ELDM isn't consistent after transonic, just in case you get frustrated with inconsistent shots after 1200 yards or whatever...
Bryan Litz wrote about this.
Will be a fun project though.
Scott
I experienced this before this was common knowledge. They were awesome out to 1000, and absolute crap at 1330. I couldn't figure out why. Then Litz comes along and finds that the BC variation from bullet to bullet is over double what is considered acceptable for a good LR match bullet. He also found that the 140 ELD was fine.

300 Norma is best, followed by 300 prc, 338 Lapua. 33xc is best. However not sure if your rilfe can take these calibers. If not, then 6.5C is your best option. Get a long barrel, heavy bullet, load on hotter side to get best possible MV without risking too much and that should get you to a mile under good conditions.

We have a shooter who posts as Apollo on the various message boards who shoots his 308 at 2054 yards.
You need a scope with enough elevation to get to 1 mile so put it in the mount base or rings and give it a try.
You won't be winning matches but hitting a gong at 1760 yards is doable

Reactions: harry_x1
We have a shooter who posts as Apollo on the various message boards who shoots his 308 at 2054 yards.
You need a scope with enough elevation to get to 1 mile so put it in the mount base or rings and give it a try.
You won't be winning matches but hitting a gong at 1760 yards is doable
will that be in good conditions or 308 can be consistent even in adverse conditions...like winds, gusts exceeding 20 mph etc etc..have never shot 308, hence asking those who might have used it. I have shot 6.5C. Personally I was able to shoot consistently uptill 1100 (anything after that was a bit of a toss, atleast in my gun with my super naive skills).

will that be in good conditions or 308 can be consistent even in adverse conditions...like winds, gusts exceeding 20 mph etc etc..have never shot 308, hence asking those who might have used it. I have shot 6.5C. Personally I was able to shoot consistently uptill 1100 (anything after that was a bit of a toss, atleast in my gun with my super naive skills).
Our shooter Apollo shoots mostly for fun and he did it because it's the gun he had at the time.
I took from the original poster that he just wants to bang a plate as far out as he can without worrying about winning any matches or getting a high score.
A 20 mph wind isn't a issue if it stays 20 mph and the same direction for the entire match. It becomes a issue when it let's up to 5 mph and varies its direction every other shot.
Some states are pancake flat and the wind blows without much directional variation or wind speed variation. Other states the wind changes every couple minutes in both direction and speed.

Last edited:
36” x 36” target , yea
20” x 20” target , naw
Depending on the wind and mirage

Last edited: