• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT - Thinking of making a change

RadioActivity

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2020
I have an AI AT Folder in 6.5CM and it's disgustingly accurate with the competition trigger in it. It is also heavy, blocky, but has a charm that comes with owning an AI. After years and years of owning the rifle perhaps I'm a little bored paired with practical changes I think I want to make.

I am considering swapping out the club foot stock for an AX conversion. I have always been torn between going with a thumbhole folder skin to have a more classic look, or essentially making it into an AT-LE and gain the adjustability of the AX stock. I have never gotten behind an AX itself but the stock seems to be more ergonomic. There are trade offs like having to move my scope higher to better match the cheek weld at the lowest setting - I haven't really full explored or considered what practical issues that might manifest moving the optic away from the bore but I figured it would be as it would with an AX?

I find the factory club foot setup to be clunky and I can't change LOP for tripod or positional shooting vs prone, I don't really see the full AX change as beneficial, I don't know if an AX would really ride a bag any better or easier than an AT fore end. I also kind of like the look of the AT-LE.

Thoughts and opinions? The cost of the AX upgrade and adding a RRS rail for the tripod inches me ever closer to another model -I don't mind the mods and mix of old and new but is there a practical benefit to the AX over the modded AT?

Also: It's too bad the AT-X isn't mlok as I think the keyslot looks rather meh. Practicality aside - aesthetics do matter.

Last edited:
I would go with an AO chassis with the AX rear. It will be a big upgrade over the AT. Still be just as boring accurate as it is now. You would see the benefits as you mention of the AX rear, no keyslot, and get the best chassis available for that rifle.

Somehow it just wanders too far from what I think is the AI aesthetic - a bit of the same for the AT-X.

Why are you changing your lop for different positions? That shouldn't be needed.

If the adjustment in the club foot is there then just get the thumbhole skins. I think they make a competition butt pad that gives you verticle adjustment also. You'll get the same adjustability without having to raise your scope or drop even close to $800+.

I've had an AX and own an AT now. The rear feels the same when set up to your body.

Hmmm. I like the LOP full out for prone shooting but this feels too long on barricades, bags, and benches. If it were easier to adjust I could perhaps indeed find a happy medium. I have the competition butt plate now. Does the AX stock mess with the balance of the rifle?

I would go with an AO chassis with the AX rear. It will be a big upgrade over the AT. Still be just as boring accurate as it is now. You would see the benefits as you mention of the AX rear, no keyslot, and get the best chassis available for that rifle.
This. All the accuracy with the usability of a modern chassis that you can adjust on the fly and shoot well in different positions. I think the AO looks great too.

Reactions: Stache
trading a hot horny blond (one ai) for an even sexier hot horny blond (another ai) you go sir .. my hero ..

Reactions: Stache