• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT308 bolt face pitting

You assess the pitting to see how deep it actually is before conducting any rectification work

If the pitting is so bad it may affect the relationship pf the extractor to the bolt nose then why on earth would you continue ?

The Ejector plunger is always proud of the bolt face Scott (unless the weapon is loaded with a cartridge in the chamber and bolt closed) - it wouldn’t work otherwise

Firing pin depth is easily altered on most of not all Accuracy International actions (you should know this I hope ?)

Chamber headspace - again easily altered by machining the tenon shoulder and rear face

But (and I stress this point) as it’s clear that everything needs to be spelled out in simple terms

If the pitting is so bad - that the rectification work would unduly affect the extractor then you wouldn’t even start the work

Purchasing a new bolt is the answer

(A new bolt head would be the most cost effective part to replace if it were available in your country )
Just stop.

Jesus Christ... how has this not just ended at “I got fucked so I decided to take it as a lesson and buy a new bolt assembly.” Even if it’s 1,000 MBD (Make Believe Dollars), just spend it and drive on with a lessons learned ribbon. 😂

Got the quote today for the Part from UK AI, $750 Canadian pesos. I dunno if I'm going to bug the guy about it or just get it and live with it.

Got the quote today for the Part from UK AI, $750 Canadian pesos. I dunno if I'm going to bug the guy about it or just get it and live with it.
I’ll give my honest opinion on how I would handle this,

That’s not an unreasonable price for the new bolt. You get SFP so that’s a bonus if your current one is LFP (even tho the old one can be bushed)

I’m personally a forgiving type of guy. Unless I think the guy straight up passed the rifle off knowing there was this much damage on the bolt Face I’d just let it go. As there is a good chance he never even noticed the damage

Take it as a lesson learned and something to ask for pics of or personally check out when making the purchase

Now if the guy knew about it and didn’t tell you that’s a different story. Otherwise just put it on let go and order the new bolt so you can get on with enjoying the rifle

Just my opinion

He works in a 'Big' gun store. I'm sure he knows how to examine a rifle, even those that come into the store to be purchased. Let alone his own firearms. He pulled the wool over OP eyes.

That’s not an unreasonable price for the new bolt. You get SFP so that’s a bonus if your current one is LFP (even tho the old one can be bushed)

I’m personally a forgiving type of guy. Unless I think the guy straight up passed the rifle off knowing there was this much damage on the bolt Face I’d just let it go. As there is a good chance he never even noticed the damage

Take it as a lesson learned and something to ask for pics of or personally check out when making the purchase

Now if the guy knew about it and didn’t tell you that’s a different story. Otherwise just put it on let go and order the new bolt so you can get on with enjoying the rifle

Just my opinion

Reactions: spife7980

Just my opinion
This is my exact reasoning as well. I honestly think he never even thought to check. I believe him that he was just shooting GMM, the original owner was shooting 260 rem out of this and I think thats where the damage happened. I bet like myself, the 2nd owner never even thought to check the bolt face, something I will never do again. In part its his fault for not even noticing, but its also my fault for not asking, used guns are sold as is, now if this was vindictive or intentional thats another story, but truthfully I don't think it was.

This is my exact reasoning as well. I honestly think he never even thought to check. I believe him that he was just shooting GMM, the original owner was shooting 260 rem out of this and I think thats where the damage happened. I bet like myself, the 2nd owner never even thought to check the bolt face, something I will never do again. In part its his fault for not even noticing, but its also my fault for not asking, used guns are sold as is, now if this was vindictive or intentional thats another story, but truthfully I don't think it was.
Why on Earth wouldn't you ever check your bolt face? That should be routine when cleaning your rifle, one would think.

Why on Earth wouldn't you ever check your bolt face? That should be routine when cleaning your rifle, one would think.
I don’t get that either. I don’t clean my bore every time but I do clean the chamber and bolt and give it a once over. I store the rifle with the bolt out so it gets also gets a visual look over as well. Any issues like brass buildup under the extractor gets noticed right away and cleaned out. My AX 308 has over 6000 rounds through it and the bolt face looks like new. The majority of ammo through it has been Federal Gold Medal Match and Ruag Swiss P but when hand loading I don’t use brass with loose primer pockets or try to load 308 Win projectiles to 300 Win Mag velocities either.

Why does AI not simply sell the bolt head as a separate part? That would make shit like this
an easy fix.

Because people who are stupid enough to fuck up the bolt face are certainly stupid enough to fuck up the bolt head install.
Yep, and then blame AI.

Basing things on the lowest common denominator is just an unfortunate universal truth.

AI will replace the bolt head only at an authorized service center or the factory, but they will not sell the bolt head by itself to an end user.

They won't sell it separately because the bolt head is pinned and epoxied into the bolt body and they probably don't trust an end user to do it correctly. Get the epoxy prep wrong and it won't bond. Use too much and you obstruct the firing pin. Set the roll pins too high and they bind in the action. And don't forget bubba who knocks the pins out and finds the bolt head won't budge so he heats everything up with a torch to loosen the epoxy and gets things hot enough to mess with the heat treat of the bolt body.

And like it was said above, whoever did it will probably call or complain online that it's AI 's fault, lol.

AI will replace the bolt head only at an authorized service center or the factory, but they will not sell the bolt head by itself to an end user.

They won't sell it separately because the bolt head is pinned and epoxied into the bolt body and they probably don't trust an end user to do it correctly. Get the epoxy prep wrong and it won't bond. Use too much and you obstruct the firing pin. Set the roll pins too high and they bind in the action. And don't forget bubba who knocks the pins out and finds the bolt head won't budge so he heats everything up with a torch to loosen the epoxy and gets things hot enough to mess with the heat treat of the bolt body.

And like it was said above, whoever did it will probably call or complain online that it's AI 's fault, lol.
Did not know that the bolt head was epoxied to the bolt, the action to the chassis yes. Seems like they decided
that the roll pins were not enough, odd.

Did not know that the bolt head was epoxied to the bolt, the action to the chassis yes. Seems like they decided
that the roll pins were not enough, odd.

The older bolts from the AW, PSR, AT, AE, and AX/AXMC certainly had both epoxy and roll pins holding the bolt head in. Acts as both a liquid shim and would also let the rifle keep running even if the roll pins fell out.

Maybe the newer bolts use the roll pins only, but I'm guessing AI still epoxies the bolt heads on the ATX and AXSR even if they no longer epoxy the action to the chassis.

Regardless, AINA will not sell a customer just a bare bolt head, factory service center item only. It's hard enough just to buy a firing pin from them if you want a spare or want to send a second firing pin along to get turned down while you're having the firing pin hole bushed...

With the cost of the replacement bolt $750 (Canadian) I'd definitely go after the seller if you haven't already done so. Even though you purchased the AT in 2021. I've been shooting for 50 years and have never seen a bolt face as pitted as your AT. 90 rounds thru it, horse lucky.

maybe 90 rounds of .308....

what about the 1000s of hot loads that were shot through the previous .260 or 6.5cm barrel that was on it that made those pits?

Seriously, he might not be intentionally lying and that .308 barrel may only have had 90 rounds, but its obvious from that bolt face the BOLT has seen more than 90. I think given the fact that AI rifles are mutli-caliber its probably a good idea to request bolt face pics prior to buying used. I certainly will be with any future preowned AI purchases

With the cost of the replacement bolt $750 (Canadian) I'd definitely go after the seller if you haven't already done so. Even though you purchased the AT in 2021. I've been shooting for 50 years and have never seen a bolt face as pitted as your AT. 90 rounds thru it, horse lucky.
The seller lied, he said he bought it new, he actually bought it second hand, original owner shot 260 rem with it and a LFP. That caused the damage. I bought a new bolt and sold the gun.
maybe 90 rounds of .308....

what about the 1000s of hot loads that were shot through the previous .260 or 6.5cm barrel that was on it that made those pits?

Seriously, he might not be intentionally lying and that .308 barrel may only have had 90 rounds, but its obvious from that bolt face the BOLT has seen more than 90. I think given the fact that AI rifles are mutli-caliber its probably a good idea to request bolt face pics prior to buying used. I certainly will be with any future preowned AI purchases
See above, Same here I since sold it and bought a new AX but yes definitely going to do so in the future. I'd like an AXSR one day

This is gas cut , by a peirched primer , cuts metal like a gas-axe , had it happen to a Sako 75 in 223rem , running fed primers , std ADI load , it was soft/thin primers , 2 rounds cut the bolt head up , to do the damage shown , it looks like 3-4 rounds at lest to do that damage .
Simply thin weak primers and warm to hot loads .
My AI has had 2-3k 308 handloads thru it , looks virtually new , a slight discolour primer ring on the bolt face and thats IT .

This is gas cut , by a peirched primer , cuts metal like a gas-axe , had it happen to a Sako 75 in 223rem , running fed primers , std ADI load , it was soft/thin primers , 2 rounds cut the bolt head up , to do the damage shown , it looks like 3-4 rounds at lest to do that damage .
Simply thin weak primers and warm to hot loads .
My AI has had 2-3k 308 handloads thru it , looks virtually new , a slight discolour primer ring on the bolt face and thats IT .
Thats not 3-4 rounds, more like hundreds of rounds.