• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI ATX? PRS?

hairy_pineapple588

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2022
Texas
So I’ve been shooting long range with a 223 and 308 gas gun for 3 years. I am wanting to grab a bolt action. I am looking to do intro to PRS and just general long range shooting. I’ve been to a PRS match and shoot with guys at my range who have an impact 737 build, ARC Nucleus and Gap Tempest and when I mentioned I wanted and ATX I got the response of “why” so I know it’s not for everyone. I’ve had the “AI itch” for a while and am looking at the ATX. I realize this is a production rifle with quirks and such. I have a buddy who has a AI AXSA and I’ve shot his a couple times.

So my questions are as follows. I will preface this with I’m not looking for opinions some experience first hand info.

Is anyone using their ATX for Prs?
What caliber are you using?
If you shot Prs with your ATX did you like it, find it acceptable, or have you switched or gone back to customs?
If you switched from a custom to a ATX, I would like to hear why and how it’s going.

I’m between the ATX in 6cm to start with or building with a Terminus Zues/impact 737

Thanks.

Not much help with your first questions, but here goes:

It'll fall a lot more on the Indian than the arrow if you're competing with the AT-X, Zeus, and 737. There are a few quirks that may sway your decision like bolt lift effort, or having a swept bolt handle...or whether your a chassis or stock guy. Each has their own die hard fan base for a reason.

I own a few rifles, and an AT-X is one of them. I got mine simply because I always wanted an AI, and for that I'm not disappointed.

I’ve got the AXSA and love it but not so much for PRS. I’m also not competing at a high level, just local matches. Even just the AX chassis with whatever clone is a great feel as I love the ergonomics.

The ATX is supposed to overcome the issues related to PRS competition and there are plenty of guys using the ATX for PRS. The main advantage as I understand it is a low center of gravity and the ability to add on the weights for balance. If you like the AI ergos then it will probably be right up your alley.

AFAIK the ATX users are running the same cartridges as anyone else. Some version of 6BR or 6GT. There were some mag issues early on but I think they have worked out the kinks now.

Think about these people the equivalent of “why would you spend $4000.00 on an Knights Armament when you can build a custom badass ar for $2500.00”….😂

I've only ever shot one PRS match so I don't have much experience there. However, the match I did shoot happened a few weeks ago and my rifle scope gave me issues so Jacob Bynum lent me his ATX to shoot the match.

For being my first match ever, I had a lot of fun but I also noticed the rifle was definitely up to the task. I do not believe the rifle hindered me in any way, shape, or form. As a matter of fact, I heard a couple guys in my squad mention that it almost seemed I was shooting an AR with how fast I was on the bolt. So the the rifle was really smoot. I had two mags. One was an AW & the other a regular AICS, the rifle worked fine with either.

I think if you get an ATX, you'll be just fine and grow with it. It certainly won't hinder you and you'll become efficient with it the more you use it.

Reactions: jackinfl
I'm just in to see how many people who spent $4300+ on a rifle will be in to say it was a bad idea. LOL OP you should take a look at some matches and see how many AI rifles are used. Hint, not many. I'd do your second idea if I were you.

I'm a fan of the ATX, it looks and feels great.

But I would build and compete with an Impact 737. There is a reason they dominate PRS.

I compete with a 737, my back up gun is a 737, etc etc etc

Reactions: kthomas and taliv
I have an ATX.

I shoot PRS.

I love shooting the ATX in PRS.

I will be the first to admit that no AI is optimized for PRS, including the ATX.

I will also continue shooting my ATX in PRS and calling everyone else peasants.

I have an ATX.

I shoot PRS.

I love shooting the ATX in PRS.

I will be the first to admit that no AI is optimized for PRS, including the ATX.

I will also continue shooting my ATX in PRS and calling everyone else peasants.
Show us pics or it didnt happen

I'm just in to see how many people who spent $4300+ on a rifle will be in to say it was a bad idea. LOL OP you should take a look at some matches and see how many AI rifles are used. Hint, not many. I'd do your second idea if I were you.

I own one. Can't say it's a completely "bad" idea. But I tend to gravitate back to rifles I can use a diamond trigger on.

IMO, the trigger is the main thing holding AI back from being a bit more popular in PRS. The bolt lift is heavy, but easily mitigated with proper mechanics.

The trigger however, is what it is.

I shoot prs with an AT in a mpa. I'm the original AT in a mpa guy. I've won several club matches and been in the 20's a few times at 2 day matches. I friend of mine has won several 2 day matches at rifles only with an AT. The rifle isn't going to hold you back but definitely adjust the trigger or if you don't like a 2 stage get the comp trigger. It's like with anything else, it's the dumbass pulling the trigger. The equipment is more then capable

Did this. Got to shoot a ARC Nuclues, impact 737 and play with a Gap tempest. The two guys who were talking to me were cool. I mentioned I wanted an ai and they were like “why”. All three of their rifles were so nice. I liked the Nucleus and tempest better than the impact tho.

Forget this "what should I buy." or "is this rifle I like a good rifle for..."

Get in a good PRS style long range shooting class. A class that offers loaner rifles. Shoot optimized PRS rifles and see how you shoot. Then make a decision as to what you want to buy.

I have no dog in this hunt, but you really need to think it all though before spending the bucks cause PRS is a big bucks sport.

Final thought, what works great for me, might be misery for you. Take any and all advice, even advice you asked for with a grain of salt. Best advice, try before you buy and then consider the alternatives.

Forget this "what should I buy." or "is this rifle I like a good rifle for..."

Get in a good PRS style long range shooting class. A class that offers loaner rifles. Shoot optimized PRS rifles and see how you shoot. Then make a decision as to what you want to buy.

I have no dog in this hunt, but you really need to think it all though before spending the bucks cause PRS is a big bucks sport.

Final thought, what works great for me, might be misery for you. Take any and all advice, even advice you asked for with a grain of salt. Best advice, try before you buy and then consider the alternatives.
Did this recently. Arc nucleus in a whiskey 3, impact in a Solus chassis and Gap tempest in a Acc elite. They were all very nice.

The biggest limitation with the ATX is the trigger. I don't think there's a single other thing between all the rifles previously mentioned that amounts to a hill of beans difference between a shooting a Terminus, an Impact, a Tempest, or an AI action in a match other than the trigger. Pick your issue and defend stance. The reliability. The mushy two stage bullshit. Whatever you want. But the issue is you simply have no other options with that action than the trigger it came with. If you ever have an issue with the trigger on the gun, whatever issue that might be, you're fucked. Because there ain't nothing else you're going to put on it. There just isn't any other way around it. And no one will deny that. You got what you got operator.

I have had an AT for 9 years and love it, shooting PSR (precision service rifle) with it with success, so I bought an AT-X.
Then the ARC CDG came out and I jumped on that bandwagon……
Side by side I have to say the CDG is much easier to use from shitty positions, barricades, tyres, drums etc, due to its better bolt lift. I also love my TT diamond trigger, but to be honest have no beef with the standard AI trigger.
I’m shooting 6BR so I’m constant fear of jams, but haven’t had one in 3 comps, maybe lucky?
My AT in .260 has never jammed.

I realize a great trigger can make a difference, but if you can’t make hits with an ATX ya might want to consider pickle ball…

I realize a great trigger can make a difference, but if you can’t make hits with an ATX ya might want to consider pickle ball…
You can do this shit with a non-true'd Remington 700. That ain't the point. It's about subjective options and features. And having to send dead ATX triggers back two and three times.

You can do this shit with a non-true'd Remington 700. That ain't the point. It's about subjective options and features. And having to send dead ATX triggers back two and three times.

Beating a dead horse here but of the 3-4 that I’ve had and probably 97% of other comp triggers haven’t seen any failures 🤷‍♂️ I don’t even clean those suckers.

For my money I’ve seen a fuckton more TT, B&A, etc etc fail than AIs, though certainly far from a perfect comparison… but the point is that all triggers can and will fail.

Reactions: R.Walters
So I’ve been shooting long range with a 223 and 308 gas gun for 3 years. I am wanting to grab a bolt action. I am looking to do intro to PRS and just general long range shooting. I’ve been to a PRS match and shoot with guys at my range who have an impact 737 build, ARC Nucleus and Gap Tempest and when I mentioned I wanted and ATX I got the response of “why” so I know it’s not for everyone. I’ve had the “AI itch” for a while and am looking at the ATX. I realize this is a production rifle with quirks and such. I have a buddy who has a AI AXSA and I’ve shot his a couple times.

So my questions are as follows. I will preface this with I’m not looking for opinions some experience first hand info.

Is anyone using their ATX for Prs?
What caliber are you using?
If you shot Prs with your ATX did you like it, find it acceptable, or have you switched or gone back to customs?
If you switched from a custom to a ATX, I would like to hear why and how it’s going.

I’m between the ATX in 6cm to start with or building with a Terminus Zues/impact 737

Thanks.
Went through same story. Ended up with ATX, but Zeus and Impact are equivalent for PRS or they won't be the limiting factor. I run ATX at PRS comps in 6.5CM mainly now. If you want a crutch go for the variety of 6mm available - but what do you do when you end up shooting in a different area entirely, windy and distance? switch the barrel? well better be competent with 2 systems now not just 1. Now go travel to another part of US - do u trust your gun system to hold up to TSA? ATX owners should - I do.

I bought thinking yea barrel change multiple guns in 1...truth to it but Im finding I like 6.5 during shooting season and short .308 during winter/offseason to hone skills.

It depends how far you want to get in PRS and how fast. Depends on a lot but mostly you just have to pull the trigger on 1 and already be aware none of this is a certainty. Get an 8thMOA gun but can only perform to 1MOA....et al.

I like Joel Russo/Terminus and will be getting a Zeus from him in 2024. Impact is awesome too.

Reactions: hairy_pineapple588
ATX 6.5 Creed PRS shooter.

Its a pig (so are all PRS rifles).

No issues with trigger (other than I get excited and squeeze off early) or positions that my fat ass doesn't already contribute too. Bunch of loudmouths about the trigger had me all nervous and shit. Never had an issue.

Having shot USPSA where everyone is a gear queer chaser, it isn't about the rifle. Shoot what you like. Guys could win matches with Glocks, and Tricked out Tanfos. Most targets in PRS are 1MOA or Bigger (typically 2 MOA). The shooter is the issue, not the equipment (Unless your equipment doesn't run--looking at your Open shooters!).

There's haters that come along and shit on every brand. AI, Impact, Bighorn ARC, Defiance,, Curtis, Terminus, <your favorite brand>. Fuck give a top guy a savage and watch people's mind implode.

Everyone wants to copy "the top people"

I'll throw down right here:
Statistically prove 1 action is more accurate than another.

It can't be done (Mostly because people are bad at math, my PO is its all in the barrel anyway).

Why do people buy corvettes and Ferarris. You can't hardly ever drive them abouve 90?

Because we can. Peasants.

PS If I masturbate with my left hand, run bolt with my left, will that even out and give me a studly physique? Asking for a friend.

PPS I'm always going to be buying another rifle---can't just have 1!

Reactions: tex68w
There was a post from an AI rep here (don’t remember exactly where) but gave year by year updates on every comp trigger they had issues with. What guns they were in. How they were solved and that there’s no triggers currently being worked on.

Seemed some earlier ones were the issues. But even at that the percentage of triggers needing work was very low

Beating a dead horse here but of the 3-4 that I’ve had and probably 97% of other comp triggers haven’t seen any failures 🤷‍♂️ I don’t even clean those suckers.

For my money I’ve seen a fuckton more TT, B&A, etc etc fail than AIs, though certainly far from a perfect comparison… but the point is that all triggers can and will fail.
Sure. But with a 700-based action you have options. You can be like, F Trigger Tech! I'm never going to use them again! I'm going to buy a Bix and Andy or Tubb, or Elftman, or whatever weirdo thing you want to try. But with an ATX, you got NO OPTIONS. If you're trigger fails, you send it back. It fails again? You send it back again. And then what? How many times do you use Vortex's warranty before you're done sending it back?

I have buddies that sent there triggers back to Mile High multiple times and eventually just sold their ATX and went back to a custom. Recently.

Sure. But with a 700-based action you have options. You can be like, F Trigger Tech! I'm never going to use them again! I'm going to buy a Bix and Andy or Tubb, or Elftman, or whatever weirdo thing you want to try. But with an ATX, you got NO OPTIONS. If you're trigger fails, you send it back. It fails again? You send it back again. And then what? How many times do you use Vortex's warranty before you're done sending it back?
Maybe we’ll see the upgrades the new border patrol rifles have coming.

That would be amazing. The shame in it would be if the modification that allows an AI action to use an aftermarket 700 trigger is in the bolt and it costs $1200 for a new bolt and they trickle them to the states like hinges.

mine is in 6.5 cm . works great for PRS my shots are easy to trace .

Attachments

• PRS ATX.jpg
    PRS ATX.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 88
Went through same story. Ended up with ATX, but Zeus and Impact are equivalent for PRS or they won't be the limiting factor. I run ATX at PRS comps in 6.5CM mainly now. If you want a crutch go for the variety of 6mm available - but what do you do when you end up shooting in a different area entirely, windy and distance? switch the barrel? well better be competent with 2 systems now not just 1. Now go travel to another part of US - do u trust your gun system to hold up to TSA? ATX owners should - I do.

I bought thinking yea barrel change multiple guns in 1...truth to it but Im finding I like 6.5 during shooting season and short .308 during winter/offseason to hone skills.

It depends how far you want to get in PRS and how fast. Depends on a lot but mostly you just have to pull the trigger on 1 and already be aware none of this is a certainty. Get an 8thMOA gun but can only perform to 1MOA....et al.
Very cool. I am 95% sure I am going to order and atx soon. I just want to be at least not hindered by anything.

Most likely I’ll stick to 6mm, 6.5 and 308.

There are no trigger changes. The solicitation required a factory trigger which AI has in their normal trigger. And it required being able to use an aftermarket single and two stage trigger. Which the competition trigger fills the requirement as it's built for AI by another manufacturer.

Reactions: MxTexas
There are no trigger changes. The solicitation required a factory trigger which AI has in their normal trigger. And it required being able to use an aftermarket single and two stage trigger. Which the competition trigger fills the requirement as it's built for AI by another manufacturer.
So that's how they got around that solicitation huh? Terrible for some of us who are looking forward to AIs with actual aftermarket triggers. I have a couple of custom actions in the AT-X AICS chassis and they're pretty much perfect for me.

Well aren’t we just Johnny rain cloud 🌧️

I’m making the 2025 predictions

ATX

Available in .223, 6, 6.5, 308, 7wsm and 300WSm

RH/LH configurations

Standard folders

Ability to use R700 trigger (but why 🤪)

Short/long forend configurations

#4lbsboltliftgang

You heard it here first fellas!

So that's how they got around that solicitation huh? Terrible for some of us who are looking forward to AIs with actual aftermarket triggers. I have a couple of custom actions in the AT-X AICS chassis and they're pretty much perfect for me.
Got any pics? I am interested in this idea. What were your top reasons for just building with the chassis?

Well aren’t we just Johnny rain cloud 🌧️

I’m making the 2025 predictions

ATX

Available in .223, 6, 6.5, 308, 7wsm and 300WSm

RH/LH configurations

Standard folders

Ability to use R700 trigger (but why 🤪)

Short/long forend configurations

#4lbsboltliftgang

You heard it here first fellas!
Dream list lol

Reactions: hafejd30
Another thing I’m thinking about is why it’s on sale and if there is something coming I should wait for.

I mean, not really "getting around" it. They provided a rifle that has what the solicitation asked for. The comp trigger has always been made by XTSP and not AI.

I agree though, I'd love to see a Triggertech Diamond for an AI.

Reactions: MxTexas
Anyone have an answer for the ATX with mag capacity? Lots of PRS matches have 12rd 90 sec stages. I have yet to find an extended AW style magazine that will work for a factory ATX...... or I just need to get faster at mag changes.

I mean, not really "getting around" it. They provided a rifle that has what the solicitation asked for. The comp trigger has always been made by XTSP and not AI.

I agree though, I'd love to see a Triggertech Diamond for an AI.

I don't have the final copy of the MPWP SOW but the draft mentioned the ability to accommodate aftermarket triggers (4.4.3). When I read it, I personally did not imagine the AI Comp Trigger being the point. It really is too bad.

Untitled.jpg