• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI-AW 1.5 vs. 2.0 + Accessories

Doc1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Orlando, FL
I am still in the midst of purchasing an AI-AW. Shot a friend's AIs yesterday and all I can say is WOW. While I know opinions vary (different strokes ...) these weapons are fabulous. The custom AICS that I also shot was GTG as well and is actually for sale - but ...

Ok, his is a 1.5 AW, but for right now the length of the weapon will not fit in my present safe (too many rows of pistols up top and "no" I do not wish to give them to you to make room in the safe
whistle.gif
). Another safe is on the drawing board for some other possible new rifles, but is not a reality yet. So, I will be going with a 2.0 - unless some of you here talk me out of it ... and I am open to your suggestions.

If I do go with the 2.0 folder then how useful do you/would you find the <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Quick Adj. Cheek piece & Quick Adj. Butt Pad</span></span> options? (LR shooting out to 1000 yards (20%), but mostly out to 300 yards (80%) using S&B 4x16 scope). The KNURLED SCREW FOR CHEEK PIECE is a great option and fast and much more economical then the Quick Adj. Cheek piece ...but?

PS: I am sure this has been discussed before and I did do a search with nothing specific on the exact nature of this topic. So, I'm sure I missed where this was discussed before and thank you for your patience to take up the discussion again.

Re: AI-AW 1.5 vs. 2.0 + Accessories

I love the quick cheek option as well as the built in butt spike. Makes it quick to deploy, and they are made of metal.

The other beauty of the folder is that when cleaning the butt is out the way. Also if you travel with the rifle, you can use a much smaller pelican type case. It makes a difference if u get stuck with one of those small rental cars where you have to leave the seat down in order to get the whole case in. With the 2.0 you can get a much smaller case, and not have to worry about that. Makes a difference when you are at a rest area knowing no one sees your case, etc.

First, your post gives me the indication that you don't think the 1.5 is adjustable, which it is. The only thing you are getting by going with the 2.0 over the 1.5 is the adjustments.

The knurled screws are nice but completely unnecessary in the 2.0 as once the cheek weld is set for you, why would you need to adjust it? The knurled knobs are for the 1.5's where you need to remove the cheek piece to clean it.

Storage, cleaning convenience (but how often are you cleaning?) and travel is the only justification for the added cost of the 2.0

I have owned both folders and non-folders. I have cone to the conclusion that I will always own a folder if it is an option. They are just handy as hell and you don't give up anything (save perhaps for a little wieght).

Basically...why not. Even if you find you never use it, it is still there if you have to. And, really, we are talking about a $6000+ weapon...is the cost of this option really going to make that much difference?

I find it WAY easier to press one button and fold the stock out of the way that to loosen two screws, pull the cheekpeice and have to re-index the cheekpeice when putting it back together.

I have no expeience with the quick adjust features. I never saw a need for them. Once my rifle is set to me, it is set.

Thanks for the comments.

I apologize my ?? were confusing to you Mike, as I do know the 1.5 is adj. as I mentioned the KNURLED SCREW and I also already have a ADJUSTABLE BUTT PLATE and Spacers priced out for it. My concern was if the Quick Adj. Cheek piece & Quick Adj. Butt Pad for the 2.0 are worth the extra $$ (app 650+) or should I just stick with the ... other plan (app 150).

Thanks again.

Certainly having the folded stock option is more convenient for storage and cleaning as well. As far as the adjustable cheek piece is concerned, I think it looks better than not having it. That's just a cosmetic issue. Secondly, I find that I have never had to adjust the cheek piece other than leaving it in its lowest position. This of course depending on how high you set up your scope. So bottom line is with the cheek piece, IMHO, it looks cooler. It serves me no other purpose, but will need it if my scope rings are too high. Good decision on an AIAW. Once you work that bolt, it's hard to go back to others.

Folder, because taking the cheek piece off to get the bolt out is too much trouble.

I just took delivery of mine. I asked the same questions you did but i kinda knew the answers already. I had been shooting AICS stocks for a while. I don't care for the butt spike, and there is simply no need for the quick adjust parts for a single shooter. Mine is a plain 24" folder. I'm not regretting any of it.

Thanks for the additional info everyone. I will go for the 2.0 and possibly the cheek rest option and the more economical adj butt plate w/spacers (not the quick adj. butt...) - if they have it in stock....

As for the love for the 1.5 - I still love them - as it is instrumental in me purchasing a 2.0 - primarily for space issues - the cheek screws are not a hassle IMO and simply the process immensely. If they do not have the 2.0 I will just purchase the 1.5 and another safe ...