• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW Questions, advise needed.

vno.helix

"comfort is the enemy of progress"
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
www.linkedin.com
I am ready for my next rifle and would like some opinions of those in the know:

1. AI AW 300WM, 1:11 twist. How will this work for the 220 SMK, 230 Berger Hybrid available from SW ammo or if available as loaded ammo anywhere anytime; the even more desirable 208 Amax. I am fearing I need 1:10 as a minimum twist for these heavy bullets, maybe even 1:9. Am I wrong?

2. Does the magazine insert for the AIMC PSR work for the AW300 and is this available as well as a bolt head? In other words, can the long action be converted to short action if I would desire to do so and offer me a 300WM/6.5 Creedmoor combo?

3. If this does not work for the AW, how about the 2014 AX-300WM with the PSR magazine conversion insert and bolt. Also, does anyone know the twist on this soon to arrive rifle?

Motivation; My choice of what I shoot is driven by the availability of loaded match ammo. I do not reload and have no desire nor time to do so. From my perspective; More options is better and the combination of 300WM and 6.5mm is what I am after. Am I delusional? Feel free to set me straight.

Max initial funding available 7.5K and will continue from there on if needed. If the "potential delusional" idea I have is not an option, then a 300WM will most likely be my choice. That is if the 1:11 twist can handle the earlier mentioned heavy high BC ammo, however, I am slightly worried about this.

Many thanks,

Last edited:
1: Quick way to tell if a particular twist/velocity will be stable in a given environment. (JBM - Calculations - Stability) I don't see a problem with a 1-11 though.

2: Nope. AWSM (300WM and 338LM) is long action only. The AWSM platform can be changed between a 300WM and 338LM bolt, barrel and mags though. Technically 338LM mags sort of work with 300WM with some feed lip manipulation. (For the books, the "AW" series only references the short-action (.308) platform. AWSM is always long-action. Also, nothing between the AX/AXMC/PSR is interchangeable with the AW series, with the exception that AWSM barrels will fit the AX series (not the AXMC though). These platforms are still so new that I am prepared to stand corrected on some of the barrel interchangeability.

3: The AXMC will be released in two flavors. SA-only and LA 338LM. Needless to say that SA-only is what you would expect (.308, 6.5, etc.) The AXMC in 338LM will ship with the components to fire 338LM initially, but won't offer the 300WM or any SA caliber conversion kits for some time. Could be months, could be a year or more. No info has been released about the conversion kits to date except for "they are coming".

Ultimately it kinda sounds like you want a PSR. For $16,200, that will sure take care of everything. Mile High still has some in stock :D

I'll be honest, these rifles all shoot lights out all day, but if you aren't reloading you won't be getting the full potential out of what the platform has to offer. Black Hills, Lapua factory, etc., etc... Sure, but with any magnum caliber these days and enough trigger time to really settle in with the platform you can watch the bank account slowly melt away. Retail ammo = expensive for some. For others, they don't mind. By no means do I insinuate that it will shoot like total crap with factory ammunition, but one can always tune another 1/4 MOA out with customized loads.

Hope this somewhat helps you out a bit.

AIAW,

Thank you for your time.

Eurooptic is listing what I believe to be the soon available 2014 AXMC in a 300WM. Hence my "illusion" of a 300WM/short action conversion combo. I agree, the PSR would offer the solution, however, there is only so much one can justify.

No problem at all. It is entirely possible that a 300WM will debut, or at least the conversion kit will appear shortly after. Alex is a great guy and I have never been steered wrong with his expertise.

I also hear you with the PSR. Justification is definitely a good phrase to use there.