• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW vs AWP

Re: AI AW vs AWP

Pretty sure there are alot on here that can chime in with pretty deep knowledge. I think its pretty academic after a point, especially once one starts changing barrels, etc. To me, the thing on AW is whether its a folder or not and the stock options such as quick adjust since those are pretty much factory options and once determined aren't going to be changed very much.

From my understanding and as an AW owner this is how it was explained to me:
The AW was a 26" barrel with the single chamber muzzle break. The AWP was a plain 24" barrel without the muzzle break.
The AW was marketed more towards the military and the AWP towards law enforcement.
When Accuracy International started offering more barrel options for the AW and came out with the AE they began calling all non-magnum AW versions "AW's" and started marketing the AE to law enforcement in place of the AWP.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
wink.gif

The AWP is an AI AW with a 24" plain barrel. The contour is also heavier than that of the 26" variants. An AW is still an AW no matter what length barrel is on it as "Artic Warfare" is not a military designation.

The AE (Accuracy Enforcement) is a whole other animal. See the link above for the differences.

Basically now there is no difference. When you order an AW, you simply specify what barrel length/configuration, muzzle brake options, caliber and the chassis setup and you have an AW. Back many years ago, things were referred to differently such as the AW meaning it was a 26" w/muzzle brake OD finish and OD skins. Then the AWP was the AW with the 24" plain barrel with Black skins. Then later the OD finish went away, all AW's came with Black metal finish and the model names kinda stuck and still do to this date. Just as with the "AWM" (referring to the .300WM or 7mmRM) and "AWSM" (referring to the .338 Lapua Mag), which utilize the same receiver just different barrels, magazines, bolt heads and extractors. So if you see one which the owner is selling that was from the 90's then you will see them commonly referred to as listed above since that is what they originally purchased. So no harm no foul but all is the same just a different model name reference from the earlier days. Good question and hope this helps.