• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW50 vs McMillan Tac-50

badkarma1985

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2008
Fort Lauderdale,FL USA
Hey guys I'm looking to buy another rifle and after I talked myself out of the 408 it has come down to these two guns. I am looking for anyone who has had any experience with either of these or preferably both rifles. I have done my research on my end and I already own AI's as well as a McMillan. Please give me any feedback you can.

Re: AI AW50 vs McMillan Tac-50

If you can afford it, I would go with the AI. I am NOT saying that's it is a better stick than the McMillan. It's just the badass factor that's all. I myself thought about it for a long time, but could bring myself to do it. Good luck

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I'd look into the .408 a little more. If your gonna pay that much you mite as well get the chey tac m200 it's supposed to hold a 16" group @ 2200yrds. Wow

McMillan TAC 50 hands down!
the AW 50 is an outstanding rifle, but out in left field in terms of price.
i would put my money on the Mcmillan.all the past 1K world records shot with a 50 bmg,all used the Mcmillan rifles or their 50 BMG recievers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look into the .408 a little more. If your gonna pay that much you mite as well get the chey tac m200 it's supposed to hold a 16" group @ 2200yrds. Wow </div></div>

I have read up on the rifle and I do like it a lot but I cant justify paying $1100 for 198rds. Maybe in the future if the .408 ammo ever comes down comparable to the .338 prices, I would pick one up.

I think tigerbikes has had both, I am having a Mcmillan built by Patriot. What will you use your 50 for? What sort of ammo do you plan on using, and what kind of accuracy do you desire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nl12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think tigerbikes has had both, I am having a Mcmillan built by Patriot. What will you use your 50 for? What sort of ammo do you plan on using, and what kind of accuracy do you desire? </div></div>
Right now I have a Barrett 82 which is a great gun but I am looking for a 50 that is a more precise weapon. I would use it mostly for target shooting at long ranges. As far as ammo goes I have been looking into the 750 AMAX unless something else is recommended. Accuracy wise I know both shoot tighter groups than my Barrett so either one will do. Mainly I am looking to see if one is built better and/or more accurate than the other.

What about the EDM rifles, they are nice and way cheaper than an AI and also way easier to transport than a long tac 50. Have you researched these? They are supposed to be accurate and have tight match chambers.

CJG

I would probably go for the AIAW50 if that is the case. I was torn between the AIAW50 but ended up with a M95 because a friend had one for a really good deal. I probably saved about 10k. However now that I am paranoid that they may try to ban them I am also thinking about a AIAW50. LOL!!!!

I have a friend who owns a Tac50. He later bought a Windrunner. I think the AIAW overall is a better system. However it is a lot more money then the Tac50.

Spec,
I am leaning towards the AW myself. Seems like it is built stronger than Big Mac and even though it commands a higher price, I think on a resale it will hold its value more. The only negative is that the AW is a year out and the McMillan is 6 months out.

If you go to the rifles for sale there was one in there for sale with ALL the accessories about a week or 2 ago.

here it is.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=995775&nt=2&page=1
I want a finders fee Tigerbikes
wink.gif

Mechanic,
Thanks for the heads up. I believe Tigerbikes still has it for sale. I would want to purchase a new one though. Something about putting that first round down it makes me feel better about the gun.
smile.gif

My paranoid self would tell you to get that order in soon. You never know when they will decide to clamp down on the 50. You may be one of the lucky few with a 30K rifle after a ban. However we may never see a ban either. If we don't see a ban then you will just be one of the lucky ones who owns a very nice 50. It is a lot of money so hopefully you are squared away financially for the coming future.

I tried emailing Stacey about the order. I know he is out taking care of his injury so once I hear from him, I will do what I need to get the gun squared away

Remember all rifles are shot from the factory so you never realy get to shoot it first.I would jump on Tigers he is good to go and with the political scenery you know what they say a bird in hand....

Add to that Tiger has sold more high end gear than I will likely ever own so I am sure its good to go. In fact Im chasing one of Tigers former rifles right now!!!!

If I had the coin, I wouldnt hesitate for 1 second to by Tiger's 50!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I am sure he is a good guy. I have never talked with him myself but I guess its just my OCD but I like buying new guns.

Hey brother its your coin, and a lot of it at that but I have to admit that worry on an AI 50 is kinda like worrying about a scratch on an m1a abrams tank
grin.gif

I haven't had the chance to shoot an AI 50 but I did get to shoot both a Robar RC-50 and an McMillan Tac50 side by side and the Robar was the more accurate rifle with both hand loads and factroy loaded ammo from HSM and Barret as well as mil-spec ball ammo.
the fella that owns the McMillan also owns an Armalite AR-50 that he had rebarreld and it shoot a bit better than both of the other two and is his favorite toy

just thought I might toss Robar into the mix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the McMillan Tac 50, that's on my wish list. </div></div>

lol right now your firearm is one on mine. Got my conformation email from Melissa today so now I get to start the hard part. But Im sure the wait will be worth it.
smile.gif

Have a mcmillan and an edm. Go with and edm you can get other calibers and use the same platform. The ai might be nice but whats the cost of parts and can you get them when you need them.Both the mcmillan and edm have great support and parts when needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a mcmillan and an edm. Go with and edm you can get other calibers and use the same platform. The ai might be nice but whats the cost of parts and can you get them when you need them.Both the mcmillan and edm have great support and parts when needed. </div></div>
TOTALLY RIGHT
And I have been using AW rifles since the early 90s when Malcolm Cooper ran the show.
Ed

Ed,
Just of of curiosity have you logged any time behind the AW50? If so I would like to know your impressions of the rifle.

badkarma85,
That's good to here! The SRS is my favorite system by far, we conducted barrel obstruction testing this morning with one of the SRS rifles and then we shot the SRS demo 338's out to 1650 yards.
laugh.gif

I got to handle the SRS at Shot Show and I must say I was pretty impressed. Out of curiosity, do you have any recommendations on which ammo to start stocking up on. Ive been buying 300gr. Black Hills for my AI. Just the way things have been going lately in this market if I can start stocking up now I think I will be ahead of the game in 5 months when my rifle should be ready.

For factory ammo then the Lapua match 250 Scenar is the most accurate I have tested, the Black hills is also very accurate in the SRS but it tends to have more occasional fliers than the Lapua. We have both BH and Lapua for sale. We got 3000 rounds of Lapua that is supposed to be showing up in a week or so.

Tac-50 repeater gets my vote. After a lot of research thats the 50 I decided to purchase.

Do you guys know if McMillan will be coming out with a newer version of the gun? I cant remember where I saw it but I thought I read somewhere that they were going to make some mods to the stock or something

Hi:
On Facebook they "McMillan" talks about the upgrades TAC-50A1

"The upgrades are; a completely new magazine attachment design, cheeck piece, bipod, pistol grip, extended fore end, monopod, vertical butt stock adjustment, night vision rail, and more. Really, its a pretty significant upgrade."

Here is the address.

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=McMillan+Tac-50&init=quick&tas=0.3951733728815067&search_first_focus=1300747288740#!/photo.php?fbid=10150157199036420&set=o.140381773367&theater

So have you bought a 50 yet?

Thanks
Scott Hannah

I have fired a MCM Tac 50 put together by Young's Guns, really sweet shooting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan TAC 50 hands down!
the AW 50 is an outstanding rifle, but out in left field in terms of price.
i would put my money on the Mcmillan.all the past 1K world records shot with a 50 bmg,all used the Mcmillan rifles or their 50 BMG recievers. </div></div>

Agreed.

Also, if you're interested: http://www.smithenterprise.com/products16.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all the past 1K world records shot with a 50 bmg,all used the Mcmillan rifles or their 50 BMG recievers. </div></div>

Agreed.

Also, if you're interested: http://www.smithenterprise.com/products16.html </div></div>

you need to do some home work before you post that kind of info

....While not every record has been set with a McMillan...it is probably pretty fair to say they are the most prevalent rifles in the winner’s circle at 50BMG 1000yd matches.

I don't think the reason is that they are flat better rifles most (almost all) of those rifles also had custom barrels/chambers etc...set up for bench-rest shooting. Kind of hard to draw a fair comparison to the AIAW50 designed to be dragged all over the countryside and tolerant of all kinds of ammunition.

I have shot the AIAW50 side by side with the McMillan...I like my AI better but then I spent the money on it and so I am probably biased. I want to get a new barrel and make it a bit more of a bench gun just to see what it can do with a match chamber and custom 32 inch barrel….

My experience so far has been pretty good (w/stock gun). I have managed some good groups the best being 5.5 inches or so at 1000yds and I think there is still room to improve without that new barrel.

Hope hat helps!

I know this is about the AW50 but it has been replaced with the AX50 and is available at a significantly lower price. It is an improvement over the AW50 and the first batch will be available in the USA within the next month.
Tom Irwin
Director
Accuracy International

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is about the AW50 but it has been replaced with the AX50 and is available at a significantly lower price. It is an improvement over the AW50 and the first batch will be available in the USA within the next month.
Tom Irwin
Director
Accuracy International </div></div>

I can't wait. I hope the lower price will be one I have been waiting for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is about the AW50 but it has been replaced with the AX50 and is available at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">a significantly lower price</span></span>. It is an improvement over the AW50 and the first batch will be available in the USA within the next month.
Tom Irwin
Director
Accuracy International </div></div>

How many Ks cheaper? Would love to get my hand on one of them.

there is an excellent article regarding a die maker that has some dies that will work great in your rifles larger chamber.you can get custom "chamber sleeves" and neck bushings for your larger chamber that is made to run whatever where ever ammo a military operator may throw in this thing. the latest issue of "Very High Power" the publication of the FCSA has the article and they mostly shoot the mcmillians but this guy made a direct mention to the aw 50 his friend had and the fact that most "common" .50 dies will over work the body of a case fired in your chamber. i'll try to get back with specific info when i get back.