• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AWSM or AX338

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Hey guys.
The "time to buy a rifle bug" has bitten me again. I currently have a AI AE MKII and I would like to add a big brother to the stable.
Currently I am leaning toward the sako trg 42 in 338LM. But kinda wondering if the AWSM and AX 338 can be had ,used, at a similar price point.
I think the trg has the upper hand for weight and maybe trigger and price.

AWSM:
Pro: it’s iconic status and a large crowd of followers;
Con: non CIP magazine length; may limit your use of SMK 300 bullets unless you hand feed; more costly.

AX338:
Pro: opposite to AWSM;
Con: opposite to AWSM.

I saw AWSM go between $5000 and 6000, and AX338 $4000-5000, depending...

Last edited:
I had an AWSM and the mag really does limit how far out you can seat the bullets as the above poster said.

I also had an AX308 and a TRG22. So not exactly what you are after but my order would be AX>AW>TRG.

The AWSM is cool because it has that cache, instantly recognizable and a real part of history. The AX just took that idea and made it better. The TRG is a nice rifle but it is no AI.

Hmm ok. Yeah I dont want to buy the AWSM and be limited to seating length, since I reload.
So looks like its between the ax338 and the sako trg42. May come down to price...but I am willing to pay a little more for the ax338.
Axmc is a maybe but I dont really need the multi caliber capability