• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AX308 Grip mods?

obr556

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2017
Oregon
I finally picked up a 2017 AX308.
I have always had traditional stocks and although I'm learning the chassis and pistol grip, and getting more comfortable each time out.

Does anyone have any recommendations to improve the grip feel?
How have you modified the stock pistol grip?

Thanks

Unless your hand is smaller or larger then normal I'm not sure why you would need to modify it. What about using it makes you uncomfortable.

The grip feels a bit slick maybe needs some more texture, and with the right hand folder my thumb hits the hinge when I don't do the full wrap, the way I hold my traditional stocks. Undoubtedly as I shoot it more I'll get used to it but was looking for advice

I wrap my thumb all the way around on my AX, to me it seems to have been designed that way...it's extremely comfortable, even if it is slightly slower to cycle the bolt.

That being said, if you want to run your thumb on the side rather than wrapped around, the best technique seems to be pointing your thumb forward rather than up. That way it fits comfortably under the hinge.

I can't comment on grip tape, I don't feel the need for it myself. But if you did, I'd suggest the rubber tape rather than the grit/skateboard tape, just so you don't rub your skin right off haha. Good luck and enjoy the new rifle!!!

Reactions: Kbh and 6brshooter
I put one of those on my AXMC. It’s just a rubber grip for a pistol. Don’t remember for which, but it makes the grip extremely comfortable.

982a7393c8c109ab5de5707554e3ab69.jpg

be6bd38f4d7da49206cf3204a2473979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Batemanb12 and BCX
I was considering one of the rubber pistol grips. May have to try it. I also thought about some baseball bat/ racket wrap.
As for the thumb I think it's made for a full grip, I'll keep practicing.

PS; I shouldn't have waited so long to get an AI, this thing rocks

6 weeks of daily dry fire - you won't even remember what the problem was.....

There’s definitely truth to that. I switched from a KRG chassis to the AX308 and it took a little getting used to. Now I’m faster on this rifle than I was on the previous.

My only addition I would make to the grip would be some sort of thumb shelf. Just a personal comfort I like to have.

I put one of those on my AXMC. It’s just a rubber grip for a pistol. Don’t remember for which, but it makes the grip extremely comfortable.

982a7393c8c109ab5de5707554e3ab69.jpg

be6bd38f4d7da49206cf3204a2473979.jpg

I really like that. Any chance you can find out what model?

ItÂ’s for a sw mp full size made by pachmayer
I really like it a lot. I've also got one in my DTA. Extremely comfortable.

I found that damn hole in the grip panel bottom was the worst thing for my comfort. Couldnt get on it right without my knuckle falling into it.

a piece of stick Velcro helped a LOT.

Attachments

• photo84185.png
    photo84185.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 285
I'm going to try the Talon grips, I put one of the pachmar wraps on but don't care for the molded in finger holds, I couldn't find one without. The Talon might be the answer.
Thanks

Ordered a talon rubber not textured .Will report back when I get it.Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the talon grip and AGrip heads up.Put the talon on and it’s nice.Fits well with a textured rubber finish.Also bought a sheet of the AGrip material and it will work great for on the cheekpiece.Its it’s like a suede or moleskin type feel to it.

I did posted some pictures in the AI pictures thread... Basically - I was not able to get use to the original grip. Maybe because I have Suregrips on other rifles... But after 6 months of suffering I had to change the grip. Now I am comfortable with it...

PuskyU04.jpg

Reactions: beenjammin
I did posted some pictures in the AI pictures thread... Basically - I was not able to get use to the original grip. Maybe because I have Suregrips on other rifles... But after 6 months of suffering I had to change the grip. Now I am comfortable with it...

View attachment 6864913
Hi There, I know this is an old post but wanted to ask— what did you have to modify to change up the grip on your AI? Did you mod the grip or the chassis?

BOOM!. here we go. I think Im gonna try this...

Last edited:

That looks interesting. Let us know how it goes. ...and obviously we expect pics.

If you have to have the latest thing bad enough to chop on a $7k rifle just because it looks different ... have at it I guess.

tenor.gif
It is only a $700 risk, as he can just buy a replacement stock. ... but the real question is what do you gain?

Reactions: Steel+Killer
If you have to have the latest thing bad enough to chop on a $7k rifle just because it looks different ... have at it I guess.

Well... I do not care about latest or the most expensive things or about the look of it. I used AX AICS because at the time it was the best chassis which gave me the features I wanted... Quality, folding stock over the bolt handle etc. But during time I found out that not everything is ergonomic on this chassis for me. And the grip was the worst part...

OK - when it does not work for me as I want - it is time to change it. Why should I adapt to the rifle? The rifle should adapt to me ;) So I did made the changes on the chassis. The same with the bag rider and bipod mount. The rifle as it is on the pictures was quite good for my shooting for one great season. It served me sooo well.

But my priorities changed over time and I do not have it anymore. I still have the action but that is all. The only other piece I am still using is the muzzle break on my training 223. The action with new barrel is serving me as hunting / backup match rifle with cheap chassis and cheap scope. My primary rifle for long range and tactical matches is very different but is using the same grip by the way... Because the grip fits me and still is the most ergonomic one for me (y)

Reactions: M8541Reaper

That looks interesting. Let us know how it goes. ...and obviously we expect pics.
Hey! That’s the ticket!

So has anyone tried this in the meantime?

Hi Guys,
I have developed a Pistol grip conversion for the AI rifles, AT, AX and AXMC.
The conversion does not alter the chassis in any way and allows the fitment of AR flat top pistol grips.
The kit comes with new AI stock sides and a complete new trigger guard.
A picture below of the grip conversion on 2 AXMCs and an AX.
For more information look here
20200704_120430.jpg

I’m looking forward to hearing if they’re solid.
M8541Reaper
The grip is solid, the new trigger guard is manufactured from Aluminum which bolts to the chassis and the pistol grip mounts to this. The replacement stock sides are standard items reworked to allow fitment with the new trigger guard, unlike the originals they do not support the pistol grip. This also allows the rifle to change back to the original pistol grip if required.
Alan

What does it screw in to in the chassis? Do we have to get our backbones drilled and tapped?

Based on the pictures and description I got from GTAC, it’s reusing the two screw holes that secure the trigger assembly. I imagine the longer screws sandwich the trigger between the guard and chassis. You can see the slots through which the longer screws would enter at the front and rear of the trigger guard.

Reactions: reubenski