• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXMC/AX MKIII in 338 Lapua Magnum and 308 Win for left handed shooter?

eirikheim

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2023
Finnsnes, Norway
Hi,

Looking for my first serious, expensive and accurate finished from factory rifle for long range shooting, hunting, prs and training. 338 for long range and maybe big game hunting, and 308 for everyday use. Anyone here have a 308 left handed bolt for 308 win? Seems hard to get, but at least found a link to the product at Eurooptics. Should be possible to get. I set out with either the AI or a Sako TRG M10 multi caliber rifles in my mind. Not many options for left handed shooters, but luckily it is not difficult to acquire the AXMC in 338 Lapua Magnum for left handed. I do not want to build something myself.

I served as a sniper in the Norwegian Army around 20 years ago and we had a 50 cal rifle and a 7,62 nato rifle and I am used to tactical weapons. I would like to get back to long range shooting again 10 years with my German shorthaired pointer. I also have a Tikka T3 in a GRS Warg stock and bipod with the Kohl's 318i for hunting and long range in 6,5x55 for left handed. I can use that while waiting for a 308 left handed bolt, but I need to know if it is possible to get. It would be a dealbreaker if not.

I do not want to buy a right handed and use the eye that is not dominant or shout left handed with a right handed weapon.
All my weapons: The Tikka T3 and a drilling in 6,5x52r/16 caliber are left handed.

Thanks!

Hey I read your post twice, I'm still not sure I completely understand it correctly so let me ask: you are left handed and left eye dominant?

I am from Norway, but I can see that my post is not very understandable no matter what.
I am left eye dominant, but right handed. But I have been shooting left handed weapons since I was in the army almost 20 years ago. And all my other weapons are left handed.

I want either the AI or the Sako, but as I have found out. Only the AI comes in left handed. But I would like to be able to use 308 as well. And therefor I am looking for confirmation that there is actually a left handed bolt for 308 win for the AXMC/AX MkIII and not only on papers. Should be since you can on some web pages order a 308 Win bolt or a AX MKIII set up with 308 for left handed.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Left hand AI rifles and bolts do exist, but are usually difficult to find as they don't seem to be regular production items.

If you can't find a dealer with an AXMC LH 308 bolt in stock or find a used one for sale, expect possibly a 1 year wait or even longer.

There was a post here recently where a member paid up front and waited 14 months for their AI left hand bolt backorder to arrive.

Thanks!
As long as it is possible I am OK to wait a year since I do also have my Tikka T3 in 6,5x55.
It seems reasonably OK to buy a AI AXMC left handed in the other caliber I want luckily, the 338 LM, and barrels and magazines for 308 W. Will only be the bolt that I would have to wait for.
Wondering if there are important differences between the AXMC and the AX MKIII, or it is better to buy what is possible. Guess there is now difference when it comes to the accuracy.

Would love to just see a picture of a left AI AXMC / MKIII. Browsing trough the picture thread now. Nothing yet. Hehe..

The only concern I would have finding and buying a left hand AXMC and then backordering and waiting for a left hand AXMC 308 bolt is the AXMC is no longer the newest production model, and who knows how long AI will continue to make parts for it.

With AI only running occasional batches of the LH bolts in all platforms, I would be very upset to buy a LH 338LM AXMC and then try to order an LH 308 bolt only to find out it is discontinued. I would call or email AI and verify they still plan to produce another batch of LH AXMC bolt bodies before purchasing the rifle.

It would probably be a safer bet to buy a LH AXSR as they are the most current model and AI is obviously still making parts for them (including the left hand rifles and bolt bodies) but that's quite a bit more money than an AXMC.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your input. I live in Norway. I guess I should look into the AX MKIII then, since it is the newest rifle in the European segment. One dealer said it would come a new rifle summer 2024.

I was getting confused on terminology for a moment, but then I realized what's called an AX MKIII over in Europe is an AXSR here in the US. So yes, AX MKIII is the current model.

There is nothing wrong with the older AXMC, but I would want to verify with AI that you will be able to get an LH 308 bolt body for it (even if you have to wait a year or so for the next production batch.)

Also, if you plan on shooting any non-308 caliber in the AXMC with the 308 bolt like 6/6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher, etc, I would suggest you get a small firing pin 308 bolt assembly. The large firing pin that was standard on the AXMC works fine on the magnum calibers and .308 win, but on calibers like Creedmoor and Dasher it can cause primer cratering or even piercing, especially if the cases use small primers rather than large primers.

Hi,

Looking for my first serious, expensive and accurate finished from factory rifle for long range shooting, hunting, prs and training. 338 for long range and maybe big game hunting, and 308 for everyday use. Anyone here have a 308 left handed bolt for 308 win? Seems hard to get, but at least found a link to the product at Eurooptics. Should be possible to get. I set out with either the AI or a Sako TRG M10 multi caliber rifles in my mind. Not many options for left handed shooters, but luckily it is not difficult to acquire the AXMC in 338 Lapua Magnum for left handed. I do not want to build something myself.

I served as a sniper in the Norwegian Army around 20 years ago and we had a 50 cal rifle and a 7,62 nato rifle and I am used to tactical weapons. I would like to get back to long range shooting again 10 years with my German shorthaired pointer. I also have a Tikka T3 in a GRS Warg stock and bipod with the Kohl's 318i for hunting and long range in 6,5x55 for left handed. I can use that while waiting for a 308 left handed bolt, but I need to know if it is possible to get. It would be a dealbreaker if not.

I do not want to buy a right handed and use the eye that is not dominant or shout left handed with a right handed weapon.
All my weapons: The Tikka T3 and a drilling in 6,5x52r/16 caliber are left handed.

Thanks!
I have an LH AT and an AXMC.

I have had an AXMC LH bolt body with the 300 WM bolt face on order for a year now. I may never get it. I bought the 338 LM without knowing if I ever would get a different bolt body. You can't verify it either. AI North America won't tell you anything other than to call Mile High or EO. When you do, they say we don't know. Not sure if it is the same in Europe. Maybe the dealers know more there. I was fortunate to get an LH 308 bolt body a couple of months after I purchased the 338 LM. Then I had to wait 4 more months for the new AXSR magazine for 308 since they never built the LH short action magazine adapter for LH customers.

The other comment regarding an SFP bolt body for an LH AXMC is never going to happen. AI has never offered an LH SFP bolt body for the AXMC. Be prepared for troubles when shooting cartridges with small rifle primers with the 308 bolt body. I only shoot 308 or Hornady 140 grain 6.5 Creedmoor with the 308 bolt. Any 6.5 cartridge that uses small rifle primers will crater primers and jam the bolt. People will tell you to bush the bolt and rework the firing pin...well that requires you to bush all of the bolt bodies and then you have a non-AI bolt. If anything happens to the firing pin or shroud, you're screwed because AI has never offered an LH replacement firing pin and shroud as they do for their RH customers.

All I can suggest is that if you purchase an AXMC and a different AXMC LH bolt body becomes available, act QUICKLY.

If I were you, I would focus on the AXSR. Since it is a new model, it appears that all of the bolts are still available in LH. They also come with the SFP. The other option is to buy the AX and only shoot short-action cartridges and build yourself a non-AI long-action rifle in 338 LM.

You have to remember that AI couldn't care less about its LH customers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Nik H. Greatly appreciated and nice to hear from someone with a LH weapon.
I guess I should try to get the AK MK3 then since I am in Europe and hope for the bodies. I tried to send a mail to AI in Europe and a dealer also told me he had to check if it will be possible for the 308 for left handed. Hopefully AI or the dealer get some answer from AI. Or something comes up used, but guess that will never happen in the LH world. As long as I can shoot 308 I will be happy enough.

Reactions: Nik H
Ok. I am still waiting for some answers from AI, but guess they might come. I have from a UK dealer got confirmation that there will be a NEW AXSR next year and they have put me on the list for the new AI Rifle that will replace the AXSR with the 338 LM and 308 WIN for left handed and what would be needed to get everything going and 2 magazines for both cartridges. I will just have to wait and see then. Guess it is better than buying the AXMC and not getting the things I would need to that rifle. I will pick up a scope and the others things needed wail waiting. I will go for the Kahles 525i DLR. I love the 318i I already have on my Tikka.

Ok. I am still waiting for some answers from AI, but guess they might come. I have from a UK dealer got confirmation that there will be a NEW AXSR next year and they have put me on the list for the new AI Rifle that will replace the AXSR with the 338 LM and 308 WIN for left handed and what would be needed to get everything going and 2 magazines for both cartridges. I will just have to wait and see then. Guess it is better than buying the AXMC and not getting the things I would need to that rifle. I will pick up a scope and the others things needed wail waiting. I will go for the Kahles 525i DLR. I love the 318i I already have on my Tikka.
Good luck...I would buy the bolt bodies as soon as they are available.

You will have no issues when shooting 308. I have 308 barrels for both my AT and AXMC. It is a great cartridge.

Great. Have got no answers from AI them self still. But I am now on a list for the new "AXSR" that will come in 2024 and for lefties as well. 338 LM and 308 Win.
At some time it will be my time. Would love to try, but there are none in my parts of Norway that I know of, and there is no shop that sells them in Norway. I will have to trust all the reviews and my gut feeling.

Great. Have got no answers from AI them self still. But I am now on a list for the new "AXSR" that will come in 2024 and for lefties as well. 338 LM and 308 Win.
At some time it will be my time. Would love to try, but there are none in my parts of Norway that I know of, and there is no shop that sells them in Norway. I will have to trust all the reviews and my gut feeling.
You won't be disappointed

I will have to find out some way if the new rifle will take any of the old stuff before just buying a bolt, magazine and so on. But if there is some information (guess not), I will buy anything I can before I get the NEW AXSR.

The OP lives in Europe. I don’t think the AXSR has been released there yet?

It's the AXSR here in the US but the AX Mk3 over in Europe... I see some listings and prices on the websites of a couple dealers in the Netherlands, but nothing is in stock / available.

Doing some more digging it also appears the AXSR and AX Mk3 will have a few differences (safety, keyslot vs mlok forend, metric vs imperial muzzle threads, etc.)

Seems kind of odd for AI to make 2 variants and tie up their production capacity with additional part numbers, but maybe the US and Europe having different customer desires and possibly regulations is the reason for that.

Reactions: Nik H and taliv
I have a one AX Mark3, and I am located in Canada.
Mark 3 was available for only 2 years(20/21) if my memory serves me correctly. Then AI decided to discontinued it. I had been trying to order another one from my local dealer, but never got any lucks.
Hopefully they will bring it back on 24.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 79
I have a one AX Mark3, and I am located in Canada.
Mark 3 was available for only 2 years(20/21) if my memory serves me correctly. Then AI decided to discontinued it. I had been trying to order another one from my local dealer, but never got any lucks.
Hopefully they will bring it back on 24.

At first glance it looks almost identical to an AXSR, but then you notice the cheek rest and butt pad adjustment mechanism is different between the AXSR and the AX Mk3 (clamp bar on AXSR vs what appears to be pushbutton with a notched riser on the AX Mk3), the stocks are machined and styled a bit differently, etc.

Found this explaining the differences...

1702328091987.jpeg

I know some AXSR buyers here in the US might appreciate the normal old very reliable AI trigger and 3 position safety that the AX Mk3 received...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H and Zane777
Thanks for your input.

What kind of mount would you recommend? I have a Spuhr 6moa on my tikka t3. I see that AI opereres with both 20 and 30 moa stock on the top rail. Would like to be able to zero the scope on 100 but still shoot at 1500 - 2000 meters range. I will go for the Kahles 525i DLR.

At first glance it looks almost identical to an AXSR, but then you notice the cheek rest and butt pad adjustment mechanism is different between the AXSR and the AX Mk3 (clamp bar on AXSR vs what appears to be pushbutton with a notched riser on the AX Mk3), the stocks are machined and styled a bit differently, etc.

Found this explaining the differences...

View attachment 8294008

I know some AXSR buyers here in the US might appreciate the normal old very reliable AI trigger and 3 position safety that the AX Mk3 received...
That's a good comparison. I prefer the 2 position safety, it's easier to use and has the best 2 out of 3 settings.

Reactions: taliv
Thanks for your input.

What kind of mount would you recommend? I have a Spuhr 6moa on my tikka t3. I see that AI opereres with both 20 and 30 moa stock on the top rail. Would like to be able to zero the scope on 100 but still shoot at 1500 - 2000 meters range. I will go for the Kahles 525i DLR.
Spuhr 4602 should be good enough for your set up. MK3 comes with 30 MOA rail.

The "new" AXSR has been released in Europe, or the information about it. Seems like it is the AXSR that has been out in USA for a while. I am on the list now, and I think everything will work out just fine. I have already acquired the Kahles 525i DLR and I am just waiting for the confirmation for when I can get my rifle and the rest. The papers for importing it to Norways is also finished. GREAT!

But I am considering to change the 2nd barrel cartridge. I will stick with the 338LM for fun and ELR and as one of my dream cartridges. But I am wondering if I get more out of going for 6,5 CM instead of 308 WIN. 6,5 CM is not very popular in Norway/Scandinavia. 6,5x55 is super popular and cheap if you do not load your ammo by yourself. I will load myself. I think the ballistic of the 6,5 CM suits me more. And it is still enough power to hunt moose. The 308 will work nicely out to 4-500 yards, but then the 6,5 CM will work much better. I can use booth cartridges for the hunting I do, but I can train on longer ranges cheaper and easier with the 6,5 CM when noting going 338 LM. What do you think? And also for hunting capercaillie when they are sitting on the top of the threes when the snow has arrived. And if I would go hunting grouse. Smaller wounds as well I guess.

The "new" AXSR has been released in Europe, or the information about it. Seems like it is the AXSR that has been out in USA for a while. I am on the list now, and I think everything will work out just fine. I have already acquired the Kahles 525i DLR and I am just waiting for the confirmation for when I can get my rifle and the rest. The papers for importing it to Norways is also finished. GREAT!

But I am considering to change the 2nd barrel cartridge. I will stick with the 338LM for fun and ELR and as one of my dream cartridges. But I am wondering if I get more out of going for 6,5 CM instead of 308 WIN. 6,5 CM is not very popular in Norway/Scandinavia. 6,5x55 is super popular and cheap if you do not load your ammo by yourself. I will load myself. I think the ballistic of the 6,5 CM suits me more. And it is still enough power to hunt moose. The 308 will work nicely out to 4-500 yards, but then the 6,5 CM will work much better. I can use booth cartridges for the hunting I do, but I can train on longer ranges cheaper and easier with the 6,5 CM when noting going 338 LM. What do you think? And also for hunting capercaillie when they are sitting on the top of the threes when the snow has arrived. And if I would go hunting grouse. Smaller wounds as well I guess.
I will probably buy my AXSR this summer or sooner. I have an AT and AXMC now both in left hand. I have the following barrels for each

AT - 308, 6.5 Creedmoor
AXMC - 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 338 LM

When I get the AXSR, I will add 6.5 PRC to the list. I have always wanted that caliber but since I am LH, I can't get the correct bolt for the AXMC. I have already purchased all of the bolt bodies for the AXSR before they are no longer available.

@eirikheim if you're planning on loading your own you might as well go with the catridge you want as long as you can routinely acquire the components to load for it.

I have been happy with my AXSR shooting 6.5cr and 300 PRC. It has performed great out to 2200yds. If I draw an elk tag this year I intend to use it for the hunt with my 300 prc loads.
20230630_110337.jpg

Hi,

The AXSR will not be left handed in Europe before maybe 2025 some time, but I can get the AXMC. What will I miss? Is there anything shooting wise that I will benefit with the AXSR over the AXMC?

Hi,

The AXSR will not be left handed in Europe before maybe 2025 some time, but I can get the AXMC. What will I miss? Is there anything shooting wise that I will benefit with the AXSR over the AXMC?
The AXMC is an amazing rifle. The changes that I know of are:
  1. Different grip on the AXMC. Some prefer the AXSR.
  2. Different safety on the AXMC ( on the shroud).
  3. OEM trigger on the AXMC versus the competition trigger on the AXSR which has a lighter pull in both stages and can be adjusted. The OEM trigger is a little heavier and cannot be adjusted for pull weight. The OEM trigger is the best on the market for reliability and consistency IMHO. If you want a lighter trigger on the AXMC, you can buy a competition version and easily install it.
  4. The AXSR has built-in ARCA rails.
What I would confirm before you buy is the availability of left-handed bolt bodies. If they are not available, I would wait as you won't be able to enjoy the multi-caliber capability. I only have 2 of 3 bolt bodies and will likely never get the 3rd.

Seems like I can go for the AXMC then. If I can fix the things you mention if I do not like it.

I would need the bolt for the 338LM and that will be no problem. Buy it with the 27” barrel and 338LM from the store. But I would need the 308 bolt body/6,5 CM. Since I would go 6,5 CM for normal shooting/hunting.

Do you think it will be a problem?

Seems like I can go for the AXMC then. If I can fix the things you mention if I do not like it.

I would need the bolt for the 338LM and that will be no problem. Buy it with the 27” barrel and 338LM from the store. But I would need the 308 bolt body/6,5 CM. Since I would go 6,5 CM for normal shooting/hunting.

Do you think it will be a problem?
I do not know what the availability of left-handed bolt bodies is over there. They are nonexistent here in the US.

The store I am dealing with says that as far they can remember AI never did anything other than 338 LM left handed bolts. No other bolts for AXMC left handed rifles. Strange?? Multi caliber weapon with one bolt available for left handed. Can not be correct??

You are lucky they make anything LH , most donot , see IF Sako make a LH TRG , yeah Naa , also if you using a rifle that is heavy in weight , its more often going to be supported by either a bipod or tripod , as such , why not run it from your Left side , But cycle the bolt with your right hand .The only use of a LH bolt is shooting un-supported in my view .
I am right handed and right eye dominate , but have thought of using a LH bolt , shooting from the LH side , left eye , and using my master hand to cycle bolt , the only down side is 2 fold , un-supported posn & weaker arm ( ie non master ) this is 2 fold the strenght in arm is less , as well as strenght in finger ( trigger ) , faster cycling and no breaking firing posn etc .
So you can over come some of the downsides by , using a sling & a lighter pull weight trigger .

I agree that I am lucky. Just seem strange that the dealer telle me there where not made anything else than 338 LM bolts for the LH AXMC when from what I can read, there is one person who has commented me that says he has a 308 LH bolt for the AXMC. I have my other weapons in LH, would be nice with the same routine. Seems strange to make something at all in LH if it is suppose to be a multi caliber weapon. Either make nothing in LH or at least make some batches with all the bolts.

But at the same time I agree with you. I am left eye dominant, but right hand dominant. When I was a sniper in the any, we only had rh weapons, and still have. And as you say, I will use a bipod almost every time or a tripod. But, still I would like to get LH IF POSSIBLE.

The store I am dealing with says that as far they can remember AI never did anything other than 338 LM left handed bolts. No other bolts for AXMC left handed rifles. Strange?? Multi caliber weapon with one bolt available for left handed. Can not be correct??
Not correct

I have an LH 308 bolt and they produced left handed rifles in 300WM

I wrote that to them, bur they asked me if that is a AXMC bolt. I will wait for their answer when it comes to the 300 WM. Sent them a screenshot of a store selling it in LH 300 WM and have it in stock now. But I guess it might be only sold with the rifles, and that they do not make spare ones

I wrote that to them, bur they asked me if that is a AXMC bolt. I will wait for their answer when it comes to the 300 WM. Sent them a screenshot of a store selling it in LH 300 WM and have it in stock now. But I guess it might be only sold with the rifles, and that they do not make spare ones
Would not surprise me