• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXMC buy now or wait for MK3 + Carbon on AXMC or not

tyfoon

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2020
I'm about to pull the trigger (...) on ordering an AI AXMC but are now faced with choice on getting current model (approx 6 weeks wait, approx 1200$ cheaper) or new model (Would be MK3 as AXSR is not avail in Europe) wait approx 6 month.

Any advice on this? Would anyone know is there is any very significant difference between MK3 and current (beside what is already out for the AXSR)? I like the new grip on MK3 but there is also a conversion for that for the old model.

Second is barrels. Will purchase 3 in one go (6.5CR, 308, 300 NM) when I order the rifle. I can go for factory, Bartlein or Proof Research Carbon (would be approx 300 per barrel more). PRS is non existent where I live. Will be shooting 100meters prone most of time and few times a year 1000M+.

I have read al the stuff on advantage (or limited advantage) of Carbon barrels in general so no need to comment on that, but I'am particular interested in experiences and opinions in combination AI AXMC's

If you mostly shoot 100m prone and rarely at distance (1000m) have you considered saving yourself a tonne of cash, getting an AX short action and just sticking to one caliber? Could keep with the creedmoor, potentially two barrels long / short.

Plenty of good cheapIsh factory stuff which will shoot 1 hole groups at 100m. When you want to stretch it’s legs screw in a long barrel and use some 147gr heavies.

Cheaper rifle, still an AI AX, only run one caliber and master it. Use all that spare cash for accessories, ammo and practice.

Just a thought? If you go the whole hog, good on you. You will have a awesome set up for life.

Reactions: IW21
If you mostly shoot 100m prone and rarely at distance (1000m) have you considered saving yourself a tonne of cash, getting an AX short action and just sticking to one caliber? Could keep with the creedmoor, potentially two barrels long / short.

Plenty of good cheapIsh factory stuff which will shoot 1 hole groups at 100m. When you want to stretch it’s legs screw in a long barrel and use some 147gr heavies.

Cheaper rifle, still an AI AX, only run one caliber and master it. Use all that spare cash for accessories, ammo and practice.

Just a thought? If you go the whole hog, good on you. You will have a awesome set up for life.

Sorry, forgot to mention; I now shoot a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in .308 (which shoots hole in hole @100) but want to add calibers. So either adding other rifles or barrel changes or making the jump to a new MultiCaliber now. After looking at the pro's and cons decided to move to MC platform. Money is not the main consideration.

Reactions: clubsportmark
IMO, a carbon barrel is kind of a waste on an AXMC. Fully dressed out you're talking about a 20lb rifle, ponying up for a carbon barrel will take it down to, what, 17-18lbs? Still not something you're going to pack around, won't shoot any better than the standard barrel, and costs more. But hey, sometimes you wanna ball out.

I think it’s how much you want it and how important the other features are?

AX Mk.3 like you said won’t be in until the new year... at least.

You can eventually retro fit the ARCA rail to the AXMC. What grips do you want? But now less important as the AX can have a AR conversion. Do you care about the new design safety catch or fine with the old style?

Me personally I quite like the idea of the bonded action.... most other things you can retro fit.

All depends how excitable you are, or how patient you are?

I would agree with don’t bother with carbon..... unless you are like me, want to put an AI on a diet and use it as a very OTT stalking rifle too!

Warning. When you have the AI, you won’t shoot the tikka anymore 😉

I think I will sell it. Where I live we are also very restricted in the amount of rifles we can have. A MC rifle only counts as 1 even if I have multiple caliber barrels

Reactions: gnochi
You can eventually retro fit the ARCA rail to the AXMC. What grips do you want? But now less important as the AX can have a AR conversion. Do you care about the new design safety catch or fine with the old style?

I really do not care much about the new safety design. Fine with old design.

Do you think the bonded action makes a lot of difference?

Any opinion on Factory barrels vs Bartlein (cost would be roughly the same)?

p.s. I'm very impatient but I am able -assuming I find the right rational for myself- to wait

Kinda in the same boat myself. I’m between the AXMC and the AXSR. But the more I look at the 2 I just don’t see much reason to pay $2,000+ more for the AXSR. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about the 2 because I just don’t see it.

It’s never value for money.... it’s just what you want. Is the AX worth the £1,500 over the AT just for a different chassis. Probably not..... but will I and others pay for it. Yes.

Across AT, AX and AXSR / MK.111 fundamentally they are all the same awesome bomb proof actions and barrels. The rest is just stuff and nothing will shoot any better than the other variants.

So have a long hard think, what sort of chassis do I want. What grips do I want, what rails, safety catch etc and choose the variant which the feature set bests suits you. Nothing will ever be “worth” that extra money. But when spending that sort of cash on a rifle might as well get want you want first time around and not look back.

The best thing about the AX mkiii for me is the AR grip. However as mentioned previously if that’s what you want you can convert a normal AX. Euro versions will still end up with a normal factory trigger (better) still have the keyslot instead of m-lok (again better).

AI have been bonding their actions for sometime now. They obviously saw fit to do it in the first place. To make it the “worlds best sniper rifle”. However I’m sure the 5 action screws that is in the AXSR certainly does the trick. The AX mk.iii is only really an off shoot of the American solicitation program. I really don’t think it would have existed if wasn’t created for that. So now they spent lots of R&D money creating it, might as well badge it up, Mark it up and sell it on as the next best thing.

Take solace in whatever AI you choose, it will be better than you. Always reassuring once you own one, you know you can blame the shooter and not the equipment when things don’t quite go your way.

Happy shopping.

Take solace in whatever AI you choose, it will be better than you. Always reassuring once you own one, you know you can blame the shooter and not the equipment when things don’t quite go your way.

Spot on! That is exactly what I'm after. I have to learn a lot as a shooter so enough variables to play with. I just want to take the rifle out as a variable hence my questions

what’s your reason to wait? Anything different than what’s stated above?
the simple sense is do not pay for the previous / leaving generation.
from a technical point of view, everything has been described in other threads, nothing to add.

the simple sense is do not pay for the previous / leaving generation.
from a technical point of view, everything has been described in other threads, nothing to add.

The axmc isnt being discontinued according to AI

I'm about to pull the trigger (...) on ordering an AI AXMC but are now faced with choice on getting current model (approx 6 weeks wait, approx 1200$ cheaper) or new model (Would be MK3 as AXSR is not avail in Europe) wait approx 6 month.

Any advice on this? Would anyone know is there is any very significant difference between MK3 and current (beside what is already out for the AXSR)? I like the new grip on MK3 but there is also a conversion for that for the old model.

Second is barrels. Will purchase 3 in one go (6.5CR, 308, 300 NM) when I order the rifle. I can go for factory, Bartlein or Proof Research Carbon (would be approx 300 per barrel more). PRS is non existent where I live. Will be shooting 100meters prone most of time and few times a year 1000M+.

I have read al the stuff on advantage (or limited advantage) of Carbon barrels in general so no need to comment on that, but I'am particular interested in experiences and opinions in combination AI AXMC's

Great deal from a great guy in the PX right now @hic28

Reactions: hic28
If I had to choose at this time, I’d go for the AXMC LE. I’m guessing it’s the AXMC with some of the AXSR furniture, the front mag attachment and handguard. I personally really like the AX buttstock, more over the AXSR version.

still wondering if this furniture will fit my short action AX and if the parts are available

Attachments

• 3B08A95F-30CF-4131-8B10-12E86C6BD009.jpeg
    3B08A95F-30CF-4131-8B10-12E86C6BD009.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 8CEF3759-6650-498F-BBD8-B0BF50A8A550.jpeg
    8CEF3759-6650-498F-BBD8-B0BF50A8A550.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 101
I am currently contemplating the same thing. I do have a chance to get an axmc for a good deal or should I just buy the latest gen AXSR. I have had an AXMC in the past and it was a great rifle, I am not sure if the AXSR is worth the extra cash.

IMO, a carbon barrel is kind of a waste on an AXMC. Fully dressed out you're talking about a 20lb rifle, ponying up for a carbon barrel will take it down to, what, 17-18lbs? Still not something you're going to pack around, won't shoot any better than the standard barrel, and costs more. But hey, sometimes you wanna ball out.
Do you have one? I have an ASR and I have a steel 24 in barrel and a proof carbon 24 inch barrel and I can tell you the 2lbs that saves completely changes the balance of the rifle for the better.

I’d vote AXSR. It’s got all the updates you’d want. Get that an a couple carbon barrels to go with the steel barrel it comes with.

Do you have one? I have an ASR and I have a steel 24 in barrel and a proof carbon 24 inch barrel and I can tell you the 2lbs that saves completely changes the balance of the rifle for the better.

I’d vote AXSR. It’s got all the updates you’d want. Get that an a couple carbon barrels to go with the steel barrel it comes with.

I have an AXMC and no, I don't have a carbon barrel for it. I personally can't justify the substantial upcharge for a lighter weight consumable part for a gun that isn't going to get packed around a lot, carbon barrel or not. And to me, the heft of these monsters is half of what makes them so nice to shoot. Not saying that it's wrong to run the CFW barrels, just saying that it doesn't make sense for me.

If I had to choose at this time, I’d go for the AXMC LE. I’m guessing it’s the AXMC with some of the AXSR furniture, the front mag attachment and handguard. I personally really like the AX buttstock, more over the AXSR version.

still wondering if this furniture will fit my short action AX and if the parts are available

Looks nice! I think the LE was something Milehigh put together. You can't get these here in Europe

I have an AXMC and no, I don't have a carbon barrel for it. I personally can't justify the substantial upcharge for a lighter weight consumable part for a gun that isn't going to get packed around a lot, carbon barrel or not. And to me, the heft of these monsters is half of what makes them so nice to shoot. Not saying that it's wrong to run the CFW barrels, just saying that it doesn't make sense for me.

This is also what I'm leaning towards (or maybe 1 carbon, 1 factory and 1 Bartlein). When not moving around a lot, and shooting prone most of the time, I would also assume that the weight would have a positive contribution to recoil & accuracy. From a cost perspective the extra cost seems limited in my opinion. Difference Bartlein steel vs Proof Carbon would be around 300$ over here. Over the total cost not huge difference

I had both MC in my hands (with Proof Crabon and factory steel) and the balance is indeed totally different (much nicer for the Carbon). For hunting this would be perfect, but would the balance matter so much when shooting long distance prone? Would you not rather have a heavy barrel?

What country are you in ? I have an axmc in 308 and 338lm. Only thing I would like off the axsr is the front rail with inbuilt arca rail, I can achieve that with a Victor company front rail. The axmc is a hammer and wont disappoint. As for carbon barrels , the rifle with scope and bipod comes in at 20lbs so your only going to get it down to roughly mid 18lbs? Is it worth it on a rifle that weighs that much ?