• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOLD AI AXSA/AT 223 Conversion kit with gain twist Bartlein barrel, spares, bore guide

Kiba

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Central CA
Sold 9-9

I'll probably end up regretting this, but I've decided to part with my Gilbert/Enrique/Bugholes AI AT/AXSA 223 conversion kit. Selling because once again I've realized I hate swapping barrels and rezeroing scopes because it seems every time I go shooting I want to shoot the barrel that's not on the rifle at the moment, so rather than swap barrels on my AX back and forth between .223 and 6.5CM I'm selling this to build another dedicated .223.

This was the last .223 bolt head Enrique made before handing off the AI .223 conversion project to Bugholes. Greg at Bugholes chambered the barrel.

Everything is in very good condition.

Includes complete bolt assembly with .223 bolt head and unmodified factory AI small firing pin. Also included are the original large firing pin .308 bolt head, large firing pin, and extractor from the large firing pin donor bolt assembly.

3x modded Accurate magazines are included, the front of the plastic inserts have been opened up for longer cartridge OAL.

Barrel is a Bartlein 7.5-6.8 gain twist 28" marksman contour, chambered in 223AI, muzzle threaded 5/8-24, with 600 rounds fired through it-- first 75 or so were for load development, about 100 at the 600Y range, and the rest were slow fired hunting ground squirrels. I'll include a PVA thread protector which isn't seamless but matches the barrel contour quite well. Barrel is chambered in 223AI and hammers with everything I've thrown at it from 50s to 85s. Freebore on the throat is 0.080".

One word of caution, 223AI requires that you run the bolt like you mean it for reliable feeding. If you try to slow feed it the 40 degree neck/shoulder junction on the case will hang up on the edge of the chamber requiring you to stop, back up the bolt slightly, and then try again. Run the bolt fast and it feeds fine. Enrique warned me about this need for fast feeding with 223AI with this conversion, but I decided to go 223AI anyways because I'm stubborn like that and 223AI cases look cooler than regular 223 cases. When fireforming, I realized that regular 223 cases feed great slow or fast... guess I should have listened to Enrique, LOL. The barrel still has tons of life left in it so you could shorten it and rechamber to regular .223 if you don't want to mess with 223AI.

I'll also include a Mike Lucas 223 bore guide made to fit the AT/AXSA.

Also included are spare parts:
1x prefit spare ejector and spring
1x prefit spare extractor, plunger, and spring
Multiple extractor plungers and springs
2x unfit spare extractors (they only need minor file work to fit, the rears need to be shortened and the nipple needs to be reduced in height)
1x unfit spare ejector and spring (again, only minor file work needed fit.)

I wanted 2x spare ejectors and extractors already fit to the bolt head when I ordered the conversion, but since Enrique was about to hand the project over to Bugholes he was all out of extra ejectors and extractors other than the ones included on the bolt head, so he directed me to Gre-Tan to purchase them as they are very easy to modify to fit. I fit one of each for spares and left the rest unmodified in the packages. Haven't had any problems with the little parts since I've been running it, but it's nice to have them just in case.

Asking $2600 shipped and insured. Payment via discreet Paypal F&F, Zelle, USPS MO, Check (will ship when payment clears.) Sorry, not interested in any trades at the moment.

ax2231.jpg

ax2232.jpg

ax2233.jpg

ax2234.jpg

ax2235.jpg

ax2236.jpg

ax2237.jpg

ax2238.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll take it.

I’ll pm in 20-30 minutes dtiving

Thanks