• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXSR Long Term Thoughts?

Vivacious Stallion

Public Health Authority for the Shadow Gov
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
The Streets of USA
The AXSR's have been out in the wild for more than several years now and I am interested in Hide members thoughts and feelings long term on the platform.

I am looking to purchase an AI AXSR this fall in .300 PRC, now that I live out west where I have access to more ranges and BLM land to throw my steel out on. I've acquired a .308 bolt, a Proof 6.5 barrel and mag so far as I have found them. Just looking for more critical opinions good/bad or any other notable info from users with a significant amount of experience with it before committing to the plunge.

I couldn't find another thread that was in this train of thought and didn't want to slap it in the AI picture thread. Thanks in advance!

It’s an incredibly versatile platform. Having nearly all the AI models, it’s my favorite to shoot. If you plan on buying one, make it sooner than later. Prices creeped up on them, and I suspect they will again in January.

If I were you, I would plan on buying all the bolts and mags. Makes it easier to shoot new calibers later if your shooting situations change.

It’s an incredibly versatile platform. Having nearly all the AI models, it’s my favorite to shoot. If you plan on buying one, make it sooner than later. Prices creeped up on them, and I suspect they will again in January.

If I were you, I would plan on buying all the bolts and mags. Makes it easier to shoot new calibers later if your shooting situations change.
Thanks for the info, I have definitely seen price creep in a number of things this last year. I'd definitely be looking to buy before the holidays.

Does the rifle come with a torque wrench or anything or should I just go find a 40nm wrench for the barrel change?

Thanks for the info, I have definitely seen price creep in a number of things this last year. I'd definitely be looking to buy before the holidays.

Does the rifle come with a torque wrench or anything or should I just go find a 40nm wrench for the barrel change?
Have one in 300 Norma. No torque wrench that comes with rifle. It is a great rifle to have, though. Added the 338 LM barrel, and soon adding a 6gt to it. Just like @SkyScrapin said, can always add other calibers. Can't go wrong with the purchase.

Last edited:
We are not a big AI shop, but that model has a lot of followers, seems solid. If you are looking, I would give it a strong comparison with the Cadex Kraken. We do a lot of Cadex business. The Kraken is a niche product, but holds its own against the AI ASR.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
We are not a big AI shop, but that model has a lot of followers, seems solid. If you are looking, I would give it a strong comparison with the Cadex Kraken. We do a lot of Cadex business. The Kraken is a niche product, but holds its own against the AI ASR.
Thanks for the note. I can definitely say that my Cadex Lite Comp chassis is machined extremely well and talking to several people there was a very good experience.

Availability of barrels is definitely pushing me towards the AI more since Cadex hasn't made their design open source yet (to my knowledge).

The main issue w the Cadex Kraken is barrels, barrels, barrels. No custom chamber support. Cadex won't release the tennon print or do custom chambers. Even offered to send blanks and reamers!

Main reason i went w the AI AXSR. Which has become my favorite LR rifle.

Last edited:
The main issue w the Cadex Kraken is barrels, barrels, barrels. No custom chamber support. Cadex won't release the tennon print or do custom chambers. Even offered to send blanks and reamers!

Which is a big deal for a lot of users, particularly at that price point. It's probably as simple as they don't have the capacity to do one off jobs, but also don't want to let go of their IP, sadly.

Yeah, i shoot a few improved cartridges and or fast twist barrels so Cadex wasn't meant to be! I do use Cadex MX1 brakes tho ;)

Not sure how valid it is. But I consolidated to lapua bolt face and 308 bolt face cartridges. I didn't do a standard Mag bolt yet. I wanted a 300prc, but went 300 norma instead because I already had a 338lapua. Then added the 6.5cm set up.

However if I'm going to shoot short action I'll still grab my ax308 unless I'm taking a friend and need a loaner. Then my AXSR is my loaner.

Reactions: deersniper
Not sure how valid it is. But I consolidated to lapua bolt face and 308 bolt face cartridges. I didn't do a standard Mag bolt yet. I wanted a 300prc, but went 300 norma instead because I already had a 338lapua. Then added the 6.5cm set up.

However if I'm going to shoot short action I'll still grab my ax308 unless I'm taking a friend and need a loaner. Then my AXSR is my loaner.
Good to heard that some people are doing well financially 😂

Haven't seen much 300 norma brass out for sale in a while, but Lapua must've dropped a big lot of 300 prc because it's all over now. It makes alot of sense to go 300 norma when you already have the 338 bolt.

I wish I could say that, but I started saving for the AX50 ELR when it was announced then finally gave up and bought a axsr.

I wish I could say that, but I started saving for the AX50 ELR when it was announced then finally gave up and bought a axsr.
Couldnt hold off to save that extra 3k or just thought twice about it? I'm not ready to join the true ELR money pit anytime soon.

Thats becuase they want to sell you their $1300 barrels that use 1.3" tennons.

The other issue is CS. They are one of if not the worst to deal with. They don't care for civilian sales.

I spent weeks trying to order accessories after buying a $6K gun with no joy. Same issues with AI not being able to get bolts, mag conversions, ect. Sold that fucking thing with zero regrets. I can have a full Impact based rifle to my door and assembled in a week.

No way in hell I would spend that kind of money and not even be able to buy the shit that was the entire reason for buying into the platform.

You can build 2-3 Full custom guns for the cost of one of these plus accessories.

The various AI platforms are about as bombproof as they come, so long term should not be an issue, either in durability or availability of parts.
Tell us you don't actually shoot by telling us that you don't shoot.

AI break just as much and sometimes more than other actions in compeitions. The idea they are bombproof is a myth, just like Nightforce. And both will circle the wagons and blame the user if something goes down on them.

AI break just as much and sometimes more than other actions in compeitions. The idea they are bombproof is a myth, just like Nightforce. And both will circle the wagons and blame the user if something goes down on them.
The reliability of AI's is overblown. AI has gotten mythical reliability status - but that came from the days when "custom" actions were still glorified BR actions that would lock up at the site of debris. Think old school Steel Safari days.

I've seen just as many AI's go down in matches as customs. The precision rifle components being made today are damn good and reliable.

Tell me you're an internet warrior without telling me you're an internet warrior. Anything man made can break. How many of those problematic AI's were tinkered with rather than left stock. I'm sure you can look in your log book and tell us the percentage of breakdowns. Not to discourage anyone from going custom, but I've had more troubles with customs than with my AI rifles.

Couldnt hold off to save that extra 3k or just thought twice about it? I'm not ready to join the true ELR money pit anytime soon.

I got frustrated with the 2 years of "its coming". Then once I bought the AXSR it came out a few months later. O'well that's life. I'll probably end up with the ax50 eventually. But 90% of my shooting is with my ax308.

AI’s are awesome weapons. Some prefer the AXMC to the AXSR but to each their own. You can watch the px to save a few $$ if you’re patient.

As far as AI vs Cadex I’d love to look into Cadex eventually but the proprietary barrel limits you and cuts the used market way down compared to AI which you can find barrels every other day on here

I bought one of the original AI-PSR Kits and I use it. I am on my 3rd 300WM and .338LM barrels and it still shoots great. I also have a AE,AT and AX and have shot out multiple barrels in each one of those. Just put in a new barrel and workup a load then go shoot!!

Having owned both the I prefer the grip, trigger, stock, rrs rail, smaller firing pin and adjustments on the axsr over the axmc. I do prefer the safety on the axmc though.

Having owned both the I prefer the grip, trigger, stock, rrs rail, smaller firing pin and adjustments on the axsr over the axmc. I do prefer the safety on the axmc though.
I do prefer the 3 position safety as well, but I really do no much care for the AXMC style grip from my experience (even tho it is more aesthetically appealing).

AI’s are awesome weapons. Some prefer the AXMC to the AXSR but to each their own. You can watch the px to save a few $$ if you’re patient.

As far as AI vs Cadex I’d love to look into Cadex eventually but the proprietary barrel limits you and cuts the used market way down compared to AI which you can find barrels every other day on here
It looks like I have struck a deal with Mountic on one, who was great to work with.

I really enjoy my Cadex chassis build, but they did make me wait 3 months for a bagrider over not having the screws in stock. Their products I've used are excellent though. They gave me a bunch of swag a while back in exchange to use some of my pictures I put on here.

I do prefer the 3 position safety as well, but I really do no much care for the AXMC style grip from my experience (even tho it is more aesthetically appealing).

So slap a gtac or a samb metal one and you can put whatever queer ar grip you are into on there 🤣...

Jake aka @MOUNTIC is great people can't go wrong there... Hopefully you snagged a tangent theta from him too

Last edited:
  • Haha
So slap a gtac or a samb metal one and you can put whatever queer ar grip you are into on there 🤣...

Jake aka @MOUNTIC is great people can't go wrong there... Hopefully you snagged a tangent theta from him too
I'm gonna disappoint you and slap my poortex Razor gen 2 on top for now until my wallet recovers in a couple months.

• Love
Reactions: Huskydriver
The first rifle out of the safe pretty much every time. Have barrels in 6.5CM, 300WM, 300PRC & 338LM. 90% of the time it's a 300PRC.
It is comfortable to carry and shoot and has become the main hunting rifle when fitted with the 26" proof carbon barrel and can.
AXSR addresses a lot of the 'short falls' of the AXMC with the AR grip (had a GTAC on an AXSA, which is a good option for an AXMC), built in arca, lighter action, simpler / larger safety etc.

Overall, they have done an amazing job on the AXSR, I would absolutely recommend it to anyone with the funds looking to build ONE capable rifle.

AXSR.jpg
loo

The first rifle out of the safe pretty much every time. Have barrels in 6.5CM, 300WM, 300PRC & 338LM. 90% of the time it's a 300PRC.
It is comfortable to carry and shoot and has become the main hunting rifle when fitted with the 26" proof carbon barrel and can.
AXSR addresses a lot of the 'short falls' of the AXMC with the AR grip (had a GTAC on an AXSA, which is a good option for an AXMC), built in arca, lighter action, simpler / larger safety etc.

Overall, they have done an amazing job on the AXSR, I would absolutely recommend it to anyone with the funds looking to build ONE capable rifle.

View attachment 7952614 loo
what does that weigh with the cf barrel?

I can't get over the ugly ass Ergo grip on the ASR. I don't care how comfortable it is. It's ugly as shit. And yes, I know you can change it.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Wait… Did I miss that @Huskydriver has a thumbhole AXMC? Pics please!

I personally think the AXMC butt stock looks way better then the AXSR. Looks like someone copied a baby RPR… 🤮