• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Barrel Change POI Shift and Suppressor POI Shift

AR-180

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2006
The Triangle, NC
71650285168__DD386C33-86C6-4B30-A3E8-942E342B6EC9.jpeg

Today, I went to the range to check the POI shift that occurs when I swap barrels on my AI. I figured I’d also test the POI shift that occurs after attaching my direct thread suppressor.

I set up two targets at 100 yards. On the first is a central POA. On the second, there are numerous POAs.

After attaching a barrel, I check the POI of a five round group. I estimate and record the shift. On the second target, I dial for the shift and take one shot. After attaching the suppressor, I take four more shots.

Target one
IMG_8997.jpeg

Examples from target two.
IMG_8998.jpeg

If I zero the scope and set the zero stop on the highest impacting group, I can use offsets in the Kestrel app with a profile for each barrel to keep track of everything.

I’ve been wanting to run this test for a while, but I waited for a cooler day to help assure I could concentrate through the whole thing. It took a few hours, but these data should really help.

I recently tested barrel swaps on an Impact action. The AI is not the same level of repeatability, but the barrel swaps are much easier.

Reactions: Precision Seeker