• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI barrels interchange??

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I have noticed here lately all the AI barrels being bought an sold. Are all AI barrels (in the same cartridge length) capable of being swapped out to other AI barrels without regard to headspace issues?

I have noticed here lately all the AI barrels being bought an sold. Are all AI barrels (in the same cartridge length) capable of being swapped out to other AI barrels without regard to headspace issues?
Yes, keep in mind that .470 bolt face calibers will interchange, .540 etc. Don't hang a magnum barrel on a .308 and expect it to work. Cartridge length has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: BoldCorrections
There are two different types, though.
M27 threaded for short actions (AT, AX, ATX, AXSA)
M30 threaded for long actions (AXMC and AXSR)

The AXMC and AXSR have 3 different bolt bodies and allow you to go from 6.5cm to 300 winmag to 338 lapua just by changing the bolt, barrel, and magazine. Takes about 2 minutes.

The ASXR replaced the AXMC recently. A post-2014 AXMC shares magazines and barrels with the new AXSR, but bolt bodies are not interchangeable between the two models.

That feature was one of their original claims to fame, and predates the current prefit fad by a couple of decades.

Be aware that a partial thread AE barrel will not work on AX/AT/AW actions. Those full thread barrels will work on the AE's, though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wind up with an AWM, the used an M27 tenon in the magnums also. M30 started with the AXMC I think?