• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI bipod

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    In reading through old posts, it seems there is no way to improve the AI bipod, is that accurate? Mine moves laterally a bit more than I would like, but I see no way to lock that down. I have several Atlas bipods and they feel much more solid up front. That said, I like the AI deployment and I like the mounting, just don't like the "play." Any tricks to tighten it up or just get a new spigot for an Atlas and be done?

Anyone want an AI bipod? I might have one for sale soon.

Actually, no; loading does impede full motion, but there is still significant lateral play. I wish loading took it all out, maybe I need to monkey with it, but when my is loaded it still moves too much.

And no, I am not new to rifles, and am not an idiot. I appreciate that those are usually the first few assumptions - and are, sadly, often the root cause of such issues.

I am.however new to this bipod and not finding a way to remove lateral play.

I remember reading what Zack Smith wrote about it. It seems it's an acquired taste and once you get used to it, it's very effective. But, having never shot one, I'm talking outta my ass.

Hey mate, by lateral movement are you talking about it's ability to Pan/track or is there excessive play in the mounting block that the legs are bolted to and swivel on?

Depending on the age and amount of use, the wear points on the legs swivel block wear down and the amount of play increases.

I don't mind the AI bipods as a robust field setup, it does well for something designed in the 70's/80's.

I got rid of mine as I got sick of the sloppyness and it kept deploying unintentionally on me too.I have an atlas on at the moment ,slower to deploy but a better set up allround imho.

There is a modification or two you can do to the classic style AI bipods, you can get a friction lock for them to reduce the slop/cant in the head of the bipod witch is really helpful feature with this model. And you can get a pair of big rubber feet for them.

The friction lock is sold by sportingservices in the UK.
    Feets is made by AI.

The 2 latest generations of AI bipods i have not tried,the old discontinued AX model, and the recently released one.
    The newest bipod from AI looks interesting though,