• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AI Bottom metal compatibility with Savage Scout 11

4-Co LR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2018
I have a Savage 11 Scout, which has the bolt release in the trigger guard and the proprietary mags. The rifle is a nice “cheap rifle” but the magazines suck and I want to run AI mags which I already have. I know that the newer Savage 110 Scout has a bottom metal that takes AICS mags (but has a lot of other changes too like a completely different stock and action changes). Is there a bottom metal that will fit my rifle and be compatible with the existing stock? I would imagine it’s fairly likely that the stock may need some inletting to make it work, is that correct? Also, would there need to be any alterations to the action to make it work? If so, where would the changes need to be made?

That’s what I was afraid of but didn’t know if it’d work with the bolt release in the trigger guard.

There’s no easy bolt in bottom metal
PTG makes bottom bolt release but it requires some work.
I have a Choat stock and it took a bit of work to get the PTG bottom metal in it but it worked well.

I eventually went to an XLR element chassis with bottom bolt release years ago and still run it.
B56D6824-3E09-4AAB-8249-23965D229A8E.jpeg

How does your XLR Element interface with the bottom bolt release?