• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Chassis and Stiller Actions

2A6Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2022
Dallas, Texas
Hey guys,

I am looking at building a rifle in .338 Lapua rifle and I saw an Accuracy International: 26714 - AX Long Action .338 CIP Chassis for sale at Mile High Shooting.

I was curious if the Stiller TAC338 action would work with this chassis since it mentions a Remington 700 LA footprint.

I emailed Stiller, but no response so far

Any help is appreciated

Thank You

Somewhat dated thread, but if you did not yet get your answer, the Stiller TAC 338.has a 9.165" length with standard Remington LA bolt pattern footprint whereas a garden variety Remington LA action has a 7.350" length. So yes, same bolt pattern (Remington LA), but no, not same overall action length.

As the AI chassis are typically slated specifically either for AI actions or Remington/clone actions, most likely the AI 26714 - AX Long Action .338 CIP Chassis will not accommodate the Stiller TAC 338 action without gunsnith modification. This situation is due to overall action length extending the position of the recoil lug further out than standard positioning with a factory length Remington/clone long action towards the muzzle by the length difference cited above.

Not that you would ever do this, you could actually get the Stiller TAC 338 action to bolt in if you did not include a recoil lug (very bad idea), and it would actually fit in place with the action extending into the barrel channel of the chassis; but this consideration is merely academic.

See the below link and pictures for reference for what had to be done to a similar chassis to make the longer Surgeon 1581 XL action fit into the chassis. So it can be done, but it will need gunsmith intervention, and no, the Surgeon 1581 XL-specific AI 27248 chassis will not fit the Stiller TAC 338 action in place unless additional modifications are done; already checked (said in case you managed to come across one as they are no longer made).

Attachments

• AIAX2.png
    AIAX2.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 22
  • AIAX3.png
    AIAX3.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: