• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI for a Lefty shooter?

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
Hi,
Looking at AT and AX models and it occurred to me I should ask about shooting them Lefty. I’ve never had issue with RH semi or bolt actions but have never even held an AI. Is it necessary for me to find a LH model? Will a LH thumbrest go on a RH rifle?

I believe @Nik H is a lefty. I could be wrong. Maybe he can be of help on what’s available

Take a cruise in the AI pic thread. Lots of info there for everything AI related

Reactions: Nik H
Hi,
Looking at AT and AX models and it occurred to me I should ask about shooting them Lefty. I’ve never had issue with RH semi or bolt actions but have never even held an AI. Is it necessary for me to find a LH model? Will a LH thumbrest go on a RH rifle?
Thanks @hafejd30! I am a lefty.

@clubmanager

When you say "...I should ask about shooting them lefty." What do you mean? Are you shooting a right-handed AI with your left hand or are you asking about obtaining a LH AI? Are you left or right-eye dominant? If you're left-eye dominant, I would get an LH AI. You can shoot an RH bolt gun with your LH but not sure why you want to. You are breaking position to manipulate the bolt since your right hand is no longer controlling the rear bag. You are also exposing the right side of your face to the rifle's gas exhaust which would suck if you had an over-pressure situation.

I have two 2 LH AI rifles. My first purchase was an LH AT and a few years later, I purchased an LH AXMC. Both are fantastic as you would expect. Not sure what thumb rest you are planning to use. The one you usually see are hand-specific. They make different versions for LH and RH shooters.

As of today, you have two choices for LH AIs. The first is the AT and then the AXSR. I do not believe that I have ever seen an LH AX.

Last edited:
Reactions: hafejd30
Thanks @hafejd30! I am a lefty.

@clubmanager

When you say "...I should ask about shooting them lefty." What do you mean? Are you shooting a right-handed AI with your left hand or are you asking about obtaining a LH AI? Are you left or right-eye dominant? If you're left-eye dominant, I would get an LH AI. You can shoot an RH bolt gun with your LH but not sure why you want to. You are breaking position to manipulate the bolt since your right hand is no longer controlling the rear bag. You are also exposing the right side of your face to the rifle's gas exhaust which would suck if you had an over-pressure situation.

I have two 2 LH AI rifles. My first purchase was an LH AT and a few years later, I purchased an LH AXMC. Both are fantastic as you would expect. Not sure what thumb rest you are planning to use. The one you usually see are hand-specific. They make different versions for LH and RH shooters.

As of today, you have two choices for LH AIs. The first is the AT and then the AXSR. I do not believe that I have ever seen an LH AX.
Thank you. I’m left-eye dominant and have exclusively used RH weapons my entire life including the Army. So, I’ve zero experience with a LH rifle it have had no issue with using RH so just assumed I’d be good to go. It then occurred to me that with a platform such as this, it might better serve me to ask before dropping $4-5k.
It looks like a LH AI is all but unobtanium on the used market and even if I found one, I’d guess the premium would be too much unless Eurooptic has one during this AT-X sale?
Edit: I should add that I’m using this rifle on the range and hunting; I’ve no interest in competition at this time. Well….i have interest, just no time until I retire!

Last edited:
Thank you. I’m left-eye dominant and have exclusively used RH weapons my entire life including the Army. So, I’ve zero experience with a LH rifle it have had no issue with using RH so just assumed I’d be good to go. It then occurred to me that with a platform such as this, it might better serve me to ask before dropping $4-5k.
It looks like a LH AI is all but unobtanium on the used market and even if I found one, I’d guess the premium would be too much unless Eurooptic has one during this AT-X sale?
Edit: I should add that I’m using this rifle on the range and hunting; I’ve no interest in competition at this time. Well….i have interest, just no time until I retire!
AT-X doesn't come in LH...AI is not too kind to LH individuals. When you see a LH for sale, you buy it and hope for the best. If the rifle wasn't what it is, I would have found something different.

I would definitely go for an AT over the AT-X...You can always add the AX buttstock later if you feel the need. I never did but I also have an AXMC.

The one remaining question is have you ever fired an AI or handled one? If not, it is something you may want to do as it isn't for everyone.

Good luck with your decision

I reached out to AI; they told me a LH version of the AT-X is coming out in 2024 but wouldn’t commit to a timeframe. My plan now is to sit down and thing this through a bit and either wait, buy a LH rifle either custom or a Tikka, or roll the dice on a RH AI rifle and see how it feels. Worst case; if I play my cards right the worst case is I lose a couple hundred when I sell it.
Thanks for the insight; much appreciate your taking the time.

I reached out to AI; they told me a LH version of the AT-X is coming out in 2024 but wouldn’t commit to a timeframe. My plan now is to sit down and thing this through a bit and either wait, buy a LH rifle either custom or a Tikka, or roll the dice on a RH AI rifle and see how it feels. Worst case; if I play my cards right the worst case is I lose a couple hundred when I sell it.
Thanks for the insight; much appreciate your taking the time.
Plan for 2026

Just saying

EO has a lot of nice-looking LH AXSR....

I have never regretted having a long action AI other than AI won't build me a LH 300 win mag bolt.