• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI in a McMillan or Manners Stock Questions????

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
Long story short!

I used McMillan stocks beginning in 1997. I am very comfortable with them. More so than the AI stock I have bee using for the last 3-4. I have an AI AE MKI. It shoots very well. I can shoot it well too. That is not the issue.

Quite simply, the issue is comfort. I am more comfortable with the McMillan style stock than the AI. I don't want to get rid of the whole package.

What are the disadvantages of putting the AI in a McMillan or Manners? Can it be done? (I know, for the right amount of $ anything can be done)

Thoughts!

Don't blast me too hard! Not bashing AI by any means! Personal preference here!

Re: AI in a McMillan or Manners Stock Questions????

Call Tom at Manners. He will inlet a stock for just about anything. If you prefer a different stock, I see no reason not to.

This is the kind of information I am looking for.

Can the Badger, Seekins, CDI bottom metal work?

This may be more intensive than originally thought!

RAD - Thanks for that link! I see where this is going!
Many suggestions on replacing what I have.
Not what I wanted to do!

I was looking for an easy answer! If there is not one! It is not that huge!

I may just be Crusader envy! (Thanks Drew1312)

You might be better off selling your AI AE and having a custom built on a Badger M2008 and pick the stock you want from there

That's an expensive way to do it, but I suppose if you have the finance to do so. I am not too familiar with the AIAE MkI action, but I know that my AIAWs actions are permanently bonded to the chasis and dropping it into another stock is not going to be an easy task.

Why not just get an Badger M2008 action and build on the Manner, McMillan stock? Just saying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is going to be finding a detachable mag system that is going to work with AI AE action.</div></div>

If inletted correctly is there an issue why AICS mags would not work with an AIAE since they work with the MKII AIAE and I think the bolts are the same.

The action/magazine combo should work. The problem, like RWS mentioned, is the bottom metal. The AE's front screw is in the recoul lug, which probably eliminates anything off the shelf.

I wonder if a smith/machinist could put a hole where it needs to be to work with say, badger bottom metal, in the action and then either add another pillar for the recoil lug and screw or leave it out altogether.

Thoughts? On this. I am not familiar enough with the screw locations vs trigger vs mag/well vs front screw to know! I figured this may have been done. If not, for good reason!

As far as i can see, you really don't need bottom metel but rather a trigger gaurd similar to one that would be found on a single shot bench gun. That is, going by the pics in RAD's post.

Re: AI in a McMillan or Manners Stock Questions???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is going to be finding a detachable mag system that is going to work with AI AE action.</div></div>

If inletted correctly is there an issue why AICS mags would not work with an AIAE since they work with the MKII AIAE and I think the bolts are the same. </div></div>

my mk2 was noticably wider in the mag well then my mk1, so aics mags probably wouldn't work in an unmodified mk1. I would not bother modifing a mk1 for this-- I'd buy a mk2. The mk2s mag well and port in the action is also not exactly the same as a badger/rem setup. I could not get my original morta magazines to lock into place in my mk2 without trimming the mag catch (which I wasn't going to do). If I remember correctly it was too narrow in the port so the magazines more aggressive taper at the feed lips prevented full insertion.

Also, due to the front recoil lug design I think the best choice to mount it will be a custom version of manner mini-chassis. I have no idea which bottom metal would work with this but I'm assuming it would also need to be made specially for the chassis/stock.