• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AI magazines fall out after firing, how do I fix

Heffegrande

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Just bought a 260 rem rifle, its a Tooley custom, with an AI AX chassis, Orion action, and AI 10 round mags. Both mags fall out upon firing the rifle. Inserting the mag is no problem and I cannot
remove them by hand without using the release lever. Mags can have several rounds or just one and either way, magazine falls out after the rifle is fired. Solutions? Thanks!

It sounds like the AI chassis or the AI mags are the problem, I thinking maybe it is the mag release spring on the chassis?

Are you rocking the mag up and forward until it clicks in at the front? AX mags are slightly different in the way they lock in.

Just bought a 260 rem rifle, its a Tooley custom, with an AI AX chassis, Orion action, and AI 10 round mags. Both mags fall out upon firing the rifle. Inserting the mag is no problem and I cannot
remove them by hand without using the release lever. Mags can have several rounds or just one and either way, magazine falls out after the rifle is fired. Solutions? Thanks!

I agree it's probably the mag release spring. Are these AX mags or AICS/AW? Let me know how this progresses.

Ok, had Mile Hi Shooting Acc. check it out. One thought, Mags are the "short" 10 round, double stack type that are AW "style". These may not be a proper fit in the AICS chassis. I exchanged them for two AICS style
mags, one a 10 round and the other a 5 round, not as compact as the 10 round double stack type, but hopefully they will stay in when I shoot with them. Gunsmith thought the AW double stack mags should work in
this rifle but couldn't find a problem and even tried a test shot and the mag stayed in. Only difference was he used a suppressor on my rifle and this was perhaps enough to minimize the shock of the recoil to prevent
the mag from coming out. Gunsmith thought both types of mags, AW and AICS, should work in this mag-well. I did not want to go out all the way to the range and have the AW mags eject out as they did last time so
hopefully this time the AICS mags will stay in. Perhaps I did not have the mags in properly up into the mag-well, but if they are that difficult to get into the well, they may not be user friendly. I have another AICS chassis
system in a Remington 700 model in 7 mm mag, and all three of the mags work well without such issues. All are of the AICS type, I have 2 five rounders and 1 that is a ten round mag. I've never had a mag pop out unless I had not inserted it properly and if I gave the mag a firm tug it would feel wrong or simply come out of the well. But these mags would stay in firmly in the mag-well yet would fall out very decisively every time I fired the weapon.
I'll give an update on the AICS mags and how they function. If the AICS mags don't work, I'll have the gunsmith at Mile Hi check the rifle out again, perhaps it is the mag release spring. Thanks for all the advice.

Aics mag works

Duct tape........or a stronger release spring.

Went out and shot the rifle ( Tooley custom build 260 Remington, with AICS AX chassis) using the AICS 5 round and 10 round mags and had no problems with these mags popping out when fired. I must
say that the AW 10 round double stack mags are much nicer in size as they are shorter than the single stack 10 round AICS mags, and the AW are also easier to feed the rounds into. But as I said initially they
(the AW mags) would not stay in the mag well when fired. So unless someone has another solution, my experience is just use the AICS mags in the AICS AX chassis, and the AW double stack 10 round mags will go into and "lock" in place in the AICS AX chassis but they are not secure enough to stay in place with the shock of the rifle as it's fired.