• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Mags- drilling out the front plate

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
Has anyone drilled out the front plates on their AI mags, and left the holes open? I finally drilled mine out to fit my longer COAL of my 260 rounds. I was right at max mag length of 2.860" with a standard Berger VLD. I'm now running tipped VLD's, which increased my COAL by .007". When I loaded up some mags, they were dragging and catching on the front plate of the AI mag and binding up. I'm not planning on filling in these holes right now, so I was wondering if anyone had issues with the tips of the bullets catching in the open holes during a match or other times. Thanks!

Simple camera phone pic:
AImagpic.jpg

Re: AI Mags- drilling out the front plate

Since you have a lot of room between bullet tip and magazine you may be okay, but I recommend filling them and smoothing out the inside.
If you haven't already drilled all of your mags out you may want to do it another way.
The best way to do it in my opinion is to cut it out from the inside of the magazine. The inside will be left smooth and then there is nothing for your bullet tips to grab hold of. I did 3 of them for my 7-300wsm and they all worked out really well.
Just my .02
Cheers,

That's a good idea. What did you use to cut them out from the inside?

I drilled the holes out, and filed away any sharp edges inside and out. I even bevelled the hole some with the drill bit to help avoid the tips catching.

Also, one benefit to filling in the holes is it substantially reduces the amount of dirt and crap (especially moisture, i.e. shooting in the rain) getting all over your rounds.

It is absolutely prudent to fill in those holes.

That's true, too. And it's supposed to rain this weekend for the Tiger Valley match. I might redneck it, and put some duct tape over the holes for the match!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good idea. What did you use to cut them out from the inside?

I drilled the holes out, and filed away any sharp edges inside and out. I even bevelled the hole some with the drill bit to help avoid the tips catching. </div></div>

I used a mill.
A drill press with some kind of milling bit and a decent vice will get the job done too.

Yes. I plumbed the mag and then cut along the mag wall until I passed the little weld, then turned it over and did the other end. The trick was to keep the magazine level and in place while I did the cutting. A block of some type inside the mag where you clamp down will help to keep from potentially damaging the magazine body.