• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Mk II in a different stock?

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Just thinking out loud.

The AI stock is not for some people (like me) and I was curious if it would be possible to put the Mk II barreled action in say a McMillan or Manners stock?
Has this ever been done?

Seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

Re: AI Mk II in a different stock?

I think the Badger Ordnance M2008 has your name written all over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thinking out loud.

The AI stock is not for some people (like me) and I was curious if it would be possible to put the Mk II barreled action in say a McMillan stock?
Has this ever been done?

Seems like it would be the best of both worlds. </div></div>

That's a very big reason I'm hesitant about purchasing a MK II. I prefer traditional style stocks. McMillan HTG or Manners MCS-T or MCS-T3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the Badger Ordnance M2008 has your name written all over it. </div></div>

More than you know.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got some paint on it.
P1030507.jpg

P1030506.jpg

P1030503.jpg
</div></div>

My problem with this would be the expense of restocking a $3500ish rifle...

What do you do with the old stock?

Well played, sir.

I'm sure the answer is similar to that of my proposed TRG-S project in a new stock......a pain in the ass and costly as hell.

If you have the coin, i'm sure someone will give it a try for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My problem with this would be the expense of restocking a $3500ish rifle...

What do you do with the old stock? </div></div>

It would make a good paper weight.
smile.gif

Price would definitely be a drawback.

An AI AEMKII fitted into a Manners mini chassis in a T4A would be a wet dream come true for me. I'd do it in a heartbeat if money were no object!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you do with the old stock? </div></div>

Keep it for resale, considering how many people can't decide between AI and McM/MCS stocks.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you do with the old stock? </div></div>

Keep it for resale, considering how many people can't decide between AI and McM/MCS stocks..... </div></div>

I doubt it has a useable foot print...

I mean if you were to ever sell the AE you could offer it with both.

I'd donate body parts for a 6.5 MKII in my preference of stock! M2008 may be close, but the AI trigger and sction smoothness are in their own league relatively speaking.

It could be done, your biggest factor is ensuring bottom metal that has the same action screw spacing as the AE, it isn't the same as a Rem style spacing. On the AE, the front action screw is in the recoil lug and the rear in front of the trigger, no problem installing pillars for the AE action screws and installing threaded inserts for the trigger guard/bottom metal screws. You would want to pick up a stock that hasnt been inletted for anything, let a smith go from there.

As far as can it be done? A stock can be inletted for just about anything. I took a Pierce multi-flat action which is designed for the AICS exclusively, took a A5 and inletted it and dropped the Pierce action in.

gun079.jpg

Here are a few pics I took of the AE out of its skin
Picture004.jpg

AE on bottom
Picture006.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It could be done, your biggest factor is </div></div>

-lack of money!!

Nice Pearce!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It could be done, your biggest factor is ensuring bottom metal that has the same action screw spacing as the AE, it isn't the same as a Rem style spacing. On the AE, the front action screw is in the recoil lug and the rear in front of the trigger, no problem installing pillars for the AE action screws and installing threaded inserts for the trigger guard/bottom metal screws. </div></div>

This would mean that the action could be machined with the action screws matching that of a 700 with out making any major mods to anything else, correct?

Is there room behind the trigger for a hole in the tang?

The action could probably be drilled and tapped to match the spacing of an M700.
Ide suggest inletting a stock before doing any kind of machine work on the action itself though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rule #1-modify the most replacable/cheaper part first!</div></div>

Where's the adventure in that!!
laugh.gif

Sounds like you really want a TRG. Traditional, A5 style, stock. Great trigger, 60 degree bolt throw, full length aluminum bedding block, and the same quality and ruggedness as the AE.

Josh