• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AI or Badger Ord one piece mount?

NET65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2009
TX
I need a scope mount for a M110 style long range rifle, which would you choose and why? They are both in the same price range but the AI comes with 28 MOA cant, but the badger attaches with nuts instead of a hex head.

Re: AI or Badger Ord one piece mount?

Does anyone even have one of these, and can comment on likes or dislikes?

Is either of these high enough to provide the clearance you need for an AR-flattop?

If so, I bet either is great. I have a Premier 3-15X50 on my POF P-308. Badger 1.275" rings weren't high enough for the scope bell to clear with the cover on. W/O the cover it would have worked.

My 18moa AI mount ALMOST clears on my AR with a PH 5-25x56mm. It will mount, but it will contact the bell slightly. So a smaller scope (almost everything is) will probably work. If you don't need/want tool-less attachment, why care about hex vs allen?

I didn't even consider objective clearance, I'll be mounting up a NF NXS with a 56mm objective.

For an M110 type why not the KAC mount, other than the huge price. I've used LaRue light mounts, and am going to try their SPR one piece mount, looks prety good.

I like LaRue's stuff I just wish the SPR mount came with some cant built in. I think I'm going to try the AI mount with as tall a ring as they offer.

I'm not sure that you really need the cant. According to my calculator, one can get to 1000 yrds with 13.6 mils using 149gr bullets at a MV of 2640 fps. I guess it depends on your barrel length and the scope's travel. How much travel does the NF have?

I think the NF has 110 MOA total travel. Calling my rifle a m110 style may have been misleading, its configured like a m110 only its chambered in 6.5 grendel, but bullet drop should be pretty close to a 308.

Have used AI mount but gave it away after I got this NEAR Alphamount

TRGScope.jpg

NEAR has the two ring version for the 30mm ( which I prefer ) in a dizzying array of ( 0 , 20 , 28, 37 etc ) slopes

I also run a NF Unimount which is a decent mount as well but I prefer the NEAR over the others . I also run Larues on my ARs but I wouldn't put one on a bolt gun

I have not used a Badger so I can't comment

It was what they had in stock for 34mm w/ 20MOA . Most of the NEAR Alphamounts don't have the two rings up front. The price for the 3 ring vs 2 ring was the same BTW

I would prefer to have one ring in front so I have some latitude on movement of scope in mount. Not always a big deal with Picatinny but this was a problem on my AIAI that has he goofy "picatinny" where not all cross slots are there. On this rail, my Near Alphamount / NF Unimount would only fit in one single location on the rail. No problem if you can slide the scope back and forth in the one piece mount. With the 3 ring you have very little adjustment

Never heard of them, but I'll check them out, I'm going to get rid of my NF MOA scope and pick up one of the new style whenever they come out in Mil/mil.

I'm pretty sure one of LaRue's SPR mount variants has built-in cant (30moa or 20moa, I can't recall). Just call them up.

Will do hawkeye, the larue stuff looks like a stone cold bargain after I saw the price on the Near Alpha stuff.