• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AI scope base w/Hensoldt

prbulldog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Puerto Rico
How much do I need to remove ( tell the machine shop) from my AI scope (28 moa) base to fit a Hensoldt 3-12x56.

Re: AI scope base w/Hensoldt

Just order a 45moa base, don't need to remove anything and you'll get the most from the scope.

Sorry I don't have the dimension of what needs to be removed, I'm guess maybe .15" or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with the 45moa base will I be able to 0 the scope at 100yds?</div></div>

Yes.

jasonk I have a AI 28moa base on my AW with the 4-16x56 and I only have approx 3.5 mils under 0. wouldn't the 45moa put me over 0 by about 3mils? Or am I doing or thinking wrong?

1 mil equals approx to 3 moa.
So a 28 moa mount is approx 8 mils.
45 moa mount is 13 mils.
Going from 28 to 45 is a differance on almost 5 mils, and though you only have 3,5 mils left, you will not be able to zero at 100.

Håkan

Based on the Hensoldt spec sheet for the 4-16x FF, there is not enough up elevation to achieve a 100-yard zero with a 45MOA canted base, assuming 308Win and a 1.75" bore height - you will still need at least 0.5 mils more up elevation. That estimate is based only on the spec (plus/minus 11.2 mils elevation), not an actual test with a scope.

Of course it will work fine on your 22LR with a 45MOA base!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jasonk I have a AI 28moa base on my AW with the 4-16x56 and I only have approx 3.5 mils under 0. wouldn't the 45moa put me over 0 by about 3mils? Or am I doing or thinking wrong?</div></div>

Your original post asked about the 3-12, it has more available elevation. With the 4-16 it can depend on the rifle, I know some guys making it work and some not.

However a certain tilt works or not is also very dependent on the actual gun.
How straight the gun and the rail are, or how crocked it is.

The Swedish Defence forces have over 1000 AIAW in 7,62 with original mounts and Hensoldt 10x42, there is appearantly a number of those guns that have shimsed mounts....

Håkan

I first one i purchased i just used a file took out maybe a .1. You may call eurooptics there mounts are already machined. i have one of their's also it works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jasonk I have a AI 28moa base on my AW with the 4-16x56 and I only have approx 3.5 mils under 0. wouldn't the 45moa put me over 0 by about 3mils? Or am I doing or thinking wrong?</div></div>

Your original post asked about the 3-12, it has more available elevation. With the 4-16 it can depend on the rifle, I know some guys making it work and some not. </div></div>
Oops, my bad for not reading the fine print. The 3-12x FF has plus/minus 15 mils of elevation travel, so it would work with a 45MOA canted base. Thanks for pointing that out, Jason.

It's not much... We have done it with a file before.
blush.gif

The 45moa is definitely the way to go with the 3-12 though.

This is the setup I run on all my personal guns.