• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAE mkII or AIAW

sniper307

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2005
louisiana
Ok, so I made up my mind, I want an AI rifle and not just a Remmy sitting in a chassis. I currently have a couple of KMW rifles, that just plain rock.... Couldnt ask for better..... However, I want an AI just because...I want an AI. Being an LEO, I get a nice discount if I buy new. My debate is, which one to get. The AE or AW. I would appreciate pros and cons from you guys to help me in my decision. I mean, besides the 2000 dollar difference in cost, what can the AW do that the AE cant? Just need some good guidance.

Ryan

Re: AIAE mkII or AIAW

Will you need to change barrels often or jump out of airplanes with your rifle? I think the AIAW has a better safety system too, but I've forgotten the details. Can you get an AE MkII chambered in a cartridge that you want to shoot and with a barrel twist you need? If any of these points really matter, go with the AIAW. Otherwise the AE MkII is the way to go because of the price difference.

I dont forsee any HALO deployments in the next six months or so, so I can safely say I dont think I'll be deploying from the air any time soon. If I understand correctly, both AE and AW come with 1-12 twist, BUT for a hundred bucks or so, you can upgrade to a BARTLEIN 1-10 twist. Caliber wise, I'm just going with .308. Its just to easy to shoot . lol

I have both an AE (MK I however) and an AW. Go with the AE and pump some more $$$ into the glass.

Honestly, if you had no knowledge of the differences in the 2 rifles, and I set them side by side for you to use (Pepsi challenge style), you would not be able to tell a difference between the 2 other than safety manipulation.

I pick my first AI up on Monday. An AW308. I went back and forth between the two, and PM's some respected members on here who owned both, and while they both said the AE was great, if I could afford it get the AW. Well, I coulnd't really afford it, but I ordered one anyways. I actually never even saw one until after I ordered mine, and after shooting it, I'm cool with not affording food for a while.

Glad I'm not in the same boat...

Sniper307, I've been doing this back and worth for awhile...

I have been through 3 AWs, (sold one, and still have two). Must say that the rifles are bomb proof for most conditions. Right now, I am entertaining an AE Mk II in a different caliber. I have the AW and AWSM to play around with the barrel changing. But, I have read that you can do the same thing with the AE Mk II. Unless, you are going to be deployed in hostile and extreme environment, the AE Mk is a more cost saving rifle than the AW rifle. After talking to Stacey, the new AE Mk II is every bit accurate, reliable and sturdy as the AW, with the exceptions of a few minor features. Again, if you want an AW and can afford it, then I would say go with it. Buying the AE Mk II will save a few "pennies" (LOL) that you can use to buy good glass and ammo components for feeding your rifle. JMHO. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been through 3 AWs, (sold one, and still have two). Must say that the rifles are bomb proof for most conditions. Right now, I am entertaining an AE Mk II in a different caliber. I have the AW and AWSM to play around with the barrel changing. But, I have read that you can do the same thing with the AE Mk II. Unless, you are going to be deployed in hostile and extreme environment, the AE Mk is a more cost saving rifle than the AW rifle. After talking to Stacey, the new AE Mk II is every bit accurate, reliable and sturdy as the AW, with the exceptions of a few minor features. Again, if you want an AW and can afford it, then I would say go with it. Buying the AE Mk II will save a few "pennies" (LOL) that you can use to buy good glass and ammo components for feeding your rifle. JMHO. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either. </div></div>

This is sage advice.

Just picked up my second AI MKII. I shoot with a bunch of guys that only shoot AW's and I do just as good with my AE as they do with the AW. I think the major factors have already been mentioned. If you want the extra durability get the AW. Otherwise the AE will suite you fine.
Jonathan from SRT Supply (also his hide name for PM's) has treated me well in my purchases. Highly recommend him and SRT.

You mentioned the upgrade barrel. Be aware that depending on who you get it from may not stock that particular upgrade model.

You will be happy with either AW or Ae because Accuracy International is the way to go.I have both AW and AE MKII and they shoot with the same excellent accuracy.One advantage the Aw has,other than the rock solid action, is the 10 round mag not much longer than the 5 round mag the Ae uses.The internal dimensions on the Aw mag is a bit more than the Ae without taking the plate out of the ae mag.BOTH rifles can have the barrels removed and installed in the convinience of your garage if you have the action tool,a good barrel vise,torque wrench and go,no-go gauges.good luck making a decision.
heres a pic of my Ae MKII 24" 308/SB 3-12x50 pmII-thanks to Euro Optic!
IMAG0297.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper307</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I made up my mind, I want an AI rifle and not just a Remmy sitting in a chassis. I currently have a couple of KMW rifles, that just plain rock.... Couldnt ask for better..... However, I want an AI just because...I want an AI. Being an LEO, I get a nice discount if I buy new. My debate is, which one to get. The AE or AW. I would appreciate pros and cons from you guys to help me in my decision. I mean, besides the 2000 dollar difference in cost, what can the AW do that the AE cant? Just need some good guidance.
Ryan </div></div>

I was in your position. After speaking with those in the know, AW and AE owners, I went with the AE MkII. I really couldn't find anything to cause me to go with the AW.

Take a look at my review on the AE.

http://www.8541tactical.com/AIAEMk2%20article.php

When you get ready to buy, Jonathan at SRT Supply would be my suggestion.

My buddy just got a surgeon dropped in an AICS stock. I was finally able to hold one and get behind it (without shooting it unfortunately). I really liked the stock.

I wish they offered the 24" AE with a threaded barrel so I could throw a brake on there. You'll have to let us know what you go with. There's a ton of info on the AE vs. AW differences on here. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish they offered the 24" AE with a threaded barrel so I could throw a brake on there. </div></div>
Why not just have your gunsmith thread it for you? It really doesn't cost that much.

As far as as accuracy my AE MK1 is a .3 or less MOA rifle with my ammo and .5-.75 MOA with factory match ammo.Yesterday while doing load development on 190gr Bergers and n550 i shot a .155 5 shot group @200 and a .5 MOA group @ 400.there is a but to this,my rifle shoots the cold bore shot aprox. .1 mil low.the group at 400 measured .5 MOA overall with the cold bore 1.42" below the 3 shots that followed that measured .116 3 rounds touching @ 400.Off the AI bi-pod prone.I'll keep my Ae and wouldnt trade it for an AW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Merc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of discount are you talking about? </div></div>

That would be between you and the dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish they offered the 24" AE with a threaded barrel so I could throw a brake on there. </div></div>
Why not just have your gunsmith thread it for you? It really doesn't cost that much. </div></div>

I'm thinking about that, thanks!

This subject has come up more than once. Buy the AE, unless you are like me- I like knowing I have the best of the best, and the extra money was worth it to me to know I won't be selling the AE at a loss later on to buy an AW. I really am glad I did it.

If you aren't the kinda guy that it is going to bother you to "compromise," then buying the AE isn't really a compromise at all.

Oh, and if you have AW money, you should think about an AX.

AE if it means you can still afford to put either a S&B or Nightforce on it. If you have to give a scope of that pedigree up for the AW then that's a trade not worth making. I'd rather have the better glass too if it makes the difference between a folder or fixed stock. Don't know about the US but in the UK AI will make the barrel to any twist you want and threaded if so desired.

i have nice glass waiting so that is not the issue. really wish i could just compare the two side by side, but no one local seems to have one or the other.

then i thought, hmmmm maybe i can just build on a Badger action and put it in a AICS 2.0. but, it aint the same. lol. decisions, decisions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AE if it means you can still afford to put either a S&B or Nightforce on it. If you have to give a scope of that pedigree up for the AW then that's a trade not worth making. I'd rather have the better glass too if it makes the difference between a folder or fixed stock. Don't know about the US but in the UK AI will make the barrel to any twist you want and threaded if so desired. </div></div>

AI and S&B go together like fish and chips!!!!!!!!!

My vote - AE MKII. Either choice you will be very happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper307</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have nice glass waiting so that is not the issue. really wish i could just compare the two side by side, but no one local seems to have one or the other. </div></div>
Come out to Houston on the weekend and compare mine at the range..