• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AIAE - muzzle brake or not???

GR460

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
South Central Louisiana
I am ready to order my AIAE, and was wondering if anyone had advice on the pros or cons of the muzzle brake. I have never owned a rifle with a muzzle brake. Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: AIAE - muzzle brake or not???

Pros:
Less recoil

Cons:
Greater perceived noise
The people on either side of you will hate you.

My honest opinions:
1. A brake on a 308 is for fat vaginas (unless you have an injury that requires it, are a woman, or a small child)
2. If you are in the proper shooting position, you should be able to spot hits.
3. I have no clue where you are located (fill out your profile)
4. Save and get a suppressor if it is legal where you live. It reduces recoil and, better yet, sound.

Josh

I have an AE. It came 24" plain barrel and I had a muzzle brake installed on it last month after a year of shooting it without. In my personal opinion, it is a huge improvement. I can spot my shots and follow up much quicker now than I could before.

Forget all that manly-super-stud bullshit about not needing a brake. If you shoot matches or use your gun for social purposes, there isn't always enough time to get into that perfect position and getting back on target quickly is important.

I would have it threaded and a cap put on it, then down the road you are set up for a break or a can. As stated above they are loud as hell but even the light recoil of the 308 is reduced to a 223 witch is nice to shoot.

Josh

If you are talking about the A.I. muzzle brake, there are no significant "cons" for the shooter.
Recoil is less, assisting you in spotting your own strikes and making instant corrections on follow up shots.
Your barrel is threaded for possible suppressor use.
It does add a nominal amount of weight to the muzzle and changes the balancing point slightly.
It may create more noise for those next to you (but less than the Badger Thruster, IMHO).
Not essential but I prefer it for the reasons stated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My honest opinions:
1. A brake on a 308 is for fat vaginas (unless you have an injury that requires it, are a woman, or a small child)
</div></div>I respectfully disagree. While a brake is definitely not required on a .308, especially not one as heavy as an AI, it is not about "being a man" so much as being a better shooter. Having any aid at all that allows me to practice longer (more rounds) before developing a flinch, with no downside other than perhaps being a bit louder for people down the line, is a no brainer for me. The final upside is that when ordering with a brake you will be ready for a suppressor later on as the muzzle is already threaded.

Given- minordamage is definitely a more experienced shooter than I and I mean him no disrespect, just sharing my own experiences for the last 2000 rounds or so.

Bob (bm11),

It's all good. He would be better served with a suppressor...if it is legal for him to own one. It's all about different strokes for different folks. That's why I put out objective observations before the subjective ones.

As you stated, a rifle with the heft of an AI (or a TRG in my case) should have no trouble staying right in line with the target through recoil. I've personally seen some shooters be more afraid of rifles with brakes than without because of all the crap coming up off the ground (not an issue from the bench as much) and subsequent concussive blast.

Last bit of honest advice for the OP. Get the rifle first and fire the damn thing. Figure out what you need from there. The only brake on any one of my rifles is on my SPR replica because the specs call for it. Having shot a couple of the big magnums, I definitely see the merits. If you happen to be in a free state, get the suppressor. It's the best of all worlds.

ETA: Louisiana is definitely a free state. Get the suppressor.

Josh

I put a muzzle brake on my Browning hunting rifle (in 308), primarily to reduce muzzle FLIP. It helped a lot. I used a Holland which has no ports on the bottom. Didn't change point of aim or accuracy that I can tell.

I have another 308 (Rem 700 with AICS stock) and intend to get a muzzle brake, or suppressor for it. Again, mostly to reduce muzzle flip.

I like them, though they aren't necessary. If you reduce recoil you will tire less and be a better shooter. Seeing your hit is good too. Makes you more confident, thus better shooter. Muzzle brakes don't make the rifle shoot better, they make the SHOOTER shoot better.

From what I hear, silencers are even BETTER.

Order the rifle with the muzzle break and then if you don't want it, take it off and put a cap on it, or use the break till you get a suppressor, either way ordering the AI with the break already on it gives you more options easier later on.

You might want to look into this a little. I think that ordering a muzzle break on a AE may limit you to the 20" barrel. I don't believe it is an option on the 24". That may be a factor for the OP as well. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing that on one of the vendors sites.

I have a RAD Rapid brake on my AE MK I but the barrel was already threaded by the previous owner. It came from a suppressor friendly state and I just didn't like the thread protector.

It does help with perceived recoil but I agree if you are behind the rifle correctly you don't need it, and it will piss off the neighbors. (sometimes that's a good thing
whistle.gif
)

Just my .02

I put a brake on everything. Aside from the advantages stated earlier, the biggest reason is that it protects the muzzle and crown.

I am not hard on my gear, persay, but I have been known to whack the shit out of it while moving, running, slinging, etc.

I use Badger FTEs so I can easily switch between suppressor, brake or thread protector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob (bm11),

It's all good. He would be better served with a suppressor...if it is legal for him to own one. </div></div>Totally agree. One of the reasons I recommended it is this- the brake isn't a super expensive option. However, later on if he wants a suppressor, he will have to have it threaded if he chooses not to take the brake now (I don't believe muzzle threading to be a stand alone option.) By the time he ships the rifle both ways to a good smith to do the threading, plus pay for the threading work, he could have had the brake 2-3x over.

Personally, I think they definitely have their benefits, but on an AE they're not a mandatory item - leave it up to personal preference. Recoil is not, in my opinion, an issue with an AE or AW. My 24" AE shoots just fine without a brake, and getting a barrel threaded and a brake installed is a relatively inexpensive and straightforward process. The main benefit is in making it easier to stay on target through recoil, and the main drawback is the noise and blast. Both tend to be inversely related, so it's a question of just how much recoil reduction you need, and how much blast you can live with.

IMO, the difference between the 20" AE with muzzle brake, and the 24" without is relatively minor either way. With that said, if I were to pick an ideal all-round AE, it would be a 20" folder with muzzle brake.

I have a TRG 22 that I don't use a muzzle break on. However, when I went shooting with a bunch a guys from here(the Hide) they all had muzzle breaks on their rifles. I was the lone guy without one. So, I asked why they all had muzzle break on their rifles and they said it makes it easier to call their shots and follow up. I asked why not use a suppressor and they replied for competitions the suppressor would get to hot. I am going to try shooting my TRG 22 with a break tomorrow.

Jamie