• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAT extraction issue

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
hi all, can't seem to be able to do a chamber check or extraction of an unfired round with My AT rifle (410 rounds fired). If the round is fired, no problem at all it extract it everytime. Any of you having the same issue or solution?

let me know.

Yes sir, closing the bolt to grab a round from the mag. Doing chamber check after and not extracting the round at all...

Factory AI barrel 308 win 1/12, 20".

Lapua brass only fired in this chamber twice, neck sized.

Thanks to all for chipping in.

Still, missing details. Bolt is stiff to unlock, bolt unlocks easy to the extractor cam then stops, or bolt unlocks, passes the extractor cam, but cant be pulled to the rear? Factory ammo or handloads?

edited: Just read a post i missed. Ditch the neck sizing in favor of FL sizing if you would like your rifle to function reliably.

Last edited:
Yes sir, closing the bolt to grab a round from the mag. Doing chamber check after and not extracting the round at all...

Factory AI barrel 308 win 1/12, 20".

Lapua brass only fired in this chamber twice, neck sized.

Thanks to all for chipping in.

Have you tried full length sized brass? Sometimes neck sized brass can get tough to extract from a chamber. Generally it's tougher to extract after firing not before though.

I had a similar problem with failure to extract unfired rounds. If I were you I'd send it to Mile High. I did so, they said it looked fine but would replace the extractor "as a courtesy", it has worked like a champ ever since,

I did tried with the full sized brass and snap caps.

will only extract if I pull the trigger. Did tried with the snap caps.

interesting...

maybe Mr. Irwin could chip in?

After talking with Mile High and AI England, looks like my extractor is out of tolerances and also has a potential problem with the heat treat.

Hope all will go well with AI England warranty.

It's now in the hands of AI England. I found that the extractor is moving .010-.015" fwd and aft in the bolt body. If in the fwd position, there is no problem at all. If in the aft position, it's a no go...

I'm the only one with this issue?

Interesting, i had the same thing happen this morning with my AX. Closed the bolt on a live round, then went to extract it but it wouldn't (tried it multiple times), fired the round and the brass extracted fine. Tried to replicate it with a full mag, but i would only happen (repeatedly) on a few rounds, others would extract first try.

EDIT: 15' AXMC308 factory 20" barrel, fired less than 100 rounds. Full Lenght resized, once fired Lapua Brass.

Last edited:
Hi all, just got my bolt back this week from our canadian AI distributor. They changed the extractor and spring free of charge. The extractor had a bend in it so it was not in the good location on the bolt head. Tried it with 50 round today and the new extractor is working flawlessly.

might of been a heat treating issue with the old extractor.

Before it failed 100% of the time, it was doing it once in a while....

any other of you with this issue?

Your right @Canunk1977, with the extractor rearward my AX fails to extract 100% of the time. I also have a lot of forward/rearward movement in my extractor.
Glad to hear your AT is back up and running the way its supposed to...

Your right @Canunk1977, with the extractor rearward my AX fails to extract 100% of the time. I also have a lot of forward/rearward movement in my extractor.
Glad to hear your AT is back up and running the way its supposed to...

Hey brother. You gonna end up keeping your AI?