• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aiat help

afv338

anthony
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
pa
gentlemen need help on a aiat 308, one of my team members just received a aiat i have only owned one a older 338 arctic warfare didnt have it very long as i dont really care for their stocks as i prefer mcmillian but i do have a surgen remendy 338 in aci stock so i do have experience in shooting one. heres what he has and the ammo we shoot. actar 5x25 spur mount, aiat 308, and we shoot 168 gr hornaday tap. the gun has about 350 rds through it and was purchased new from mile high. he is having trouble getting consistent groups with it as we have all shot it with the same problem. i might shoot a good 3 rd group then it will throw one a in to 1x2in out. cant figure it out for sure. yesterday i took the scope off checked all the screws torqued them cleaned it and the same problem. ant help would be greatly appreciated let me add we do know how to shoot i have a gap and i shoot consistant 5 rd half in groups all day with lots better.

dont know the twist rate on the barrel i will call him and we shoot only issue ammo which is the tap all we are allowed to use. the problem with the gun with all of us shooting it is when it throws one its a good one it has shot some good groups. yesterday i cleaned it good and used some butchs bore paste as i was thinking the barrel hasnt settled down yet but i have had custom barrels that never had this problem. the lot of ammo we are using right now does shoot good in our other guns and dosnt have this problem.

Try another barrel. Make sure that the twist is correct for the bullet you are using. Out of the 20 or so guns I have had, I have had 2 barrels that just wouldn't shoot no matter what I did. I just replaced both and moved on.

168 TAP can be hit or miss with certain barrels, my AX doesn't like 168 as much as 155 and 175
Check the barrel twist to be sure.

I'd suggest getting a box or two of some really good 155gr and 175gr and taking it to the range along with the 168 you use and slowly / carefully shoot 5x5 groups with each of them in turn and see what it does.

You may need a new barrel, which on the AIAT is no problem at all.

the first group i shot with the rifle yesterday the first round if i poked it with a pencil could not have been better the second rd 1n and half low to the right 3 rd back to the first 4th back to the second. this made me think something was loose and i checked it. almost temped to first send the scope to be checked.

this gun was bought for him new at mile high they mounted the scope and it was bought as a package deal if it keeps it up maybe they can check the gun if it was mine thats where it would go i have bought things from them and they are good people to deal with.

i do have a good lot of fgmm 168 gr i can try it to see what it does good idea but we are limited to tap ammo.

You really should call Adam at Mile High before asking here. He knows a ton about AI's and has seen most any issue they might have. Mine had an issue that he never saw before (about 8 years ago), and just saw another like it a few months ago. Easy fix.

Did you try the scope on another gun to test it? My AI shoots 168 very well, but seems to shoot 175 even better. 1:12 twist is standard on the AI barrels.

yes he just called me and its 1 in 12 20 in and yes i was thinking of switching the scope but thats a pain in the ass as you know i think ca

im thinking calling mile high is his best bet as i will tell him that

You really should call Adam at Mile High before asking here. He knows a ton about AI's and has seen most any issue they might have. Mine had an issue that he never saw before (about 8 years ago), and just saw another like it a few months ago. Easy fix.

Did you try the scope on another gun to test it? My AI shoots 168 very well, but seems to shoot 175 even better. 1:12 twist is standard on the AI barrels.
What was the issue?

A NF in a spuhr is about as easy to swap a scope as exists, and should not even need re zero'ing if you just want to test the precision of each system. If you need or want to rezero or test tracking, 3 shots is usually all it takes. Easy as pie with top equipment.

What was the issue?
The muzzle break I was using. Gun shot lights out with a bare barrel. Lights out with a can. Lights out with many different brakes, but not the one I originally wanted to use. Adam and I were at a loss, as neither of us had seen this before, and it took a little while to figure out it was the brake. In hindsight, simple diagnosis, but at the time, not as simple.

this is true i dont have spuhr on my rifle and my stock doesnt have adjustable cheek. the spuhr on his gun looks to be super high plus the pit on the gun looks half in high it was set up like that for pvs22's we have. if i put it on my gun dont think i could shoot a group to save my ass. scope looks like its 4 to 5 in off the bore

he got a thunder beast ultra 7 with the gun we have only shot it with the can we are going to try it without i forgot to mention that but i just talked with him again and he is going to call adam on monday. thanks as always guys for the help.

I have a non fired demo ax that I am having a hard time getting to group. It has a NF atacr with NF rings and Sandstorm can. The can and scope came off my gap so I don't think they are the problem. It could be shooter induced but, I bought another barrel to see if that is the problem. It does shoot noticeably better with 168 fgmm over the 168 TAP

If it is a factory gun and barrel, AI keeps a test target from each gun. I would contact AI North America.

My AI AT likes the FGMM 168 gr SMK.

Something else you should check if you haven't already is the barrel cinch screw. Make sure it's torqued to 49 in-lb. If it was less than that I would loosen the screw a turn, back off the barrel a couple turns, then tighten the barrel back on and torque the cinch screw back down.