• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW 338 barrel question

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I need to rebarrel my AIAW 338LM and was looking for a little input from Hide members that have been down this road already.I was wandering if I should buy a replacement factory barrel from an AI vendor on the Hide or have it rebarreled by Gap. I have read on other threads that Gap has rebarreled many members AI rifles. Do you think that a chamber job by Gap would have tighter tollerances than the factory barrel? Which route would you choose ,or did choose, and why?
Thank in advance
DS

Re: AIAW 338 barrel question

The AI factory barrels shoot pretty incredible, why not keep with a factory barrel? GAP also does good work, just don't cheap out on the barrel that you have GAP spin up. I don't think you'll really notice a "tolerance" difference, but you could spec a different chamber with a custom barrel vs. factory.

-Sean

Ai doesnt offer a 9.5 twist barrel. If your happy shooting a 11 or 10 just get a factory barrel.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ai doesnt offer a 9.5 twist barrel. If your happy shooting a 11 or 10 just get a factory barrel.

Rich</div></div>

That would be incorrect. There are 1/9.375 barrels out now.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Rich

One other point, sorry for the shameless plug, you could specify a Bartlein/Tooley

Unless you're going to shoot subsonics you don't need the 9.3 twist. 1-10 and even 1-11 will shoot 300's fine.