• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW and S & B Scope question

Blackcloud

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2007
In the clock tower
Just got my first AIAW,,,,, and its sweet. I've owned numerous full customs over the years but always wanted an AIAW. The lond wait is over thank god!

The gun is equipped with the picatinny rail and I did order a 1 piece base for the scope. However, I got the wrong base. I ordered the 28MOA base and got the 45 MOA.

My question is this. I have a Schmidt Bender 5-25 double turn in Mil, will I be able to zero that scope on the 45 MOA rail? Or should I just fire it back now.

Thanks

Re: AIAW and S & B Scope question

Is this a 308 or 338LM?

If it is a 308 I think 45moa with a DT S&B would be over kill.
I don't see why you could not zero at 100 with it.
But I will leave that to the experts.

The rifle is a 308. I already had the scope laying around from a gun I sold so I want to use it. The 45 MOA base has to be way overkill but I have to be able to zero the gun @100M.

As it appears I may have trouble getting shallower base ASAP, I'm asking for the experts to chime in if it will zero. If not I won't waste my time playing with it.

Thanks!

The 5-25 is supposed to be designed with 45MOA cant mount. Not sure how it will work on 308 AW because I've never tried it.

I just put a 5-25 on a 30 MOA Sako mount for a TRG-22 (308). My 100m zero is at 4mrad (40). I'm wanting to get it changed out to a 45 MOA base so it might zero properly (give max adj range).

We have a 5-25 on a 45 MOA Sako mount (TRG-42) that zeros perfectly. 100m zero is on "0," you get the entire erector adjustment range. It only took 3 shots to sight it in right out of the box.

I might have an extra 28MOA AI one piece 1913 rail in new condition we can do a straight swap.

i was also wondering about that..as it was told to me the 45 moa base was made for the s@b 5-25 scope..but the flipside to that is that the scope was designed for the .338lm...

Thanks guys.

I'll give it a run this weekend and see what happens. I have the scope laying here so I would like to use it. If it doesn't work I guess I'll change the base, scope or both.

If no one comes along with an answer I can swap the 5-25 scope riding on 45MOA onto a 308 and fire a few shots next week to verify.

Come on guys. The difference in drop at 100 yards between a 308Win and a 338LM is less than 1 MOA/0.4 mr. Of course it will work.

As to whether you should send it back, do you want to use any another scope on your AIAW? If so, then you might be better served with the 28 MOA rail because it will work with some other scopes (those that have about 50 or more MOA of total elevation travel, assuming a properly centered erector). The 45 MOA rail would require at least 80 MOA of total elevation travel, and fewer scopes can do that. Premier is one, and potentially some NF, USO and Leupold scopes. (Numbers corrected on 5/22.)

Can someone confirm, I think with the locking turret cap removed, the 5-25 has 300 total clicks (thus 30 mil total travel). This would be just over 100 moa. Mine turns 25 mil with locking double turn cap in place thus about 84 moa.

Total internal travel is not necessarily the same as that shown by the elevation dial. The S&B website says the 5-25x PMII has a "100 minute adjustment range", whatever that means. Nevertheless, it's at least enough for a 100-yard zero with a 45MOA rail.

PS I was wrong about needing 95 MOA (math error), it's only 80 MOA total elevation travel with a 45 MOA rail and a 308Win zeroed at 100 yard.

Example: You have an S&B 5-25x PMII with 100 MOA of total internal elevation travel and are using a 28 MOA rail with a 308Win rifle. If you zero at 100 yards, you will have approximately 73 MOA of up elevation (and 27 MOA of down elevation) for shooting to long range. If you use a 45 MOA rail, then you will have about 90 MOA of up elevation (and 10 MOA of down elevation) available. Of course, elevation dial stop will limit the down elevation travel.

I shoot my SB 5-25x on a 45 MOA base on an AI. The 45 MOA base with 308/SB 5-25x will be fine. Likely, you will zero at 100Y between 7-9 MILS from the bottom of your scope's travel. You will have more than enough for 1200Y's worth of elevation for the 308.

Oh-- and I don't know this personally, but I have been told that you have to hog out the bottom of a 28MOA mount for a 5-25 to fit. You probably don't want to go that route.

Thanks for the input guys.

Got it all set up, scope mounted and leveled.

Headed to the range tomorrow to zero.

I'll post results when its up and running. Based on above I don't anticipate a problem.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot my SB 5-25x on a 45 MOA base on an AI. The 45 MOA base with 308/SB 5-25x will be fine. Likely, you will zero at 100Y between 7-9 MILS from the bottom of your scope's travel. You will have more than enough for 1200Y's worth of elevation for the 308.

Oh-- and I don't know this personally, but I have been told that you have to hog out the bottom of a 28MOA mount for a 5-25 to fit. You probably don't want to go that route. </div></div>

Well as per above post, the gun zeroed out just fine. (Now I'm happy).

Ran 45.5 gr Varget/Lapua brass/210M and 155 Lapua @ 2.850. @ 200m it shot like crap (5 shot group), ran 46gr also, even worse. When I got home I checked max OAL with the 155 again. I was out the first time so it was way to far off the lands.

175SMK over 45.3 varget with above components shot dime size 5 shot groups at 200M @ 2700fps w/ ES of 11 over 15 rounds.

I have a bunch of 155 Lapua laying around so I'm going to play with those.

Thanks to all who responded, very happy with the new rifle.

Congrats, seems yours is a tack driver then..
wink.gif

Guess I better drag my camera to the range tomorrow.

So, since I have the attention of a few AIAW owners, the trigger is great but a touch heavier than I'm use to. How does one adjust and what is the lowest weight AI recommends tunning to?

Thanks

At the range yesterday. It was so windy the target stands were bouncing up and down a bit in the butts (not enough counterweight).

Shooting at 200m yesterday and had .8mil of left wind dialed just to keep on target. Great day though.

A few pics from yesterday as requested.

_DSC00300001.jpg

_DSC00280001.jpg
_DSC00340001.jpg

Nice Homage, the classic, "sniper of the past" set up"... you know they have invented this thing called a bipod. Might help get rid of some of that vertical you have by giving you a consistent platform to shoot off of.

Rucks are the field "expedient" platform, used when time and opportunity does not present itself to properly deploy a "better" support for the front of the rifle. Not to mention the original M40A1 didn't have a way to attach a bipod, which is why you saw guys shooting off the ruck.

It's 2009... we have better stuff now, I would recommend using some of it.

Oh, you do have an AW with 45 MOA base! Very nice, looks like wind didn't affect your shooting that much after all - is that group shot at 200 meter? In that case, impressive enough if you ask me!
wink.gif

AIAW is an awesome rifle!!! I have one as well with a nightforce scope. Shoots like no other (that I own at least...) Have fun with her!