• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AIAW Barrels without sending the rifle in

Re: AIAW Barrels without sending the rifle in

Ken Porter, here locally, can help you out with that...you buying an AI???

As you already stated we do them, But I will warn you that they are not all the same. Weve done about 150 to 200 barreles for AI Rifles and about 95% have worked great 5-6 that I can think of the HS of the customers reciever was out of AI's own spec so I would only warn you if you want 100 % Pefrect Headspace its best to send your rifle and not have a barrel just made to the spec as you might just have one of those 5% rifles.

Irony – I called GA Precision today & was told by one of your employees almost the exact same thing. I kind of questioned this due to the fact that I had you cut a barrel for me a couple of years ago & it has worked famously ever since…. Now with close to 7000 rounds down the tube it is getting close to needing replaced.

Wow!: this is very ironic. George, your explanation is very timely as a few of us were scratching our heads after TBass' call to your shop.

How does AI get it to head space correctly every single time? Or do they?

T-Bass if your first barrel we did for you headspaced/worked well then we can always do more as yours is obvoisly in Spec. AI (AW) has a HSpace Spec they are all suposed to be the same, and most are. Like I said only about 6 out of 150 or so have ever been different and those rifles had to be sent to us so we could measure the rifles actual headspace. Once we have that # we can forever duplicate it for that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does AI get it to head space correctly every single time? Or do they?</div></div>

They machine the recievers/bolts/breeching rings so that the distance from the bolt face to the front of the reciever. and the breechface of the barrel to the breeching ring are all the same dimentions +- .0005 That way if we thread / chamber the barrel to their dimentions they will always fit.

This is the case almost all the time. Like I said only a few have been differnet but since their have been a few I always like to point that out, incase there is an issue. the ones that have been off have been a few thousands off.

Not to jump in on the thread, but is this possible with Surgeon actions?