• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW Barrels?

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
What is the best length to get for the .308 AIAW? Do they have the velocity of a Rock (insert name here) for a given length?

They are SS Border Barrels - right?

Thoughts on the 1:12 twist with 175 SMKs?

TIA

Re: AIAW Barrels?

I just purchased one with a plain 24". I'm Still waiting for it but the barrels they use are custom so it shouldn't lack anything. The 175's will work.

I got the 20" I love this barrel length alot more portable.. I wish I new if the AW came with the border or Archer? I asked tacpro and all they new was that my barrel came from Scottland?

If anyone knows how to tell the difference between the two speak up!!

Just curious, how much are barrel for the AW these days ? I was hoping on getting a 243. I wonder how much one of the smith's such as GAP would charge to cut one (for that matter I wonder if I even have to send the rifle in ? )

Get it from GAP alot cheaper by far!!! You could easilly get two barrels from GAP for one from AI.

Mo_Zam_Beek,

If you are ordering a barrel only and not just choosing the barrel option on a new gun, I strongly suggest you call GA Precision and have them make exactly what you need. AI barrels are nice and work great but the selection is limited and you may need to pull the barrel and have it threaded for a can anyway.

I just came in from installing a GAP 27" Bartlein #7, Heavy Fluted and threaded 5/8x24 6.5x47 Lapua barrel on a friend's AI AW.

Darin

fkw7xt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the 20" I love this barrel length alot more portable.. I wish I new if the AW came with the border or Archer? I asked tacpro and all they new was that my barrel came from Scottland?

If anyone knows how to tell the difference between the two speak up!!

</div></div>

From what I read previously, Border barrels are single point cut rifled. Archer barrels are button rifled. I believe they are made by the same manufacturer and the Border barrels are a bit more expensive.

All AIAW have either a Border or Archer barrel.
All AIAEs have Lothar Walther barrels.

What I am really asking is - if a guy was looking at getting an AIAW - what barrel do they want? Second, how do the velocities and performance with 175s in the stock barrel with a 1:12 vs. something that you could get from GAP?

Any place on the web to see some published velocities on the various lengths with some factory match?

TIA

Mo_Zam_Beek,

I recently bought a new AIAW and ordered it with the 20" plain barrel and sent the barrel to GAP to have them add an FTE brake. Much cheaper to have GAP add the FTE and it is much more effective than the single chamber AI AW brake. Also, the FTE is threaded 5/8x24, making it compatible with most US made suppressors.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but I bought this gun for inventory and felt that was the configuration most of my customers would prefer.

Senna.bra,

It was $820 or $830. The fluting and threaded muzzle w/thread protector added $305 if I remember correctly.

Darin

PadronAniversary,

No, GAP has all of the dimensions threading and chambering so the action isn't needed. The receivers are VERY consistent.

Darin

I have had all the AIAW barrels different lengths, and shot everything through them. I really liked the 20 inch fluted. 800 yards is a stretch for this barrel. 1000 yards is not gonna happen. the 26 inch was better----but at the 1000 yard range there are much better calibers out there. my 20 inch liked 175 gr black hills, 26 inch liked 185 gr lapua... the 20 inch for me was a sexy gun, easily folded and thrown in the truck, easy. advice??? if you shoot mainly 700 yards or less, no brainer get the 20 inch. BTW traded my covert AIAW back to bill at tac pro, just signed the class III to transfer back to them last week. Now that's a sexy 308 that all folds up nice and sweet into its' own samsonite suitcase. also have a new AIAW 300 winmag i'd be willing to part with--- with ALL bells and whistles, dark earth skins, 20 rounds down the tube. hope that was helpful....

I'm running a fluted 20" barrel on my AI AWP, mainly because I run a can and it keeps the OAL of the weapon manageable. It's a shooter and I can hit with it out to a 1K, but it's easier with a longer barrel. When I burn this one out, I'm going to get a GAP barrel in 6.5X47L.

It doesn't matter what caliber, twist, length or contour you want we usually have bbls on hand and I do AI barrels about every other week so just give us a call if you would like to discuss options.

Darn, I can't believe my 20" barrels can't make it to 1000 yards, I have no clue what i am going to do now as I was counting on it.

We'll back to the drawing board, I suppose it's back to 26" barrels for everyone.

i might be close to being right, but im pretty sure that LL was being sarcastic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i might be close to being right, but im pretty sure that LL was being sarcastic</div></div>

btw I'm j/k:
- Dont give up on the 20" & go longer, you have it all wrong. Not longer, but shorter. Cut it back to 18"
wink.gif

Here is "Lowlight's" video/clip for your viewing pleasure
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" 1/10 308 shooting factory Cor Bon 175gr ammo, 78ft above sea level.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darn, I can't believe my 20" barrels can't make it to 1000 yards, I have no clue what i am going to do now as I was counting on it.

We'll back to the drawing board, I suppose it's back to 26" barrels for everyone. </div></div>

No shit I am opening my safe now and telling my 20" AW right now that it is stupid. It didnt know that it could not shoot to 1K. All this time I was hitting at 1K no problem. I guess I will move my targets back to 800 and order a 26" barrel.. THIS SUCKS!!! I guess all my buddies 20" rifles are stupid also!!

Can GAP do an AIAW barrel without having the gun at their location? I want to get a custom contour, but Im not ready to part with the gun at this point.

It would be great if I could just order and them wait it out.

I have the barrel change kit for the AW...

Thanks in advance,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts on the 1:12 twist with 175 SMKs?</div></div>My AE 24" 12-twist shot JLK 175VLD's so well that I tried the 180VLD's: no problem; a 1200yard .308, except in the dead of winter when temps limit me to 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can GAP do an AIAW barrel without having the gun at their location? I want to get a custom contour, but Im not ready to part with the gun at this point.

It would be great if I could just order and them wait it out.

I have the barrel change kit for the AW...

Thanks in advance,

John </div></div>

Yes just call them up and order.

Does the AI barrel change kit have some specialty tools in it? OR is it something that could be done in a well equiped garage?

For the people doing barrel changes on the AI, did you buy the barrel change kit and the AI go/no gauges? I am going to need to remove my barrel so I can send it out to get it profiled for the suppressor I am buying and kind of got sticker shock on the price of the kit and gauges. I also plan on getting another barrel in a different caliber later and will need the barrel change kit and gauges for that.

Are the AI brand go/no gauges any different than other quality gauges? I have found someone who makes AI action wrenches and after pricing out all the components, there is substantial price differences. The AI gauges are ~$365 a piece but I have found some gauges manufactured by Forster for ~$50-75ish. Just wondering what others have done for AI barrel changes. Any brand recommedations are appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i might be close to being right, but im pretty sure that LL was being sarcastic </div></div>

Hah! I knew he was also.. I just figured if I posted that then someone else would go to the trouble of posting the video instead of me... and it worked
smile.gif

Ive heard you can get by with just a Go Gauge...
to turn a GO into a NO-GO, put a peice of scotch tape on the head of the guage and trim around the edge.

Who did you find making action wrenches?

I've changed them on the Aw, but can you do the same with the AE rifles?

Just wondering what my options would be for a short action in another caliber.

Thanks,

john~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've changed them on the Aw, but can you do the same with the AE rifles?

Just wondering what my options would be for a short action in another caliber.

Thanks,

john~ </div></div>

I'm 99% sure you can*. I'm almost positive that LL has an AI AE rebarreled in .243.

*with relative ease for a smith.....as damn near everything is possible with enough $$$$$$$$$.

this?
Are the AI brand go/no gauges any different than other quality gauges? I have found someone who makes AI action wrenches and after pricing out all the components, there is substantial price differences. The AI gauges are ~$365 a piece but I have found some gauges manufactured by Forster for ~$50-75ish. Just wondering what others have done for AI barrel changes. Any brand recommedations are appreciated.

Where can someone find the ai action wrenches without going to ai themselves? They are very expensive through the company.

An AE barrel swap is stupid easy. You just have to remove it from the chassis (simple) and screw the tubes off/on. The only thing different from a AW is the remove from chassis part.

You can get an action wrench from Jason. You might be able to talk GAP into making you one too. And guages from anywhere (a 308 chamber is a 308 chamber) unless you have some wierd chamber cut. A cheap torque wrench will be fine. A barrel vise can be had from lots of sources as well.

Action wrench.
Torque wrench.
Barrel Vise.
Go/No Go.
Done.

The AI go and no-go gages have dimensional inspection data sheet provided, thus the high cost. Commercial gages seem to be as good. I can provide dimensional data of AI relative to commercial if needed. Thunder Beast Arms makes an action wrench for the AI that costs $250 and is well made. Sears has an American made 150 ft-lb torque wrench on sale for $79.00 plus tax. AI .338 Lapua requires 100 ft-lb. Then you just need a barrel vise and bench for mounting it. I have ordered 1:10 barrel for .338 Lapua from Borders and will sell 1:11 if 1:10 works out okay. Next purchase will be custom barrel to shoot GS Custom high ballistic coefficient alloy bullets. Borders claims British sniper made 2700 yard kill with .338 Lapua and one of their barrels.