• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AIAW Battle sights

wiganbear

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Wigan, England
Hi, I'm new to this site so be kind to me with my first post.

I own a AW in 7.62 and have been looking at the emergancy battle sights as my club runs the odd iron sight comps. Any body used them or even better post a pic with them in place.

Cheers

Re: AIAW Battle sights

You pretty much answered your own question with your wording

Emergency: i.e. this option is a last-ditch effort to keep the rifle reasonably functional and capable of engaging an enemy in an combat situation.

Battle sight: i.e. you can engage a human-sized target at practical range with a reasonable probability of a hit on target

Typically these back-up sights are build to survive the trauma that your scope did not. And usually that means that fine precision and adjustment is sacrificed.

I can't honestly say i've ever seen them on anything but the G22 or some older L96's. If you want to try it, go for it. Just remember, you'll be turning a precision rifle into a battle rifle. It's not going to be a Palma rifle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G22_ohne_Schalldaempfer.jpg

Sounds like you would be suited with a modular setup as seen here. (the iron sights, not the rifle)

Never used AI BUIS but PointBlank has a point that they most likely wont be 'match' irons.

FWIW, I occasionally shoot my E-backups on my TRG just for laughs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You pretty much answered your own question with your wording

Emergency: i.e. this option is a last-ditch effort to keep the rifle reasonably functional and capable of engaging an enemy in an combat situation.

Battle sight: i.e. you can engage a human-sized target at practical range with a reasonable probability of a hit on target

Typically these back-up sights are build to survive the trauma that your scope did not. And usually that means that fine precision and adjustment is sacrificed.

I can't honestly say i've ever seen them on anything but the G22 or some older L96's. If you want to try it, go for it. Just remember, you'll be turning a precision rifle into a battle rifle. It's not going to be a Palma rifle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G22_ohne_Schalldaempfer.jpg

</div></div>

The competition is for military rifles with original sight configeration. My main interest is McQueens sniper and tactical comps the iron sights are just so I can shoot in other comps as and when I fancy shooting

Again, I think the sights would not be as user friendly as those on an Enfield, Mauser, 1903, etc. Plus, you have all that added bulk of the AI. But if it qualifies, and it's what you want to do......go for it.

If it were me, I would try to find something like a surplus Swedish Mauser for a good price and run that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I'm new to this site so be kind to me with my first post.

I own a AW in 7.62 and have been looking at the emergancy battle sights as my club runs the odd iron sight comps. Any body used them or even better post a pic with them in place.

Cheers </div></div>
These should work.
http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/accessories.asp

I did try trg iron sights and they were ok. I also have been planning some irons so i could shoot some other comps as well. Just havent found any good for Remington 700.