• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AIAW, How to change bolt knob?

KiwiShtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Advance, MO.
Hi All.
I have an AI AW 300wm. Im looking into a different bolt knob for it. Does anyone know how the stock knob is attatched and how practical it is to change them without to much machine work to it?
Cheers.

Re: AIAW, How to change bolt knob?

Theres no problem removing the factory bolt knob its just threaded in. Wrap it with a cloth and tighten it in a lathe chuck or even a vise and it should screw straight off. Most of the bolt knobs out there have 5/16x24 which is not the same as your accuracy intl. The way to get around it is if you get a 5/16x24 screw and using a lathe drill the correct size hole and tap the centre of the screw to fit your accuraccy intl bolt handle. (Cant remember the exact size I think M6 could be wrong) Now you have a threaded bushing that will allow an aftermarket knob, screw on your new bush onto your handle and cut it to the correct length for your knob.Thats what Ive done a few times.

I have not removed one, but know it's threaded and glued in place. You may need a bit of heat to remove it.

Awesome info guys. Thats exactly what Im after. Ill give that a go when I get back.
Cheers.

Like Mendocino said they are glued with something, so you MAY ruin the factory knobs threads getting it off. Just scrape off any glue that remains on the threads of the bolt handle. As far as aftermarket knobs, I have NEVER understood paying $60+ for something that you can get through McMaster-Carr for less than a quarter that price. You can get them in rubber, plastic, aluminum, stainless, hell even brass if you want to. and they work great on every rifle I have tried. Once again McMaster-Carr is your friend.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#knobs/=76uz0h