• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW reloading - how tight is she ?

padronanniversary

Sergeant
Minuteman
I thought I would put this question out since many of you seem to have AIAW in some fashion.

How tight is the chamber ? My understanding is that it is built to shoot pretty much anything that the military hands out.

That being said, would it be considered a match chamber in a sense ?

With previous customs that I had I could get away with just neck sizing and getting close to 20 reloads out of lapua, bumping the shoulder back every 4-5 firings and trimming. I'm wondering in a 308 if I should FL size the brass (not the FL vs neck debate) for the AIAW ??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: AIAW reloading - how tight is she ?

The chamber is 7.62 and not a tight match chamber. If I tried to go the other way from AI to some .308 I have to use a small base die first, then bump the shoulder. I keep cases fired in the AI separate, Lapua cases I have about 20 firings doing a Lee collet die, followed by a Forster bump die for the shoulder .001, annealing after 5 firings. I did have one case head come off after about 20 firings so I retired the lot.

7.62 and .308 chamber are slightly different. An AI is good to good with any safe load. Don't worry never had any problems, an I run them hot, except cases shot in the AI need to be resized to fit some .308 especially match chambers.

See http://carnival.saysuncle.com/002453.html link

.62x51mm NATO minimum cartridge headspace 1.630"
.308 Winchester minimum cartridge headspace 1.627"

7.62x51mm NATO maximum cartridge headspace 1.633"
.308 Winchester maximum cartridge headspace 1.633"

7.62x51mm NATO average cartridge headspace 1.6315"
.308 Winchester average cartridge headspace 1.630"

If you'll note the maximum for both cartridges is the same - 1.633". The minimum varies by .003” & the average by .0015".

So the 308 runs higher in pressure then if I am reading this correctly. is it like a 5.56 vs 223 but the other way around ? or is it just for the metrics
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I would put this question out since many of you seem to have AIAW in some fashion.

How tight is the chamber ? My understanding is that it is built to shoot pretty much anything that the military hands out.

That being said, would it be considered a match chamber in a sense ?

With previous customs that I had I could get away with just neck sizing and getting close to 20 reloads out of lapua, bumping the shoulder back every 4-5 firings and trimming. I'm wondering in a 308 if I should FL size the brass (not the FL vs neck debate) for the AIAW ??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

</div></div>

Well, my AIAW shoots very well. Call it what you want, but end result is what I look for. FWIW, I only neck size my brass. It's damn accurate. I stopped counting the reloading times after 15x with my Lapua brass.

Full length size, but just bump the shoulder .001. Run a bushing that gives you .002 neck tension and you should be set.