• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW ring questions

Re: AIAW ring questions

Don't have the USO scope on my AIs. The picatiny rail has no cant FWIW. Also, I use the AI mounts for both of my rifles.

the factory pic rail has no cant,but is really an adapter that is slid over factory dovetail bonded w/adhesive and screwed down to boot. i am suprised some one doesnt offer one w/slope for the people who have factory dovetail only and want the advantages of picatinny. i run / have runboth the factory mount w/ sn3 canadian (28 moa) and s&b w/badgers. i canget out to 1k with both

thanks much for that info. I want to try to get this configured right with the AW. Just trying to list out all my options and get it speced right from the get go.

I was debating if I should just go S&b, but decided with the USO and Premier here, just can't justify another scope purchase.

thanks

Is this for a rifle you already own or are planning?

If planning, I'd recommend you go with the dovetail and single piece AI mount. On my AW .308 I use the 28' mounts with an S&B 3-12x50 PMII. The rings are 34mm.

On the 2007 Price List I have there are the following entries;

3436 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (28')
3108 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (18')-USE ON .338
5656 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (45'')-USE ON .338 DOUBLE TURN SCOPE

All these are still listed on the AI site:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/accessories_list.php#3

The rings can be reduced using inserts.

This is for a new order. hmm, so I can get inserts. That is interesting. I was told by someone that they now offer the single piece mount in a 30mm as well.

So you guys are not having any issues getting out to 1k with this configuration ? Anyone know what the largest bell this will clear ? Just wondering if I can go up to 56mm in case I pick up that new Premier.

On my AW .308 using single piece 28' mount with PMII 3-12x50 Double Turn turret 1000yds is no problem. I'm using a 26" barrel.

There is a dovetail mount 30mm 28' single piece mount shown on the Accessory page I provided the link for above, No Pic rail option for this though....unless the webpage needs updating already!

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">If you go for inserts, I think you'd better find some elsewhere as, unless I've missed seeing them, they are not on AI's list of accessories.</span>

I believe if you go with the 1 piece AI mount and a Premier you will need to have the mount machined to clear the large center section of the scope.

I ordered my AW with the dovetail and AI mount. The only reason I was given that you might want to choose the rail is if you like to mount things like levels or angle indicators.

Sorry....correction! Yes AI do do them...they are on the page I gave you the link to.

They do 34mm to 30mm reducers and also 34mm to 26mm (1")

Must need to get my glasses changed! ;-))

I ordered my AW with the rail. My AWSM doesnt have the rail. If I would order it again I would order it without the rail. The dovetail is fine with there mount..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert, that is good to know that the picatinny rails have no can't at all. Their one piece base seems to come in two can't options. hmmm...

Dert, which scope are you using on your AI ? </div></div>

Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on both of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered my AW with the rail. My AWSM doesnt have the rail. If I would order it again I would order it without the rail. The dovetail is fine with there mount.. </div></div>

The AI dovetail is very sturdy and reliable. I wanted to get that for my AIAWSM, but wasn't available at that time (longer wait, which I didn't want). Went with the pic rail. No regret whatsoever. Agree that would be nice to have some cants on the rail, but the AI mounts have various degree of canting to accomodate to your liking.

One caution about the dovetail mount. You have to use AI proprietary dovetail mounts. Otherwise, you may not be able to mount your scopes. I am not aware of any aftermarket AI dovetail mount out there. The beauty of the AI dovetail mount is its simplicity and follow the KISS principle, which I like very much.