• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AIAW scope mounting options

Sleeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Central, TX
I have an AIAW in .308 that came with the factory picitinny rail. Meaning no elevation in the base. I have seen bases made by U.S. Optics that have elevation built into them 20 MOA I believe. First, how difficult is it to remove the factory base? Secondly will the U.S.O base just install on the dove tail? Thanks for the input.

Re: AIAW scope mounting options

I was afraid of that
frown.gif
I have the AI mount for 34mm tube and two Primers, to bad they don't fit. Now WTF?

Contact mile high shooting center, they modified my ai mount for a premier and did a refinish for a reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AIAW in .308 that came with the factory picitinny rail. Meaning no elevation in the base. I have seen bases made by U.S. Optics that have elevation built into them 20 MOA I believe. First, how difficult is it to remove the factory base? Secondly will the U.S.O base just install on the dove tail? Thanks for the input. </div></div>

What AI don't know what they're doin'???
crazy.gif

When you try to replace that nasty ol Border barrel for a kewl new cuztom barrel, send it this way, will ya.
wink.gif

No, AI knows what their doing. They are making a system that must have their $200 mounts to make it work. LVMIKE thanks for the suggestion.

Most anything worth a damn is going to run you that much....and probably more.

Really, I guess Seekins rings suck? Thats what I would like to run. Thanks Anchor I will check that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, I guess Seekins rings suck? Thats what I would like to run. Thanks Anchor I will check that. </div></div>

Naw, Seekins is good stuff. I just prefer a little cant for my scope...silly me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, I guess Seekins rings suck? Thats what I would like to run. Thanks Anchor I will check that. </div></div>

Naw, Seekins is good stuff. I just prefer a little cant for my scope...silly me. </div></div>

Thats the point, I was looking for cant without AI mounts.

I must be missing the issue here but I will try to address some of what I see:
1. 1st off the AI dovetail mount which is machined directly on the top of the receiver is flat 0 cant for obvious reasons.
2. The Picatinny rail which is pinned, screwed and epoxied to the receiver is not a simple "removable" it must be basically machined off, again all these are flat as well/0 cant.
3. The AI scope mounting system consist of a flat base, either dovetail or Pic rail standardly, and the cant is applied in the scope mount itself by offering the end user the following options:
-30mm/18moa Pic
-30mm/28moa dovetail
-34mm/18moa dovetail and Pic
-34mm/28moa dovetail and Pic
-34mm/45moa dovetail and pic
-30mm reduction rings for any of the 34mm mounts so you can utilize them if desired.
4. Why would do we offer the flat base and canted scope mounts, for several reason:
-less parts, lower cost
-how many options to offer 20moa, 30moa and 40moa? now you have x3 different rail now double that due to short vs long action requirements.
-BIGGY here, they are permanently attached, so we would have to build them to order, of course someone will order the 20moa setup, now the customer wants a 30moa so you cannot sell the rifle but yet order another one. This way, one base, multiple scope mounts, all can be accommodated simply said.
5. The AI scope mounting solutions are listed at $188 range for any of the Picatinny mounts from the 18, 28 and 45moa range. The Dovetail mounts are $128 range for any of the 18, 28 and 45moa range. Comparing these options and pricing, you will see that we are offering them very reasonably priced in direct comparison to your other options.
6. For the larger center gearbox optics with the double turn systems such as the S&B and Premier, you can either take full advantage of the system by using the 45moa bases, or you can elect to take the 18 or 28moa base and have it machined to accommodate the extra required clearance of .030" - 0.060".

Best wishes, I hope this helps and as always, if you have qustions, need assistance PM, email or call me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, I guess Seekins rings suck? Thats what I would like to run. Thanks Anchor I will check that. </div></div>

Naw, Seekins is good stuff. I just prefer a little cant for my scope...silly me. </div></div>

Thats the point, I was looking for cant without AI mounts. </div></div>

Check with NEAR ( www.nearmfg.com ) . He will have 30mm / 34mm one piece mounts "Alpha Mount" with 0 , 20 , 28 , 45 etc

Here is a 20MOA mount. No the scope it not touching barrel...just looks like that

aiaesb2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be missing the issue here....
</div></div>

You're not the only one.

If the AI part doesn't fit your Premier...why not just get the AI mount (with required cant) machined to fit as suggested by beenjammin , or buy a single piece mount from DTA, or get the mount that Premier recommend for use with their scope or go to someone like Badger or Seekins and get some pic-fitting rings?

I missing something too...

Go down the street to the local maching shop and have the base you already own altered.

Why are you so attached to your seekins? These other suggestions for the DTA, and Near accomplish nothing the AI can't and cost more. Better yet sell the seekins, machine what you have, and put money in your pocket!

Yeah the Near setup is $325.00, DTA's are $208.00, and NF Uni-Mount is $250.00 so again where is the issue with pricing???

The Badger Ordnance will not work for him either, it goes onto the dovetail, which is already occupied by the AI Pic rail and the BO model is flat as well, so no reasoning on that option either.

I have the 28moa mount that was machined and refinished for my Hensoldt it came out cheaper than the other options. On Stacey's advice I got the 45 MOA mount for the PRH and couldn't be happier. I'll probably switch to 45 MOA mounts for all my scopes as there is no machining required and you can take full advantage of scopes internal elevation. I had no problem getting a 100 yard zero and now have 28 mils of up elevation. The AI mounts are top notch and they are made for the AI rifles. Get the 45 MOA mount and be happy.

I use the 45 MOA mount on all my guns and it clears just fine.

The 28 moa is really close to clearing. I know some guys that have hit them with a file and covered the bare metal with paint.

This option may be a little less than ideal, but it can save some headache.

Stacy, I don't really have an issue with pricing or the AI mount. The issue that I didn't want to mention is that I purchased this from an AI dealer. I told them what scope I had they sold me the mount. The scope will not fit. Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware that AI made a mount compatible with Premier. Thanks for the clarification.

Im attached to seekins because I have four rifles and two scopes I would prefer not to take them out of the rings to switch guns. All my other rifles have canted bases. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I missing something too...

Go down the street to the local maching shop and have the base you already own altered.

Why are you so attached to your seekins? These other suggestions for the DTA, and Near accomplish nothing the AI can't and cost more. Better yet sell the seekins, machine what you have, and put money in your pocket!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
The Badger Ordnance will not work for him either, it goes onto the dovetail, which is already occupied by the AI Pic rail and the BO model is flat as well, so no reasoning on that option either.</div></div>

While I do believe the AI has it covered on mounting options, the AR riser rail attaches to a pic rail (has nothing to do with the dovetail) to elevate it with cant. I have never done it, so if the slots match where the bolts pass through to tighten it down it should work with standard rings. Of course if the scope has the clearance in the front at the barrel. This is just an option not necessarily a fix.

RosesALMSJakeCatsDillonKMWDPMS095.jpg

Sleeper, no issue, that is what I am here for, so if and when customers have a "technical" question, I am your main source. I am working with all three of our distributors, training and assisting daily with questions from our/their customer. They as well are all undergoing a learning experience with all the new optics and products, so I ask you bear with them. Any further assistance, I am here to help.

Just got me some of the Barrett ex rings that have either 15 or 40 moa. Look really well built and priced comparable to the DTA single mount. I put mine on the DTA BTW.