• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX and "Keymod" vs "Keyslot"

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
I had purchased a few KEYMOD accessories to go on my AIAX Chassis (Circa 2013) and found that they do not fit without turning down the mounting hardware a bit.

After doing some homework & contacting AI USA it turns out there are 2 slight variations between Noveske KEYMOD and AI KEYSLOT.

I'm unsure what new model rifles/chassis may be KEYMOD compatable, but AX chassis more than a year old or so don't seem to be compatable without some handyman skills.

Just a service announcement...
Chime in if you have any experience or relevant comments on the matter.

I had the same problem. I wanted to put Noveske keymod sling attachment points on my rifle to get rid of the need to have the cheese grader rail to mount my sling. I also wanted a shorter pic rail for my bipod. No dice.

I think the short answer is that they are indeed slightly different. Bizarre actually, since KeyMod is a standard (standardized) and is open source (free for anyone to copy/use). Not sure what AI sees in a slightly different version that they have the patent on, other than forcing sales of their (or licensed) manufactured accessories. It would seem counter productive to have two standards, one of which is proprietary and the other an open standard.

6.5 Grendel, .300 Whisper and .20 Tactical come to mind, of failures to force a proprietary solution onto the market...hence the popularity of the 6.8SPC and the introduction of the .300 AAC and .204 Ruger.

Just saying...

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
So the open standard, KeyMod came later? I guess that would explain the difference (to avoid patent disputes). Got it now...

That's the way I understand it. The guy that developed it, who now works for BCM, explained it as such and explained the differences and "why" on m4c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mj30wilson900