• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX differences Pre/Post 2014

QuarterHorse

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
Waukee, Iowa
So I see this a lot and I've been searching to find the differences. I've read about firing pin issues or non issues and thought I'd just ask the question. What should I be looking for? Part of me is just thinking about biting the bullet and picking one up in the used section but I would like to educate myself a little more before I do so.

Thanks all

Biggest is going to be the Quick Lock barrel change. The pre-14 will require a vice (I think) and about 15 minutes of your time whereas the post 14’ you just turn a 4mm allen key, unscrew barrel, screw on barrel, tourque to 49in/lbs.

Second is the obvious buttstock difference.

Third, the pre-14’ looks better! Not a huge fan of how the new buttstock looks as I prefer the more streamlined look af the AT/pre 14’ AX.

Not to sure about the firing pin size, I THINK the post 14’ rifles all come with SFP, but I’d call EO or MHSA to confirm.

Not sure about the firing pin either. When the AT came out it was large firing pin, then later changed to small. So the early versions of post-14 AX’s may have large firing pins?

You may or may not like the looks of the post-14 AX buttstock (I personally love the look), but regardless, it is way more functional and adjustable. The comb height and length of pull can be adjusted on the fly with no tools, which is extremely helpful if you’re a match shooter or have other friends/family members that will shoot the rifle. I like to adjust the LOP in and lower the cheek piece for barricade stages or where I want to free recoil. Then on prone stages I adjust them back out.

The quick barrel change is amazing and can not be overlooked as a feature. IMO, unless you are going to be putting a 308 barrel on and shooting it for 5 years before it’s shot out, I would recommend the newer version with the Quick Loc system.

Early post 14 AX’s do have large pins, I’m pretty sure it was all 14’s and most or all 15’s. Whoever is selling it be it an individual or dealer should know and will probably have it listed as such.

Post 14 gets you the quick lock barrel, 6 lug bolt, redesigned handguard that removes with two captured screws through the front grip vs a bunch of little screws, PSR right folding buttstock, and sexy colors.

I own both and IMO the new AX is well worth the cash over the old one.

Reactions: Acer76
I owned MK II, MK III and now a Post 2014 AX. I find the new stock a huge improvement over the Pre-14 version and highly recommend. The quick change barrel is also nice.

Reactions: QuarterHorse
The AT is another AI you can consider - it has the quick-loc barrel and the stock and fore end is different than the post-14 AX (same action, bolt, trigger, safety). I love my AT. The only other new model AI I would get would be the AXMC if I could ever find a place to make use of the magnum calibers.

I assume we’re talking about Short action only here. Don't forget about long action.

The long action AX has less differences between pre 2014 and post. The pre 2014 long action has a six lug bolt. The only difference between pre and post on the long action is the butt stock and quick change barrel system aside from new colors and maybe how many screws hold the fore-end on.

Pre 2014 short action Ax's came with a 3 lug bolt.

In 2014 the AT and AX short action were redesigned with 6 lug bolts.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuarterHorse