• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX vs AT-X can’t decide

SouthSurrey45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC
Hey AI fans,

Kind of in a dilemma. I see plus’s and negs for both the AX and AT-X and can’t quite decide which route to go.

I think cost will be about equal once I add some weights and a bridge so price isn’t really a concern.

AIAX in .308 delivery around November…

AT-X in 6.5cm available now

I’ve kind of always wanted an AX but never did it and now the AT-X has come out too…

This rifle won’t be used for matches. Just me shooting in some wooded areas, clear cuts around BC and some ranges. Tripod and prone.

Having a tough time deciding

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s a bad choice between those, maybe just some pros and cons to weigh.

AT-X needs aftermarket parts like a hinge, bridge, and rails to be at the same point the AIAX comes out of the box, if you look at it that way. AIAX might not be as easy to swap grips if you so choose, although it can be done I believe. Both take the same prefits, however. Both good resale value if neither tickles your fancy.

There are probably hundreds of pages across a few threads to read that will definitely help your choice.

It’s a coin toss, in my opinion. Up to you and what you want to do with it.

Reactions: SouthSurrey45
I’ve read through AI threads for a few weeks now since signing up here. I think that was the mistake and got me second guessing.

I have my name down for an AX but this wait till November is going to kill me.

I’ve read through AI threads for a few weeks now since signing up here. I think that was the mistake and got me second guessing.

I have my name down for an AX but this wait till November is going to kill me.
Just watch the px here. They come for sale in both configurations. Just do your homework and buy from reputable members

My personal feeling with the AI’s is this,

For a 308 the AT/thumbhole is what gets my fix. But I’m a fan of the AW series. The AT for me is just a more modern version of what my favorite AI has always been

The AX for me is the more modern version of the AT (which obviously it it that) but more so it’s the model that checks the boxes the AT doesn’t. I’m referring to the post 2014 or whatever year it was where they went to the modern AX stocks and added the quickloc barrel change system. I wouldn’t get the AX without those

Both keep the original trigger which works well for me. Both have the bonded chassis/action etc. Not that that’s a major deal.

I’m not sure what it is but when I look at the AT-X for some reason I see myself building a terminus Zeus/MDT ACC/Trigger of choice combo instead using the same AW mags the AI uses. I consider the AT-X more of a competition oriented rifle, which it is, and personally if I want that I don’t feel the AI would be my pick as it’s easier to swap chassis, triggers, cheaper barrels etc on the Zeus/MDT combo if I want to change something for comps

But for what your doing, which is exactly what I use my AI’s for, non comp guns. I think the AX is better.

Folding AX with a 18-20” barrel and suppressed = perfection. But the AT-X will do the same thing if it checks your boxes off. My opinion above is just that, my opinion. Others have different preferences

This is what AI 308’s are meant to be
B98A4B25-0C55-4EB3-BE77-8E0892F58F8F.jpeg

I think if I don’t get the AX I’m always going to have that itch.

The quickloc barrel is a big reason I want an AI. Just looks so easy.

If I had a bigger area to shoot and more money for ammo I’d just get a AXMC and call it a day.

I think if I don’t get the AX I’m always going to have that itch.

The quickloc barrel is a big reason I want an AI. Just looks so easy.

If I had a bigger area to shoot and more money for ammo I’d just get a AXMC and call it a day.
Don’t worry you’ll just eventually end up with both….

Here’s my AXMC
F785EADC-25C3-469E-A192-9B5BC137CD52.jpeg
0D17413C-57D2-4C38-917C-F0EE72FF8CBD.jpeg

I feel like the ATx is a diversion from a true AI in the name of catching a ride on of the match bandwagon. It’s nowhere near as refined/elegant as the AT or AX IMO. I’ll admit I’m biased bc I feel like the 30lb match rifle game is absurd and we should be designing matches for our rifles not designing rifles for our matches, so take it for what it’s worth.

JMHO, bit I'd go with the AT-X.

The AX is cool, but IMO dated. All of my gear is set up for ARCA mounts, so that is part of my bias. Bipods, tripods, everything is ARCA. So for me, the AT-X, with the ARCA rail integral to the fore end, makes it a no brainer for me. The fact that the AT-X also takes a standard AR footprint grip is also another plus. I prefer a more vertical grip, so it's an easy thing to change on the AT-X.

As far as weight, I believe the AX is actually heavier, though not by much.

The final thing that makes the AT-X more desirable in my mind, is the action having a lower bore axis (sits lower into the chassis). It does make a noticeable difference in muzzle flip, even when shooting on your belly in the prone.

While the AT-X was marketed as a "competition" model, I think it actually is an iterative improvement over many of the older AI models.

JMTCW...

JMHO, bit I'd go with the AT-X.

The AX is cool, but IMO dated. All of my gear is set up for ARCA mounts, so that is part of my bias. Bipods, tripods, everything is ARCA. So for me, the AT-X, with the ARCA rail integral to the fore end, makes it a no brainer for me. The fact that the AT-X also takes a standard AR footprint grip is also another plus. I prefer a more vertical grip, so it's an easy thing to change on the AT-X.

As far as weight, I believe the AX is actually heavier, though not by much.

The final thing that makes the AT-X more desirable in my mind, is the action having a lower bore axis (sits lower into the chassis). It does make a noticeable difference in muzzle flip, even when shooting on your belly in the prone.

While the AT-X was marketed as a "competition" model, I think it actually is an iterative improvement over many of the older AI models.

JMTCW...
Ax + Arca

5F159DD7-E64A-4629-8FF8-67B6E94D58AF.jpeg

LOL! Did it come with that stock?
If he’s willing to spend $8k+ on a rifle I don’t think the $150 rail will break him

On that note when did they get so expensive? $5300 ATX vs $8300 for the AX? Mile High pricing

That alone may make his decision

Almost a NF atacr or ZCO left over if going AT-X

I like all the updates to the AT-X so it was an easy decision for me. Positional oriented chassis was what I was interested in. for your use case either will work equally so get which ever one you think is better looking and enjoy it. :cool:

PXL_20230318_163815130.jpg

LOL! Did it come with that stock?
Not stock but an easy swap out if arca is what you’re after. I was just busting balls a little. It’s always going to come down to personal preference. Some may call the Ax and AT dated but I feel like the ATx is just a MDT ACC with a different stock.
69B4C8A5-2F25-4BC4-965D-904D42EC66EE.jpeg

If he’s willing to spend $8k+ on a rifle I don’t think the $150 rail will break him

On that note when did they get so expensive? $5300 ATX vs $8300 for the AX? Mile High pricing

That alone may make his decision

Almost a NF atacr or ZCO left over if going AT-X
Oh, it gets worse. The Canadian pricing for the AT-X has gone up close to $1,000 since this time last year - just checked my invoice vs the current ad.

1681426477355.png

1681426550169.png

Oh, it gets worse. The Canadian pricing for the AT-X has gone up close to $1,000 since this time last year - just checked my invoice vs the current ad.

View attachment 8119716
View attachment 8119718
With that difference I’d hands down take the AX.

Your actually less money with that AX than my price above. And $2k + on the ATX

Since we’re comparing rails the AX comes with full length top rail for NV. If that matters to you

Can check out an AT or action only from @MOUNTIC if that’s an option. Then a vision chassis add on. Probably still less than the AT-X price above

Last edited:
Reactions: PRDRIVER
Been down this road. Owned the AT which led to an AX which led to an ATX. Guess which one I still own? The ATX

The ATX is built with a competition mindset, yes. But, it is still as robust as a AT or AX while giving you more options.

Mine stays the same weight, 22# w/ optic, no matter the event; field hike and shoot, PRS, team matches, etc.

Last edited:

View attachment 8119716
View attachment 8119718
IIRC there was an ATX around $6800. I think it had the 26” inch barrel and a brake on it. You have to manually search for it in the search bar. At least recently you did.

I just missed a pale brown about 3 weeks ago that was $7900. I waited the weekend and called in on the Monday about an hour after the Canadian distr. opened and it was sold about 30 min before.

I’ve got an order in now for an AX but I’ll be waiting till November

IIRC there was an ATX around $6800. I think it had the 26” inch barrel and a brake on it. You have to manually search for it in the search bar. At least recently you did.

I just missed a pale brown about 3 weeks ago that was $7900. I waited the weekend and called in on the Monday about an hour after the Canadian distr. opened and it was sold about 30 min before.

I’ve got an order in now for an AX but I’ll be waiting till November
If you get the AT-X get one in a real color. Not fire truck red or bud light blue. Save those for the gender confused crowds

Thanks for the help.
Like I said going for the AX.
Started getting antsy about waiting till November but I think I’ll be happier this way.
Maybe a miracle will happen and it will arrive sooner